Oleg, Oleg, Oleg...

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited August 2015 in Pro race
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited August 2015
    There is no point adding to that

However, it's funny how the professionally appauled & outraged (looking at you Velocast & festinagirl) got all up in arms about this tweet,yet it's perfectly fine for them to make jokes about Tinkoff and Vinokourov murdering riders families. Not overly sure where the difference is.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    A racist Russian?

Come off it.
  • No difference, no.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Oleg just isn't a good person. He's gone through just about all the main -isms by now. Oleg is loaded though, so he's a colourful maverick.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    'tis the nature of the beast. I don't think it's a shock to anyone familiar with Russians......

He has to be sanctioned and heavily fined.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • ddraver
    it's been ignored (it was a few weeks ago)
    - @ddraver
  • it's been ignored (it was a few weeks ago)

Are you stuck in a Dutch time continuum, chap? :)

It was last week. Tweet was 31 Jul.
  • ddraver
    I blame the combined holiday/Tour hangovers....
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    'tis the nature of the beast. I don't think it's a shock to anyone familiar with Russians......

Does the UCI have the authority to do this? I've suggested this before, but someone said that they have no mandate for this. And even if they could, would they go out of their way to censure one of the biggest sponsors in the peloton?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Tinkov free to say things to his hundreds of thousands of social media followers that some bloke in the crowd at your average Premiership match would get arrested for?

With the appearance of more black riders in the pro peloton, the UCI might want to have a look at this.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Is calling someone a monkey racist now?? Flippin eck - I must be racist - I've been calling my nieces and nephews little monkeys for years ... and now I'm starting on my own son!

Please can someone publish a dictionary of words we're allowed to use - it shouldn't be too big - 5 pages of A7 should do it ... doesn't even need to be double sided and you can use a BIG FONT
    ;)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Is calling someone a monkey racist now?? Flippin eck - I must be racist - I've been calling my nieces and nephews little monkeys for years ... and now I'm starting on my own son!
    Are they black?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231

You're kidding, right?
  • ddraver
    Note that it was perfectly acceptable to JV to say Oleg's President looks like a woman...

Call my cynical, but somehow I suspect that JV wasnt being complimentary
    - @ddraver
  • Is calling someone a monkey racist now?? Flippin eck - I must be racist - I've been calling my nieces and nephews little monkeys for years ... and now I'm starting on my own son!

Please can someone publish a dictionary of words we're allowed to use - it shouldn't be too big - 5 pages of A7 should do it ... doesn't even need to be double sided and you can use a BIG FONT
    ;)

Oh my lord, honestly? Are you familiar with the standard racist trope of comparing black people to primates to label them as sub-human? It's been around for about a millennium now.

Now tell me you honestly can't see the difference.

@gietvangent
  • Note that it was perfectly acceptable to JV to say Oleg's President looks like a woman...

What's wrong with looking like a woman?

@gietvangent
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Note that it was perfectly acceptable to JV to say Oleg's President looks like a woman...

Didn't see it that way myself. I thought it was a reference to both La Giaconda and Putin having an enigmatic and inscrutable expression.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver

Didn't see it that way myself. I thought it was a reference to both La Giaconda and Putin having an enigmatic and inscrutable expression.

If this was blowing up in any way I'd tell you to send that to JV quicksharp as that's a cracking excuse! :lol:

I suspect events have rather moved for Senor Sideburns though
    - @ddraver
  • slowbike
    Are they black?
    Only if they've been playing in the mud ... which I do try to encourage ...

I did ask one neice if she wanted to stay at Monkey World .... she did want to at first ... :D
  • There is no point adding to that

However, it's funny how the professionally appauled & outraged (looking at you Velocast & festinagirl) got all up in arms about this tweet,yet it's perfectly fine for them to make jokes about Tinkoff and Vinokourov murdering riders families. Not overly sure where the difference is.

Oh dear doctor, how smug and self-satisfied can one man be?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    To clarify for slowmart's benefit:

Comparing children to monkeys for being "mischievous" = OK.

Comparing black people to monkeys = not OK, for obvious reasons.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Oleg obviously believes that If you have a shed load of money you can get away with anything. Oh, wait....you can. :(
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Yes, defiantly incorrect. It does make me question equality, when rappers liberally use the N word and refer to women as hoe's and b1tches, without condemnation.

The UK and many other countries have/are evolving in terms of equality). The advantage of social media now is that people can be picked up on it and hopefully evolve too.
  • Yes, defiantly incorrect. It does make me question equality, when rappers liberally use the N word and refer to women as hoe's and b1tches, without condemnation.

The UK and many other countries have/are evolving in terms of equality). The advantage of social media now is that people can be picked up on it and hopefully evolve too.

Rappers using the N word is, it is argued, a way of reclaiming the word and turning it into a tool of black identity rather than a term of abuse. Given, however, that it is usually the artists who disrespect women with the terms you quote I'm not sure of it's effectiveness but not being an African American myself its probably not my place to judge.

Many within the hip hop community are also anti the disrespect of women with such names. I'm old now and so not in touch with whats going on these days but Talib Kwali, Common, Lupe Fiasco amongst others used to be of this persuasion.

@gietvangent
  • slowbike
    To clarify for slowmart's benefit:

Comparing children to monkeys for being "mischievous" = OK.

Comparing black people to monkeys = not OK, for obvious reasons.

ok - thanks ..... I think ....

but what if you've got a child who is black - can you call them a "little monkey" ? What if you're black yourself?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    It does make me question equality, when rappers liberally use the N word

It's as if the last 50 years have never happened.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058

Does the UCI have the authority to do this? I've suggested this before, but someone said that they have no mandate for this. And even if they could, would they go out of their way to censure one of the biggest sponsors in the peloton?
    Bringing the sport into disrepute?.... covers a multitude pf sins.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, defiantly incorrect. It does make me question equality, when rappers liberally use the N word and refer to women as hoe's and b1tches, without condemnation.

Rappers using the N word is, it is argued, a way of reclaiming the word and turning it into a tool of black identity rather than a term of abuse. Given, however, that it is usually the artists who disrespect women with the terms you quote I'm not sure of it's effectiveness but not being an African American myself its probably not my place to judge.

Many within the hip hop community are also anti the disrespect of women with such names. I'm old now and so not in touch with whats going on these days but Talib Kwali, Common, Lupe Fiasco amongst others used to be of this persuasion.

JayZ recently joined the gang after his daughter was born out of respect for his daughter. I did wonder why he didn't have this for his wife?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373

JayZ recently joined the gang after his daughter was born out of respect for his daughter. I did wonder why he didn't have this for his wife?

Yes. As we all know too well, controversy sells. Not just the music industry pretty much every industry when it comes to marketing a product.