Keep the Autumn Epic going

One of my favourite sportives seems to have fallen on hard times and isn't happening this year. The Autumn Epic has a long history and seems to be respected by a lot of cyclists - it's a classic course over big hills in mid-Wales with fantastic scenery. I always mark it down as "one to do", and I have unfinished business on it - last year I bonked halfway around and crawled home, so was looking forward to having a better go this year.

I'm sure there are others who have done it regularly and will miss it. How about doing it this year anyway? This would be an independent, unsupported ride - setting off from the usual HQ in Knighton on the 4th October and following the standard course - anyone up for this? It would be free and just a way of keeping this classic event (one of the originals) going.

Fancy it? Haven't worked out much more detail - there'd be no signs, no food stops, no broom wagon - so much more like an Audax. Just would be a shame if this event bit the dust.

For the moment just trying to see if anyone else is interested, then we could work out more details later.

In case you don't know the Autumn Epic - it's 150km long with 2,800m of climbing - here's a link to the route - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/5944267 . The event website is down but there's a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/autumnepic2014?fref=ts

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Thanks I'd been looking for information on this as I was planning to ride it, done it twice some years ago and you are right it is right up there with the best uk sportives. Real shame if it has fallen by the wayside but I don't think I'd be up for an unsupported ride.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    It is/was a cracking ride, one of the best... the Elan valley loop in particular is one of the best cycling bits in the UK. In principle I'd be up for this, however I start a new job the day after, so I am in two minds about it. I would be keener if it was the weekend before as I am basically off work from mid september.

I found it very hard to organise any group ride on this site in the past... we managed to gather 5 people the first time and only 2 of us the second, so I would not expect crowds...
    left the forum March 2023
  • The route is so well designed with tough climbs separated by good flat riding sections and fast descents. You can really give the climbs all you've got then recover enough for the next challenge - so you end up doing much more than you ever thought you could. It was my first sportive so I always want to go back and see if I've improved on last year's time.

Let's see who else wants it to continue - even if an unsupported ride isn't your thing - and take it from there.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    The route is so well designed with tough climbs separated by good flat riding sections and fast descents. You can really give the climbs all you've got then recover enough for the next challenge - so you end up doing much more than you ever thought you could. It was my first sportive so I always want to go back and see if I've improved on last year's time.

Let's see who else wants it to continue - even if an unsupported ride isn't your thing - and take it from there.

I am OK with the unsupported ride idea... I seem to recall there is a cafe' in Rhayader (or whatever it is called) and I am sure we can find more, if needs be... there are also two pubs in Newbridge on Wye
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I d be up for this, only done the epic once but i remember thinking the area was like Dartmoor on Steriods.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    I fancy this, family events withstanding
  • ti_yred
    ti_yred Posts: 55
    Hi Andy,

I would certainly be interested in riding. Last year I forgot all about the bloody thing! and the year I signed up then fell ill a couple of days before the event....so if you're planning to use the 1st weekend of October I would be interested and could probably persuade a couple of other riders from Hereford to come along too.

Paul
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Second time I did it I missed that left turn that takes you down over a small bridge and I was 10 miles down the valley when I thought hang on I haven't seen any bikes for a while - it was that year there had been torrential rain early on and there was still water running across the road and realised if I was on the right route there'd be wet tyre tracks on the road. Had to stop at a farmhouse and ask directions - retraced my steps 10 miles mostly up hill and ended up almost last rider on the road ! Still enjoyed it though - that long climb and then descent to the finish used to be great fun - empty the tank on the climb and then a fast finish.

Has anyone got a gpx file of the route ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Yep, here's a Ride with GPS track of the route - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/5944267

I'll start seeing who else I can get to come along.

I'm thinking a 9am start from the car park where it has started for the last few years, and then people can go at their own pace. It's all going to have to be GPS based or people can make their own maps/cue sheets. I'm pretty sure there's a shop or two in Rhayader and then not much - pubs may be for later on. Does anyone know of places we can get water from? I can think of a public loo at about 95km that might be a useful bottle re-fill point.
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    The Elan Valley Visitor Centre has a cafe and toilets. That is at something like 79Km in so a little over halfway.

I need to look at dates and commitments but had a great ride around that area last year and would love a return visit. If I can make it I would like to join you.
  • Great stuff, I'm pushing this idea out to friends and contacts, and its great to have ideas about where we can get re-supplied on route.

Let's make it a definite date for the 4th October 9am in Knighton - put that in your diaries and get some more people involved. Nearer the time I'll do a reminder here and collate all the details of the various food/water sources around the course, and then lets go for it!
  • I'll be up for doing this too, will see if I can round up some others. Would it be worth dropping an email to the actual organisers to see if they want to be involved in any way?
  • Ah,yes. I should have said - I contacted the most recent organiser of the Autumn Epic to check they really weren't doing it (and were ok about me doing something) - now this ball is rolling I'll get back to them as they were keen to help.

I'll be up for doing this too, will see if I can round up some others. Would it be worth dropping an email to the actual organisers to see if they want to be involved in any way?
  • tlw1
    Is it worth people sending you their contact details?
  • Is it worth people sending you their contact details?

Thanks Matt,

Good idea, I'll keep people posted here but also have set up a Facebook event page where people can "join" the event, and if you're not a Facebooker then I've also got an email sign up on my website just for the Autumn Epic ride - here's the links:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/1036007829745605/

Email Updates sign up - http://www.rideventures.co.uk/epic.htm

Just good to know who's coming and to be able to contact people quickly if it has to change or get cancelled due to weather or something. I'll try to get something on www.cyclosport.org too.
  • ti_yred
    ti_yred Posts: 55
    Hi Andy,

As is typical when I plan things I've been informed I'm away that weekend in Hampshire (fishing and beer...!) I therefore wont be there, but have spread the word amongst some mates in Hereford so you should have a few there fingers crossed.
  • tlw1
    cheers Andy - Joined facemuck page
  • Tues 25th update:

Plenty of people expressing interest and signing up on Facebook or via email.

I'm starting to pull together an information sheet about places around the route where you can get food/drink and use a loo. Does anyone have any ideas for the last part of the route - from Newbridge-on-Wye onwards around to Prestigne? Looks like very small communities so not much in the way of shops or pubs until you get to Prestigne (20km from the finish).
  • Hi All,

Route cards, guidance (though this will be revised as more information comes in) plus GPS routes are all available now at http://www.rideventures.co.uk/epic.htm

We'll be starting at 9am from Knighton, sign up on the webpage if you haven't already. We'll be arranging to collect people's times so we have a record of the 11th running of the Autumn Epic. And it looks like there's a possibility of it getting back on track as a full sportive for 2016, so that's good.
  • tlw1
    Does anyone know what the parking is like in Knighton?
  • Does anyone know what the parking is like in Knighton?

The meeting point at the Community Centre has loads of parking. Last year it was Pay and Display so bring plenty of coins.
  • tlw1
    Does anyone know what the parking is like in Knighton?

The meeting point at the Community Centre has loads of parking. Last year it was Pay and Display so bring plenty of coins.

great - thank you
  • tlw1
    Are there still lots of people playing?
  • Are there still lots of people playing?

I'm estimating 30 will turn up but because it's a free one there isn't a more accurate way of predicting than my guesstimation. Weather is good so that should make a difference. I'd be surprised if there's less than 10.

I've not been pushing it as it's completely unsupported and I don't want people to just turn up on a whim and with no idea of what they are getting into. On the guidance I say "Be prepared to ride 150km totally unsupported through remote countryside." So its for the experienced and well prepped rider - this year.

In 2016 we hope to get it back on track as a proper sportive with all the usual provision.
  • tlw1
    Ok, I will be there, colnago masters and a market Drayton cc top
  • I hope the weather stays good for you. Did this route (but anticlockwise from Rhayader) last Sunday after a long Saturday in the Irfon and Elan valleys and the scenery is stunning. Good luck everyone, it is a beautiful place to ride a bike.
  • Post-ride update.
    We have great weather for it yesterday. About 15 made it on the day, with most doing the "short route" (130km) - first pictures, mainly from the classic Glascwm climb are on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_daw/sets/72157659069961449/

News/confirmation of 2016 and the return of a full Autumn Epic will come out soon. It's great to see all the interest on BikeRadar.
  • Post-ride update.
    We have great weather for it yesterday. About 15 made it on the day, with most doing the "short route" (130km) - first pictures, mainly from the classic Glascwm climb are on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_daw/sets/72157659069961449/

News/confirmation of 2016 and the return of a full Autumn Epic will come out soon. It's great to see all the interest on BikeRadar.

It's a shame as the short route cuts off the best bit and it's not that much shorter. It was a difficult day on the calendar for me... shame as the weather was super!
  • tlw1
    Post-ride update.

It's a shame as the short route cuts off the best bit and it's not that much shorter. It was a difficult day on the calendar for me... shame as the weather was super!

A couple of us managed the full route and I absolutely loved it!

Thanks Andy for organising it, its great that you made an effort otherwise I would never have ridden that route.