Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Short clip of GVA incident - punted off from behind
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EKWDjzRf_G4
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Well done Adam Yates, fantastic!

A potentially riveting race ruined by the TV coverage. I understand that there are certain peculiarities of the sport that make it harder to broadcast than some others but even so, the general standard of cycling broadcasting is stuck in the twentieth century. Dull, unimaginative camera angles, lingering shots of whichever local favourite is on the course at the expense of following the real action and the glacial adoption of new technologies are just a few of the most obvious problems. Obviously the sort of failure of the live feed that we saw today is the most catastrophic of all and always a risk when handing the rights to production companies that can't afford proper redundancy systems.

If the UCI could do what Ecclestone did for F1, take over the rights from the host broadcaster in each country and install its own production company to broadcast every race, it would be a big step in improving the quality of the product.

It's just an issue of money. Most of these races operate on a shoestring budget. When you have as many millions as you want it is easy to put on a good show.

In F1 the FiA are the governing body, and Bernie 'promotes' the races.
    So, we'd have the UCI as the governing body, and 1 company to promote/ organise all ProTour races. Simple. Except it's not. ASO, RCS et al....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Scandalous.

I've said it a lot on here - far too many motorbikes. These accidents seem increasingly common.

Shambles of a race. Is this still 1.HC? Should drop it by a rank.
  • Scandalous.

I've said it a lot on here - far too many motorbikes. These accidents seem increasingly common.

Shambles of a race. Is this still 1.HC? Should drop it by a rank.

Worse - it's WT
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Great win, great shots.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    1 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica GreenEdge 05:30:22
    2 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team 00:00:15
    3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team
    4 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Team Katusha
    5 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha
    6 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek Factory Racing
    7 Daniel Martin (Irl) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team
    8 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step
    9 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin
    10 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step
    Not a bad top 10 to lead home... Shame about GVA but a great win for Adam, wasn't this the race he crashed out of last year on the final descent whilst in the lead group?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    CLaEO7JWcAAlknF.jpg

Simon Yates‏@SimonYatess
    #justsaying

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 · 33m33 minutes ago
    @SimonYatess I would have won if . . . I was @AdamYates7 #noifsinbikeracing

Simon Yates ‏@SimonYatess · 30m30 minutes ago
    @DanMartin86 @AdamYates7 I try to be Adam all the time ! ;);)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha was just about to post it. Good on them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    BMC will drop to my least favourite team (to the levels of Festina - that's how bad) if they actually/successfully sue the organizers. Yes it was a complete disgrace and we all really feel for GvA; rules need to be put in place which stops this happening - but any decent size cash award will just kill this race and a 35 year old climbers classic in a tiny region besotted with cycling will die
    “Greg was robbed and the BMC Racing Team was robbed when this happened. I am appalled that this could occur in a WorldTour race.

“This is the second time this year we have had an incident with a local organizer of a WorldTour race where they have acted in a scandalous fashion. The UCI has been nowhere in this to resolve the problem. This comes back to safety issues in races where the local organizer of WorldTour events and the UCI are negligent in providing a safe racing environment.

“This was not a sporting incident. This was caused by pure negligence, which cost the team millions of dollars in lost publicity. Therefore, we plan to explore every legal option available to us.”

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/bmc-call-in-the-lawyers-after-scandalous-san-sebastian-moto-accident-185607#JUoIB5TlVUwu2vMA.99
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Cost them millions of dollars? Hahahaha. They have got more publicity than they would have if there was no race - which there could end up being if they successfully sue the organisers.
  • frenchfighter
    Haha that statement is ridiculous on so many levels.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Seems a bit silly of them.
  • While the statement isn't thought out incredibly well, it does highlight the need to look at the behaviour of the motorbikes on races, and who takes ownership of them.

There was another similar incident in the London GP today, with a motorbike trying to fit through a decreasing gap
  • While the statement isn't thought out incredibly well, it does highlight the need to look at the behaviour of the motorbikes on races, and who takes ownership of them.

There was another similar incident in the London GP today, with a motorbike trying to fit through a decreasing gap

And the moto who clipped Vanmarcke with his mirror and then went close enough again to pat him on the back
  • frenchfighter
    SPTDW594.jpg

SPTDW576.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    If bikes were fitted with Go-Pros style cameras then after some getting used to I reckon you could do away with half the tour motorbikes. Go-Pro + helicopters and small motorcycles = job done.

You don't need these massive BM's etc.. they're only doing 20-60km, what they need is a stable platform not a Barry Sheene replica.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • If bikes were fitted with Go-Pros style cameras then after some getting used to I reckon you could do away with half the tour motorbikes. Go-Pro + helicopters and small motorcycles = job done.

You don't need these massive BM's etc.. they're only doing 20-60km, what they need is a stable platform not a Barry Sheene replica.

well, a bit more on the descents, to be fair....
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    If bikes were fitted with Go-Pros style cameras then after some getting used to I reckon you could do away with half the tour motorbikes. Go-Pro + helicopters and small motorcycles = job done.

well, a bit more on the descents, to be fair....
    High speed is not the issue, low speeds where 1000cc bikes are too large and cumbersome are.....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    My mate does neutral service at some UK races on a trials bike with a custom wheel rack. He's also a former trackie and roadman, so understands the dynamics of a race, that's what could be missing here.
  • Only having had the Eurosport coverage to endure I can't really tell you much about the race.

I remember when that low quality coverage was standard so I am not getting too bent out of shape.

And the moto who clipped Vanmarcke with his mirror and then went close enough again to pat him on the back

That was the one I meant tbh
  • rick_chasey
    To be honest, Sep's tweet about that afterwards was a little gem.

https://twitter.com/sepvanmarcke/status/627925390682652672
    Mister motoman wanted to hug, but I had no time for that!!
    CLbW0NwWcAArGm1.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    lp2ho8.jpg