Single Speed advice

2»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's isn't zero maintenance. Like any chain, it needs at least occasional lube (which normally includes some sort of clean) else it will get noisy and rusty. The chain also wears and the tension needs adjusting through rear wheel position. The brakes need adjusting and replacing. Tyres need inflating and replacing and punctures repairing (which, in itself, is more fiddly). This is direct experience from my SS. I don't really get the enjoyment bit - it's every bit the same, in my experience, as any other bike. Just slower because, unless you have steady state unchanging conditions, it has to be. You can't accelerate from lights as fast, you can't pedal downhill as powerfully, you simply can't match the top speed of a geared bike (or, if you can, your acceleration from standstill will be dire - as demonstrated by track riders with thighs like tree trunks).

I've got nothing against SS - I love my Paddy Wagon - but let's not oversell the benefits.

I suggest the OP tries selecting a gear on his current bike and then rides for a typical week without touching the gears. That's the SS riding experience. He will then be able to make a more informed decision..
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    It's isn't zero maintenance. Like any chain, it needs at least occasional lube (which normally includes some sort of clean) else it will get noisy and rusty. The chain also wears and the tension needs adjusting through rear wheel position. The brakes need adjusting and replacing. Tyres need inflating and replacing and punctures repairing (which, in itself, is more fiddly). This is direct experience from my SS. I don't really get the enjoyment bit - it's every bit the same, in my experience, as any other bike. Just slower because, unless you have steady state unchanging conditions, it has to be. You can't accelerate from lights as fast, you can't pedal downhill as powerfully, you simply can't match the top speed of a geared bike (or, if you can, your acceleration from standstill will be dire - as demonstrated by track riders with thighs like tree trunks).

I've got nothing against SS - I love my Paddy Wagon - but let's not oversell the benefits.

I suggest the OP tries selecting a gear on his current bike and then rides for a typical week without touching the gears. That's the SS riding experience. He will then be able to make a more informed decision..

How come changing a tube is tougher? Wheel off, change. Wheel on. Unless you've got track dropouts and closely fitted mudguards?
    I find less maintenance on my FG. Not significant amounts, but less. A grubby 1/8 track chain doesn't skip, it just keeps on going.

And if you're riding SS then you're getting all the bad bits of no gears and missing all the extra smug/souplesse/one with the road gubbins that goes with fixed gear.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've shared a picture of my chain that was lubed once (I literally poured lube over the grime) for 6 months. Beyond the odd tension adjust and maintaining 1 brake it couldn't get any less. Standing outside in the cold after every commute with a hose is far too much effort for me.

As dhope alludes, if you are riding SS then you are missing out to any gains and most of the fun. When did riding a bike have to be about always being efficient? Fixed is great fun, I'm like felipe massa from the traffic lights and most of my pbs on the local 'hills' are riding fixed. Ditch the freewheel!

So in answer to the original post, don't go single speed... :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Significantly less maintenance for an SS.
  • meanredspider
    What maintenance are all you guys doing on your gears??? I hardly ever touched mine!! Hose after EVERY ride??? :shock: Hose once a fortnight in salty winter perhaps (running ice Spikers). Changing a rear flat on the SS is marginally more difficult (though we're only talking margins in this thread) partly because I don't have QR on the SS (need spanner) and partly because you need to align the wheel and tension the chain rather than throw the wheel on.

Have you seen Filipe Massa's legs? You could hide them behind your spokes :lol: Seriously, though - nobody is faster away from the lights on a SS/FG than they are on a geared bike!

Who does a significant rural commute on a SS?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Hose in central London?

How do you think I clean my bike?
  • meanredspider
    Hose in central London?

How do you think I clean my bike?

Well, that's just the point. I hardly ever cleaned my geared bike. It's a non-issue. I don't have a hose in central Amsterdam either - Lordy, I better get rid of all my geared bikes - it will be impossible to maintain them.... :wink:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    What maintenance are all you guys doing on your gears??? I

Every part of my drive train is recently replaced. It all works fine on the workstand but when I'm on the road the chain wants to jump to another gear. The problems are erratic and not consistent so seemingly impossible to fix no matter how much I tweak. It's just a nuisance and makes me appreciate the simple reliability of riding fixed because after many thousands of miles it's had zero problems. I also think it's annoying that you end up having to replace a whole cassette when only a few of the sprockets are actually worn.

No speed difference for me over a 13 mile commute. My fastest times are riding fixed.
  • meanredspider
    What maintenance are all you guys doing on your gears??? I

Every part of my drive train is recently replaced. It all works fine on the workstand but when I'm on the road the chain wants to jump to another gear. The problems are erratic and not consistent so seemingly impossible to fix no matter how much I tweak. It's just a nuisance and makes me appreciate the simple reliability of riding fixed because after many thousands of miles it's had zero problems. I also think it's annoying that you end up having to replace a whole cassette when only a few of the sprockets are actually worn.

No speed difference for me over a 13 mile commute. My fastest times are riding fixed.

Well, I'm afraid I then have to question your competence in bike fettling. But, if you really are that bad (which I doubt - I'm only pressing a point :wink: ) then get Di2 and all you need to do is charge a battery every 2 months (got a mobile? It's much easier than that and much, much, faster).

My fastest times are on a Tuesday - I'd better only ride on Tuesdays because they're faster than other days :wink:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    D'ya think Di2 would cope with my cleaning regime? :lol:
  • meanredspider
    D'ya think Di2 would cope with my cleaning regime? :lol:
    :lol:
    Di2 is amazingly robust though. A bit of dirt won't hurt it and I've submerged mine several times on rides. The chain, on any bike, will be what's killed by that level of crap. :D
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    My commute though short, is on gravel paths though Bushy Park. which chews though drive chains quite quickly.

before I used to have a SS drop bared bike's chains lasted well not at all, stretched quickly and needed adjustment before there point of no return at around 750miles, that was with good chains with cheap chains the wear was horrific.

one advantage is you can let the freewheel/chain ring wear as there is no shifting and they are cheap to replace. one disadvantage is freewheels can get iced up so get zero drive which is irritating.

the old MTB has replaced the SS on the commute just a year and bit ago.

it spent the first 8 years being used as a MTB, ie riding up and over mountains and hills etc.

Chainrings are remarkably just about okay, I go though chains at about the 1000mile mark and cassettes 1500/2000.

while it is true it is more costly to replace the whole lot, the derailleur takes up any stretch so bar infrequent oiling/cleaning so don't have to adjust the chain tension.

In terms of maintenance the old MTB is far less work, it happly plods along with a new chain twice a year, and a cassette maybe once.