Ribble Sportive Racer Help.

2»

Comments

• MikeD111
    MikeD111 Posts: 62
    Can I ask if you bought your Allez from a bike shop, if so did they recommend the 58cm and did they try you on the 61cm bike, or did you buy it second hand?

With your current setup on the Allez, how much seatpost is visible? Can you measure the saddle to handlebar drop? what is the position of the stem on the steerer tube, at the top, stem pointing up or down?

Do you get any back/shoulder/neck pains after riding your bike?

After initially being advised to go for the 59cm Sportive racing, why did Ribble change their advice to you and suggest the 56cm bike, did they give you a reason?

I purchased it new but stupidly thinking back now from a Saturday sales kid at a local store!
    I have 15.5cm of seat post + saddle.
    69cm from the seat post front top to middle of handlebars
    Not really much pain but my hands just feeling like I'm on the all the time to the point where I can't feel them after an hour on the bike. (Normal?)

A girl on the phone said 59 as I said I had a 58 and it was to small then a guy via email said 56!

Here;

Hi Ribble,

I have reviewed my current Allez that I fee small on and I'm concerned on the 56 frame you have advised to go for. My current frame is 583mm and the Ribble is on 580mm.
    I current ride a 110 stem.

Would I not be better going for a 59 and then the 110 stem on the Ribble?

A friend has a 56 sportive racing frame with 100 stem and he is only 6ft.

Thanks
    Mike

Response-

HI Michael,

At the end of the day I have to advise you as to what our frame builders and ourselves recommend. If you feel this is contrary to what you require this is perfectly fine and we will build whatever you wish to order. What I cannot in good conscience advise is anything that is counter to this advice.

It is not I’m afraid as simple as stating that a customer has a 58cms in an Allez therefore the size must be the same in another brand. Most manufacturers offer multiple geometries for their range of bikes and the sizing can change from one to another. For instance the biggest problem with the Allez comparison is that it is measured on top tube and not seat tube as our frames are.

Having looked at the Allez geometry the 58cms is most like our 56cms ( see below )

Top tube= Allez 58.3, Sportive Racing 58
    Head tube= Allez 205, Sp Racing 203
    Seat tube length= Allez 55, Sp Racing 56.

If you opt for the 59cms frame this adds 2cms to the top tube and 2.7cms to the head tube which is a fair difference.

Ribble Team.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    That's interesting, assuming that you gave them your measurements 6'2", 32" inside leg and 28" arm length they probably view you as having a long torso and short arms and legs for your overall height, as suggested on that BikeDynamics website http://bikedynamics.co.uk/bikesizingbd.htm

"Short legs

Short legs will also mean a long torso, so there is danger of the rider being too hunched up on a height suitable bike. The short legs will also mean a lower saddle height, so the distance between saddle and bars is reduced anyway. With a bit of luck, the short legs may also mean short arms which would balance out the long torso! The biggest danger here is selecting a bike based on top tube length i.e. larger than normal for overall height, but then suffering from cranks that are too long. A better compromise may be the use of a longer stem."

If you have sufficient height adjustment with your seatpost/saddle and you don't feel to low on the handle bars on your Allez, then Ribble's advise of the 56cm bike with a longer stem to create the increased room you need seems correct.

I think what I would do in your position is to order one each 120mm and 130mm Deda Zero 1 2014 model stems from wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero-1-2014/and trial fit them to your bike at home. That would at least give you a feel for how the Ribble would be. If you are careful in handling and fitting so as not to mark them you will be able to return them for a refund.
  • MikeD111
    That's interesting, assuming that you gave them your measurements 6'2", 32" inside leg and 28" arm length they probably view you as having a long torso and short arms and legs for your overall height, as suggested on that BikeDynamics website http://bikedynamics.co.uk/bikesizingbd.htm

"Short legs

Short legs will also mean a long torso, so there is danger of the rider being too hunched up on a height suitable bike. The short legs will also mean a lower saddle height, so the distance between saddle and bars is reduced anyway. With a bit of luck, the short legs may also mean short arms which would balance out the long torso! The biggest danger here is selecting a bike based on top tube length i.e. larger than normal for overall height, but then suffering from cranks that are too long. A better compromise may be the use of a longer stem."

If you have sufficient height adjustment with your seatpost/saddle and you don't feel to low on the handle bars on your Allez, then Ribble's advise of the 56cm bike with a longer stem to create the increased room you need seems correct.

I think what I would do in your position is to order one each 120mm and 130mm Deda Zero 1 2014 model stems from wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero-1-2014/and trial fit them to your bike at home. That would at least give you a feel for how the Ribble would be. If you are careful in handling and fitting so as not to mark them you will be able to return them for a refund.

Last night i was out for a ride and out the blue!! pulls up next to me a guy from Dorking out my way on his Sportive... Chances... 56 frame with 110 Stem/175 crank. We got chatting and i had a quick ride, i'm going to go for the 120 Stem!
    So i've got this;

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-29%20at%2007.58.52.png
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    [quote

Last night i was out for a ride and out the blue!! pulls up next to me a guy from Dorking out my way on his Sportive... Chances... 56 frame with 110 Stem/175 crank. We got chatting and i had a quick ride, i'm going to go for the 120 Stem!
    So i've got this;

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-29%20at%2007.58.52.png[/quote]

Well that was fortuitous, did you notice what size tyres he was running?

In your specification list you need to change the rear derailleur to match your 11-32T cassette
    Sram Rivall 22 11sp Rear Derailleur Medium Cage(32T max)
    Ribble will most likely pick that up but I would call or email to make sure.

Enjoy your new bike when you get it.
  • MikeD111
    [quote

So i've got this;

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-29%20at%2007.58.52.png

Well that was fortuitous, did you notice what size tyres he was running?

In your specification list you need to change the rear derailleur to match your 11-32T cassette
    Sram Rivall 22 11sp Rear Derailleur Medium Cage(32T max)
    Ribble will most likely pick that up but I would call or email to make sure.

Enjoy your new bike when you get it.[/quote]

I'm surprised the bike builder didn't pick up that they are not compatible. I will drop them an email

Thanks,
  • MikeD111
    New arrival :)

5ee3ebed-2c1b-4cce-92f9-44ca49246ed1.jpg

Have my first club ride on it this Sunday :oops: