Ribble Sportive Racer Help.

MikeD111
MikeD111 Posts: 62
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Currently looking to buy a new bike and wondered if there is anyone here with the Sportive racer.

I have a budget of £1100 now and have come up with the below bike spec.
Could you advise any improvements of changes I would benefit from?

Will the 56 be good for me at 6'2ft ?
Should i change the stem ?

Im not close to Ribble so i cant make the trip test.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Frame
Ribble Sportive Racing Di2 Carbon Road Frame 56cm (C-Top)
Groupset
Sram 2015 Rival 22 GXP Black 11 Spd Groupset
Hide Groupset Data
Cassette
Sram 11Spd PG1130 Cassette 11-26
Chain
Sram 11Spd PC1130 Chain With Powerlock
Chainset
Sram Rival 22 Chainset GXP Excluding Cups 172.5 34/50
Rear Gear
Sram Rival 22 11Spd Rear Derailleur Short Cage
Wheels
Mavic Pair Wheels Aksium One M 9/10/11 Shim
Handlebars
ITM Alcor 80 (31.8) Bars Black 42 c to c
Handlebar Stem
ITM R Triango Carbon (31.8) Stem Black 70mm
Headset Spacers
ITM Headset Spacer Carbon 1 1/8" 10mm
Saddle
Selle Italia X1 Flow Saddle Black
Seatpillar
CSN Superleggera Alloy Seatpillar Black 31.6 400mm
Tyres
Yaw Nitro Rigid Tyre Black/Black 700x23mm
Inner Tubes
Yaw Butyl Inner Tube 700x18/25 LV52mm
Handlebar Tape
ITM Cork Embossed Handlebar Tape Black
Bottle Cage
No Bottle Cage currently selected.
Price excluding Pedals: £1,076.10

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would give them a call, they will have the info to help you with sizing, stem etc. Your 70mm stem choice says to me you may be better on the frame size smaller than the 56cm.
    Excellent groupset choice IMO by the way.
  • MikeD111
    I would give them a call, they will have the info to help you with sizing, stem etc. Your 70mm stem choice says to me you may be better on the frame size smaller than the 56cm.

Thanks, I dropped them an email as the phones been busy when i have tried!
    Just got an email back from them with 10 minutes with some great detailed help of 110-120 Stem.

Regarding the groupset many have said stick to the 105 but I like the sound of the sram system. And think it looks nicer :roll:
    Any reason why you mention its an excellent choice?

I want this upgrade to last so went for the mavic wheel and perhaps in a few years I can upgrade again.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Absolutely no idea what those tyres are - and I suspect they'll be awful. Please do stretch to a "known" brand - Conti 4 Seasons are a good starter / training tyre.
  • MikeD111
    Absolutely no idea what those tyres are - and I suspect they'll be awful. Please do stretch to a "known" brand - Conti 4 Seasons are a good starter / training tyre.

Thanks for your advise, I will do this as i currently use the Michelin Lithion 2 Clincher Road Tyre and dont want ta downgrade! I understand the importance of tyres and thats what is on the road first :idea:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 to this advice^

Spend a little extra on some decent tyres, and go to 25mm if possible. You're only stuck to the road by 2 postage stamp sized patches of rubber; you'll get more from the bike if you make sure they are supple and grippy.
  • diamonddog

Just got an email back from them with 10 minutes with some great detailed help of 110-120 Stem.

Regarding the groupset many have said stick to the 105 but I like the sound of the sram system. And think it looks nicer :roll:

I want this upgrade to last so went for the mavic wheel and perhaps in a few years I can upgrade again.
    I have Sram on two bikes and never had a problem with any of them, one is 10 speed and now over 3 years old and still going strong the other is Force 11 speed and it works even smoother.
    The new Rival should be just as good as Force as it now has the yaw front mech.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Mike, you have specified an 11-26T cassette, wereas your Allez has a 13-36T, are you sure that 34F-26R is going to be a low enough gear, you have the chioce of 11-28T and 11-32T for the SRAM, or is it flat where you live?
  • MikeD111

I have Sram on two bikes and never had a problem with any of them, one is 10 speed and now over 3 years old and still going strong the other is Force 11 speed and it works even smoother.
    The new Rival should be just as good as Force as it now has the yaw front mech.

I have to say the Ribble pre-sale customer service is spot on! Emails back and forth and however little the question I've received long and well explained answers with advise and alternates up and down! You would think they would want you to spend mega money but they just want the bike to be perfect for your requirements!
    Will be placing my order when I'm back from work later :)
  • MikeD111
    Mike, you have specified an 11-26T cassette, wereas your Allez has a 13-36T, are you sure that 34F-26R is going to be a low enough gear, you have the chioce of 11-28T and 11-32T for the SRAM, or is it flat where you live?

No I live on the Sussex/Surrey border so it's hilly! What wild you recommend? I tend to ride both hilly and flat...
  • dj58
    Minimum I would go for would be 11-28T, however it really depends on your abilities, the 11-32T would give you a low bail out gear if need. I ride similar terrain and use 12-30T (10sp) on my bike.
  • MikeD111
    Minimum I would go for would be 11-28T, however it really depends on your abilities, the 11-32T would give you a low bail out gear if need. I ride similar terrain and use 12-30T (10sp) on my bike.

I like the idea of a bail out gear! Haha....
  • diamonddog
    ^^This is very good advice but you would need the WiFli rear mech for the 11-32 option.
  • Amvantage
    Amvantage Posts: 12
    Hi, I've got the Ribble sportive racing. I'm 5' 10 1/2 tall and was measured up by them in the showroom, ribble recommended me a size 56 with a 90mm stem. Give ribble a ring I'm sure they'll give you the advice you need over the phone.

I'm also going to agree about the lower gear, I've got an 11-28 shimano and find on steep hills I wish I had a lower gear. I'm no pro though so that's probably down to personal fitness. I'm virtually never in 11 so wish I could swap it for something lower.

I'll also agree about the tyres. I'm running 25's and could feel road buzz coming through until I reduced the pressure to the recommended psi for my weight.

I didn't get on with the saddle either. It's that slippy it may as well be covered in Vaseline. Saddles are a personal choice anyway so you may already have plans to change it for your prefered type.

Lastly, it looks like you've specced itm for most of your kit bar the seat post. If it was me I'd have to get a set from the same manufacturer.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    looks like a poor spec for the money
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    At 6' 2ft i would have thought 175mm cranks would be a better choice. And 44cm wide handlebars too.

What are your current crank length and bar width measurements ?
  • MikeD111
    At 6' 2ft i would have thought 175mm cranks would be a better choice. And 44cm wide handlebars too.

I'm not sure as I can't find the 2014 Allez measurements.
  • MikeD111
    looks like a poor spec for the money

Perhaps you could actually come up with something more constructive?
  • MikeD111
    Hi, I've got the Ribble sportive racing. I'm 5' 10 1/2 tall and was measured up by them in the showroom, ribble recommended me a size 56 with a 90mm stem. Give ribble a ring I'm sure they'll give you the advice you need over the phone.

I'm also going to agree about the lower gear, I've got an 11-28 shimano and find on steep hills I wish I had a lower gear. I'm no pro though so that's probably down to personal fitness. I'm virtually never in 11 so wish I could swap it for something lower.

I'll also agree about the tyres. I'm running 25's and could feel road buzz coming through until I reduced the pressure to the recommended psi for my weight.

I didn't get on with the saddle either. It's that slippy it may as well be covered in Vaseline. Saddles are a personal choice anyway so you may already have plans to change it for your prefered type.

Lastly, it looks like you've specced itm for most of your kit bar the seat post. If it was me I'd have to get a set from the same manufacturer.

Thanks for you input. Ribble advised me to go for the 56 frame as this is for 6-6'3 riders along with a 110/120 stem.
    Appreciate your saddle and post tip.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311

I'm not sure as I can't find the 2014 Allez measurements.

If you look on the rear surface of your left crank arm near the pedal spindle it might be printed there.

If you have a tape measure,check your bar width with that. measure from centre to centre hood to hood.
  • dj58
    The geometry table on the Specialized concept store website states that the 58cm Allez bike has 175mm cranks. http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/allez/33990/15allez
  • MikeD111
    The geometry table on the Specialized concept store website states that the 58cm Allez bike has 175mm cranks. http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/allez/33990/15allez

More concerned that the 58 Allez has a longer top tube than a 56 Racing and thats what i have been advised to go for when i want a frame thats larger :roll:
  • dj58
    Mike in your other thread viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13033310
    you say that Ribble advised you to go for the largest frame on the three bikes you were interested in. You have now been advised to go for the 56cm Sportive racing with a 110-120cm stem length.

What you need to compare is the Effective Top Tube (E.T.T.) length of your 58cm Allez, plus the length of the Allez stem, and the E.T.T. length of the 56cm Ribble Sportive racing, plus the length of either the 110cm or 120cm stem. If the Ribble 56cm with the 120cm stem has a shorter overall reach than your Allez, then go back to ribble and query the frame size advice.

If you are between frame sizes, Ribbles thinking may be that it is better to use the smaller frame with a longer stem, rather than the larger frame and a short stem.
  • MikeD111
    you say that Ribble advised you to go for the largest frame on the three bikes you were interested in. You have now been advised to go for the 56cm Sportive racing with a 110-120cm stem length.

What you need to compare is the Effective Top Tube (E.T.T.) length of your 58cm Allez, plus the length of the Allez stem, and the E.T.T. length of the 56cm Ribble Sportive racing, plus the length of either the 110cm or 120cm stem. If the Ribble 56cm with the 120cm stem has a shorter overall reach than your Allez, then go back to ribble and query the frame size advice.

If you are between frame sizes, Ribbles thinking may be that it is better to use the smaller frame with a longer stem, rather than the larger frame and a short stem.

Yes but I didn't look at the sportive stupidly.

Having looked at the Allez geometry the 58cms is most like the Ribble 56cms ( see below )

Top tube= Allez 58.3, Sportive Racing 58
    Head tube= Allez 205, Sp Racing 203
    Seat tube length= Allez 55, Sp Racing 56.

If I opt for the 59cms frame this adds 2cms to the top tube and 2.7cms to the head tube which is a fair difference.

Thoughts? .
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608

Yes but I didn't look at the sportive stupidly.

Having looked at the Allez geometry the 58cms is most like the Ribble 56cms ( see below )

Top tube= Allez 58.3, Sportive Racing 58
    Head tube= Allez 205, Sp Racing 203
    Seat tube length= Allez 55, Sp Racing 56.

If I opt for the 59cms frame this adds 2cms to the top tube and 2.7cms to the head tube which is a fair difference.

Thoughts? .
    The stack reach figures suggest that the allez has a more aggressive geometry than the sportive, thus the allez has a greater reach than the equivalent sportive model. If you had significant spacers under the stem for the allez or you are more legs then arms the sportive might have a better fit
  • MikeD111
    I'm a 32'' leg and 28'' arm... I dont know how that compares to the average.
  • dj58
    With your 58 Allez you say you feel to tucked up, what is the saddle to handle bar drop measurement, do you feel too low at the front, how is your stem positioned on the fork steerer tube, at the top with all the spacers below the stem, in the negative or positive position?

Your 58 Allez
    ETT 583 + 110 stem = 693
    HT 205

Ribble Sp 56
    ETT 580 + 120 stem = 700, or ETT 580 + 130 stem = 710
    HT 202

Ribble Sp 59
    ETT 600 + 110 stem = 710, ETT 600 + 120 stem = 720
    HT 229

Can you workout how much extra reach you need using you existing bike, e.g. if you put a 120 or 130 stem on your Allez would the bike fit, do you need more height at the bars or not?
  • MikeD111
    With your 58 Allez you say you feel to tucked up, what is the saddle to handle bar drop measurement, do you feel too low at the front, how is your stem positioned on the fork steerer tube, at the top with all the spacers below the stem, in the negative or positive position?

Your 58 Allez
    ETT 583 + 110 stem = 693
    HT 205

Ribble Sp 56
    ETT 580 + 120 stem = 700, or ETT 580 + 130 stem = 710
    HT 202

Ribble Sp 59
    ETT 600 + 110 stem = 710, ETT 600 + 120 stem = 720
    HT 229

Can you workout how much extra reach you need using you existing bike, e.g. if you put a 120 or 130 stem on your Allez would the bike fit, do you need more height at the bars or not?

I will have a measure and report back at 6:30 tonight. Thanks, Mike
  • MikeD111

I had a measure and your workings are spot on to my current setup.
    I will re-word my tucked expression;

When riding I feel like I'm pushing down hard on the handle bars because I'm sat high to get the length. If I ready at the back of the saddle and have my palms on the top of the shifters I fee more comfortable. The way I'm thinking is that if I had an extra length then I would be better off. I'm currently not able to touch the ground on tip toes without a very slight lean in the saddle.

I really appreciate your time to help me with this.

Thanks
  • dj58
    Can I ask if you bought your Allez from a bike shop, if so did they recommend the 58cm and did they try you on the 61cm bike, or did you buy it second hand?

With your current setup on the Allez, how much seatpost is visible? Can you measure the saddle to handlebar drop? what is the position of the stem on the steerer tube, at the top, stem pointing up or down?

Do you get any back/shoulder/neck pains after riding your bike?

After initially being advised to go for the 59cm Sportive racing, why did Ribble change their advice to you and suggest the 56cm bike, did they give you a reason?