Rate the Tour 2015

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    8. A thoroughly enjoyable Tour with bits of everything.

I would have given it a 9, but the witch-hunt against Froome put a bit of a downer on it for me. The constant UK Postal references across social media were tiring and ill-informed.

2 good GTs this year so far, looking forward to the Vuelta (and all the races preceding that too).
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It looks like Oleg is struggling to give this year's Tour a 4.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/oleg-tinkov/oleg-tinkov-chapeau-to-team-sky-but-theyre-going-to-kill-the-business

He is still prattling on about the "Big 4" doing the Giro AND Tour so that Alberto can have a level playing field.
    Expecting teams to start their main GC contenders in all the GTs is like expecting football teams to field the same 11 players in all competitions, it's never going to happen.

I rated this Tour a 7 as I'd have liked a better contest for the GC - imagine how good it would've been if Contador hadn't ridden the Giro, if last year's Nibali had turned up and if Quintana hadn't lost that time in the crosswinds. No real contest for green either but in terms of individual stages I can't remember following a more entertaining Tour, even the TTT was a good watch.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Oh, and I expect to see all of you "real" cycling fans in Barnsley tonight! ;)
  • Oh, and I expect to see all of you "real" cycling fans in Barnsley tonight! ;)

Nat Crit Champs FTW!
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Oh, and I expect to see all of you "real" cycling fans in Barnsley tonight! ;)

Sticking with the "Real" fans argument. To be pedantic the real fans are the ones who stand on the roadside, just as in football the real fans are the ones who go to the grounds rather than watch it on TV. There is no argument that you see much much more on TV, even the football, but you dont get the excitement, the atmosphere or the sense of occasion in front of the TV. I have seen lots of stages of the Tour from the roadside and its never less than a big party and a great day out. I watched the Yorkshire stages last year and the crowds, even 6k from the finish into Sheffield were fantastic, the noise and spectacle made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. But, the TV is much better for watching the whole stage. So roadside for me, when possible, and highlights on TV.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I am glad people go to watch it by the side of the road. It's always good to see big crowds watching and it definitely enhances my experience watching on TV....so keep it up.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I am glad people go to watch it by the side of the road. It's always good to see big crowds watching and it definitely enhances my experience watching on TV....so keep it up.
    :lol:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

Cycling fans - people who actually go and stand on the side of the road (and their really is very little excuse to not go and do it at least once a year now, even, in fact especially, in GB) want their national riders to win. Just as is the case in every sport in the world

Bold to decide who are true 'cycling fans'. Especially when adressing people who have written thousends of posts about cycling on a bloody internet forum.

Yep, but this is pretty simple isnt it Thom. The seeming lack of interest in watching cycling at the roadside goes some way to explaining why places like The Clinic exist and why we have a 60 page thread discussing doping. It's rather like a 50 yr old failed musician complaining that "rock and roll is dead" when he hasnt been to a live gig or a record shop in 40 years

Lack of interest at the roadside? What is that based on? The sport i becoming increasingly more and more popular every to the point where the organisers have lost completely control.

If you have nt been to a race recently I urge you to go....to anything...there are plenty of ways to catch the race go past AND follow the stage at the same time, it simply requires a modicum of forward planning. It's also possible to do both three whilst keeping a ready supply of beer/wine/gin flowing whilst you do. If you need some convincing have a re-read of Pross' joyful posts during Paris-Roubaix time.

I have. And i do it regularly. And as I have already mentioned, I enjoy it. Still, not remotely as good as watching it on tv (and watching Flanders at the roads in a pub, whilst popping out once in a while to see it live, is watching it on tv as well..) I think you underestimate people here. This is not some revolutionary secret recipe. I can only speak for myself but I think the majority here know how they make it as good experience as possible. This worked for Pross, it might not for other. Some don't find the work and planning worth it for the gain they get - does that make them less fans of the sport? Of course not.

And FF is a special case. You know that.

Absolutely.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Believe me TT, I'm ignoring FF...

I am referring to watching it live at the roadside and seeing the finish in the pub btw. I would argue though that watching RVV in a bar in Flanders, having seen them come past several times, is a little different from watching it on a TV at home in Clapham (no offence intended to Clapham)

I'm not going to convince mfin but even the cycling podcast guys, who have their pick of races and at the end of the day are there for work, still make a big deal of watching a race go past from the roadside so I think I'm in reasonable company
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

I am referring to watching it live at the roadside and seeing the finish in the pub btw. I would argue though that watching RVV in a bar in Flanders, having seen them come past several times, is a little different from watching it on a TV at home in Clapham (no offence intended to Clapham)

I'm not going to convince mfin but even the cycling podcast guys, who have their pick of races and at the end of the day are there for work, still make a big deal of watching a race go past from the roadside so I think I'm in reasonable company

Remember I have been to plenty of races to come to my conclusions too. At races in the UK you are lucky if you meet one or two fans a day that aren't boring enough to send you into a coma or complete dickheads. The busier the crowd the more you are trapped in amongst these people, and all the time you don't get to watch the race unfold anyway.
  • ddraver
    Well We re not going to agree, all I can say is that I tend to be a bit less judgmental of people around me
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom

Okay, it is slightly different. Of course it is. And I'd obviously head down to watch the race live if it came by my town or nearby. Of course I would.

I just completely undestand why some would rather watch it on tv than from the roadside. And they aren't any less 'fans' for that imo. That's just where getting at.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    They should set up screens at strategic points more often, best of both worlds.
  • ddraver
    They should set up screens at strategic points more often, best of both worlds.

True dat
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    edited July 2015
    6 for me.

- Great first week, middling second week, and a decent third week in the alps. Not a fan of such a late positioning of the TTT.

- The major clashes never really happened, whether in GC, sprints, polka or even lanterne rouge which was a let down.

- I'm no fan and Sagan ending up in green but never winning was a disappointment.

- Good on Froome for winning, though I struggled to warm to him. Sky seemed a more solid, cohesive squad. Strong showing from G.

- Wished Quintana had been able to ride a wee bit faster on Toussuire and Alp D'Huez.

- Delighted with the wins for Purito and Cummings. Plus the generally good showing from MTN-Q

- Crashes are inevitable but losing Martin and Cancellara was sad. Equally the number of riders that fought on while injured meant that they weren't able to animate as much as they might have - Bling, Hansen etc.

- Was good to see some innovations to help follow the race. DiData still a work in progress but good to see their analysis and some of the gopro footage was cracking (chapeau Velon maybe?)

- Cycling Podcast upped their game and had some excellent coverage. Particularly KM 0.

- Thoroughly enjoyed watching the tour roadside, though was much better the second day when we skipped the caravan and showed up with just enough time to eat lunch and then see the riders come through. Much respect for what the riders do, puts any amateur's efforts quite rightly to shame.

- No sense of hostility for Sky in the crowds I was in. The tinfoil hat brigade did excel though...

- Biggest downer overall was Il Gerva's positive[/list]
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    -Froome being f**king ace on and off the bike.

Nonsense

Froome whined all the way to the finish line:

Everyone says I dope (no they don't)
    Someone threw urine at me (grow some)
    Niballi doesn't respect me (grow some more) - high time yellow jersey privileges were consigned to the bin

I would list more if I could be assed to try to recall them - nothing worse than a sore winner..
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • mfin

Nonsense

Niballi doesn't respect me (grow some more) - high time yellow jersey privileges were consigned to the bin

I would list more if I could be assed to try to recall them - nothing worse than a sore winner..

Whined!? If someone through pîss at you you'd just lap it up without saying anything?
  • josame
    edited July 2015

Nonsense

Whined!? If someone through pîss at you you'd just lap it up without saying anything?

2 out of 3 - fine by me :) (I'll give you it was out of order but boy did he prattle on about it..)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257

Nonsense

Hmmm, how about you cycle past me and I throw a cup of piss in your face...? See if you decide to mention it to anyone or just take it on the chin and forget about it. More to the point how about someone comes to you place of work and does it whilst you are trying to do your job and did nothing to deserve it.
  • josame

Nonsense

Hmmm, how about you cycle past me and I throw a cup of wee-wee in your face...? See if you decide to mention it to anyone or just take it on the chin and forget about it. More to the point how about someone comes to you place of work and does it whilst you are trying to do your job and did nothing to deserve it.

Again I'm liking the 2 out of 3
  • mfin
    2 out of 3 - fine by me :) (I'll give you it was out of order but boy did he prattle on about it..)

He did yes, I hope someone can condense all the hours of him prattling on about it into one short 2 minute video of him making comments about it when asked.
  • thomthom

Nonsense

tumblr_n0woa98zQb1rr883co1_400.gif
  • josame

He did yes, I hope someone can condense all the hours of him prattling on about it into one short 2 minute video of him making comments about it when asked.

'Next question' is also a reply
  • -Froome being f**king ace on and off the bike.

Nonsense

tumblr_n0woa98zQb1rr883co1_400.gif

:):):)
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058

Nonsense

Hmmm, how about you cycle past me and I throw a cup of wee-wee in your face...? See if you decide to mention it to anyone or just take it on the chin and forget about it. More to the point how about someone comes to you place of work and does it whilst you are trying to do your job and did nothing to deserve it.

Again I'm liking the 2 out of 3

Son: you're a prat. What is the difference between Froome having piss thrown at him whilst doing his job (cycling) and a professional businessman having piss thrown at him whilst giving a presentation to a conference audience? And the giy on the corner banging away on his forearm telling Froome to 'F-off' in the most vile way, again if that happened at a conference? No person should have to endure that kind of abuse and no civilised person should think it acceptable to persecute another person in such a way.

I don't whether you're 15 years old and think it clever to suggest we should all act in this way or whether you're just plain dim, but whichever it is, you're clearly out of touch with reality and cycling really doesn't need your childish views.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229

Nonsense

0 out of 10 for josame.
  • josame
    Guys the vitriol is water off a ducks back I would'nt bother (I'm not froome :? ), my point is that we have a entered a new era of whining sporting champions.

Hinault, Lemond, Fignon, LA, Kelly wouldnt have batted an eye lid. Come to think of it Quintana and Bertie are quite stoic too..
  • bobmcstuff
    Quintana and Contador didn't have piss thrown at them though so it's a bit of a moot point what they would actually do in that situation (although Bertie would probably say it was hydrochloric acid and he'd broken his arm in 7 places or something).

He didn't whine that much about it, really. Personally I thought he conducted himself quite professionally given the circumstances. He mentioned it once at the end of the stage and then funnily enough people kept asking him about it. I didn't find him whiny either.

Have you ever seen clips of Lemond whingeing about Hinault d!cking him over? Pretty whiny... (he's still awesome though).
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    @friebos Jul 26 View translation
    Tour de France vintages, 2000-15
    ****2006, 2008, 2011
    ***2001, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015
    **2000, 2004, 2012, 2014
    *2002, 2005
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bobmcstuff
    Come to think of it, Quintana did actually have a "whinge" - in defense of Froome.