Rate the Tour 2015

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    its a 7 from me.
    Highlights, The 2 quintana attacks that really took the fight to Froome and Froomes corresponding all out effort on stage 10. J rods 2 great stage wins. Bardets flair and descending prowess. Valverdes teamwork when it mattered. Geriant Thomas's engine for 17 days of the tour. Wouter Poels work in the 2 hardest stages. Greipel's power in the sprints. Nibali's fantastic Stage win. Sagans perseverance and overall ability. Matt Rendalls Doorstop of Jaja. Chris Boardman, Gary Lewin and Ned Boulting.

Lowlights, Contador, a faded force that really should have concentrated on winning the tour rather than the giro, Nibalis GC effort. Cavendishes Illnesses, the spitting and wee-wee throwing, the abuse of team sky (generally). Vayer and the twatterati. the clinic frothing away... Jalabert and selected french Media people.

there are other things, but that'l do for now. was a good course and very very tough by the looks of it.

just wanted to say thanks - this saved me a few minutes of typing
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    I wonder what a fit TJ without illness in the third week following the fastest wheel leechable would have ended up? but he looked to be fading quite early after a good start.
    I seem to remember him saying a couple of days before he abandoned, quite explicitly, that he was only aiming to cling on to the 3rd place he had at that point. Given he was something like 30" ahead of Valverde at that point I don't think he'd have done it. He might have made the top 5 given how Contador was doing and how far back Nibali was, but if he never learns how to attack he's always going to have limited opportunities to do much better when there are people like Quintana and Froome ahead of him. It's never nice to see someone abandon, but I didn't see much mention of him on here once he was gone and I don't think he would have contributed a lot more to the race other than being a focus for the US fans.

yeah that seems about right. he needs a GT with a big TT in it.

He needs to work on not being so unbelievably boring first.

Off and on the bike.

Even his retirement was boring.

Word

thats harsh....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    the anti climax of froome killing the race the first day in the Pyrenees was offset somewhat by the lack of surrender by the others who kept fighting. dam near did for sky.

I have no idea what you mean by that statement. Did you expect the so called Big Four" to finish side by side on every MTF until the last one, then someone to win by 1 second? How can taking a minute out of the best climber in the peloton, in one climb, be "Killing the race"? If Quintana had taken the first climb would that have killed the race? :?:

I agree with you 100% Mike. This idea that some people are putting forth that Quintana lost it in the cross winds of Stage 2 or that Froome killed the race dead on Stage 10 is nonsense. It's only with the benefit of hindsight after the event that you could tell what the critical stages were but at the time everything was up for grabs.

The simple fact was that no-one else had it in them to challenge him substantially until he was weaked in the final couple of stages. Do you think the likes of Merckx, Hinault or Lemond would have left him unchallenged that long?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    the anti climax of froome killing the race the first day in the Pyrenees was offset somewhat by the lack of surrender by the others who kept fighting. dam near did for sky.

I have no idea what you mean by that statement. Did you expect the so called Big Four" to finish side by side on every MTF until the last one, then someone to win by 1 second? How can taking a minute out of the best climber in the peloton, in one climb, be "Killing the race"? If Quintana had taken the first climb would that have killed the race? :?:

I agree with you 100% Mike. This idea that some people are putting forth that Quintana lost it in the cross winds of Stage 2 or that Froome killed the race dead on Stage 10 is nonsense. It's only with the benefit of hindsight after the event that you could tell what the critical stages were but at the time everything was up for grabs.

The simple fact was that no-one else had it in them to challenge him substantially until he was weaked in the final couple of stages. Do you think the likes of Merckx, Hinault or Lemond would have left him unchallenged that long?

I hate the internet when people read ones post out of context of everything else one may have written in a thread.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ^this isn't a British / non-British thing

That aint how it works

Its not I know, but giving this tour anything less than an eight, when the net result was the first ever British winner of two TDF's is in my opinion pretty weird. Life isnt always like a Rocky film, sometimes someone excels to the point they are indomitable, that that someone was British should give us something to rejoice in, not moan about them, just because they spoilt the narrative.

Good to see that not everyone here is as constantly negative as Thom and DeV. Especially after the horrendous whinging on here last year that lost us a few of the better posters we had (good to see Ms Racer tentatively reappearing though ;) )

I'd go 7 as well. Fantastic 1st week which was paid for in the second as riders were obviously knackered from all the shenanigans of the first week. Then in the last week it wound up again as Movistar realised they couldn't keep waiting for Froome to crack and that they had to make an effort.

I think a few more genuine sprint stages in the middle week might help liven up the Mountain stages but also I think that there is something special about the 20-30km buildup you get with a proper bunch sprint that is lacking from the "final sharp dig" finish that Prudhomme likes so much. I think there is a slightly better balance to be struck there.

There is a lot of bullshit about "better posters" - If people have left the forum I'd have thought it's more likely to be because of the constant chat about what some idiot posted on twitter (who really gives a f**k) or bitching about what French Fighter just posted than because someone scored this Tour 6 out of 10. The post you think is "good to see" is someone saying it's wierd to score the Tour less than 8 just because a Brit won it - if that's their criteria for scoring it I admit I don't share their enjoyment in seeing someone win just because I share their nationality.

What has disappointed me are some of the xenophobic comments about the French that have appeared on here.

For the first part, you might ve been right but I know where they went, have met some of them "IRL", saw them explain why the left and know where they are now so I'm afraid I can't agree with that

For the second part, it is not xenophobic to point out that most of the crticism of Froome and Sky has come from Ireland (Digger, Kimmage, Cillian Kelly and the off the ball show) and France (Vayer, léquipe and Frane 2 - including Jalabert). That is a fact

On a wider note can we please stop pretending that other nations do not want their riders to win. That is a fallacy proffered by British cycling hipsters who have never had a british cyclist to get behind before. It is totally untrue. That the French want a homegrown tour winner is almost a cliche. That the azzuiri want an Italian to win the Giro is the stuff of cycling legend (ask Mr S. Roche). That the Basques wanted a Euskatel winner in the Pyrenees is so well known ITV sent Ned Boulting to a mountainside for a night to do a piece on it. As you well know if you stand on a berg during RVV the only talk amongst the crowd is which belgian is going to win that day and finally anyone in Utrecht for the Grand Depart will be well aware of the massive difference in volume when a Dutch rider - any dutch rider - came past.

Cycling fans - people who actually go and stand on the side of the road (and their really is very little excuse to not go and do it at least once a year now, even, in fact especially, in GB) want their national riders to win. Just as is the case in every sport in the world
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Cycling fans - people who actually go and stand on the side of the road (and their really is very little excuse to not go and do it at least once a year now, even, in fact especially, in GB) want their national riders to win. Just as is the case in every sport in the world

I will take watching cycling on TV over watching at the side of the road every single time. It's a great spectacle live, but it's a rubbish sport.

But that's just me
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Hate this new quothing system
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

I will take watching cycling on TV over watching at the side of the road every single time. It's a great spectacle live, but it's a rubbish sport.

But that's just me

No, that's not just you. I love being on the roads but let's be honest - It's quite a rubbish spectator sport when the build up often is better than the actual action.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

But that's just me

Agree. Got to be one of the most pointless sports to watch at the roadside apart from very rare times.
    To be honest when people say they are going to watch the race they often mean going to the start or finish to try and see riders and teams they like.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    That explains why your notion of "true fans" is so warped I must say...
    - @ddraver
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Can't see the appeal of watching some races live, however a beer tent on the Oude kwaremont is kind of my idea of heaven. Anyway can people stop saying Sagan was amazing he won nothing apart from the best placed losers Jersey and to be fair Griepel would of been a better winner of the points for me.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Can't see the appeal of watching some races live, however a beer tent on the Oude kwaremont is kind of my idea of heaven. Anyway can people stop saying Sagan was amazing he won nothing apart from the best placed losers Jersey and to be fair Griepel would have been a better winner of the points for me.

Some races are definitely not worth it. And proximity to alcohol is usually a key consideration for my location at races
  • thomthom
    edited July 2015
    . Anyway can people stop saying Sagan was amazing he won nothing apart from the best placed losers Jersey and to be fair Griepel would have been a better winner of the points for me.

It's based on the numerous SDs and staff who actually are close to the riders and see all the things we don't on the screen - although I think we saw enough of him on tv to celebrate his awsomeness as well. Being one of the best teammates of the entire peloton, s'hitload of top-3's, almost solely making the breakaways working (I remember lauging when a SD asked Rolf Sørensen, who was on the motorbike that day, why they weren't gaining any time on the guys in front to which Rolf just replied that as long as Sagan was going as he was they might as just call it a day)..

He was just phenomenal overall. It's not just about the victories. He's not a sprinter, you know..
  • thomthom
    Can't see the appeal of watching some races live, however a beer tent on the Oude kwaremont is kind of my idea of heaven. Anyway can people stop saying Sagan was amazing he won nothing apart from the best placed losers Jersey and to be fair Griepel would have been a better winner of the points for me.

Some races are definitely not worth it. And proximity to alcohol is usually a key consideration for my location at races

Is the correct answer. That's why it's hard to have a go at the Dutch on Alpe. We all know how great it is.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2015

Not true for everyone that people want their national riders to win, of course a lot do, but we're not all sheep.

As for (I think you are trying to say here) that cycling fans are the ones who actually go stand on the side of the road, that's crap too. The roads are lined with all sorts of people local to the event just because its an event that's close by. People who really like cycling all acknowledge that you see nothing of the sport from the side of the road. Most people that are there are pissing about taking photos with their phones anyway, and huge amounts of them are idiots too.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Hate this new quothing system

How did you rate it?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    [
    For the first part, you might ve been right but I know where they went, have met some of them "IRL", saw them explain why the left and know where they are now so I'm afraid I can't agree with that

For the second part, it is not xenophobic to point out that most of the crticism of Froome and Sky has come from Ireland (Digger, Kimmage, Cillian Kelly and the off the ball show) and France (Vayer, léquipe and Frane 2 - including Jalabert). That is a fact

On a wider note can we please stop pretending that other nations do not want their riders to win. That is a fallacy proffered by British cycling hipsters who have never had a british cyclist to get behind before. It is totally untrue. That the French want a homegrown tour winner is almost a cliche. That the azzuiri want an Italian to win the Giro is the stuff of cycling legend (ask Mr S. Roche). That the Basques wanted a Euskatel winner in the Pyrenees is so well known ITV sent Ned Boulting to a mountainside for a night to do a piece on it. As you well know if you stand on a berg during RVV the only talk amongst the crowd is which belgian is going to win that day and finally anyone in Utrecht for the Grand Depart will be well aware of the massive difference in volume when a Dutch rider - any dutch rider - came past.

Great, I would rather a British rider won I'm just not going to base my judgement of the Tour on that. 9 or 10 out of 10 for that Tour is fishing for a reaction, a typo or the judgement of someone on something I wouldn't mind trying.

As for the rest, people can do what they want, some people are uncomfortable with disagreement though I haven't seen anything on this forum worth getting upset over, blocking people for, leaving for or anything else rather than engaging in a debate, ymmv.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133

....The post you think is "good to see" is someone saying it's wierd to score the Tour less than 8 just because a Brit won it - if that's their criteria for scoring it I admit I don't share their enjoyment in seeing someone win just because I share their nationality.

What has disappointed me are some of the xenophobic comments about the French that have appeared on here.

I didn't exactly say the reason was "just" because a Brit won it, but because a great talent won it, who also happens to be British and is also the first ever British 2x winner of the tour. Both reasons to celebrate the tour not put it down.
    What more could and British cycling fan want?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Great, I would rather a British rider won I'm just not going to base my judgement of the Tour on that. 9 or 10 out of 10 for that Tour is fishing for a reaction, a typo or the judgement of someone on something I wouldn't mind trying.

As for the rest, people can do what they want, some people are uncomfortable with disagreement though I haven't seen anything on this forum worth getting upset over, blocking people for, leaving for or anything else rather than engaging in a debate, ymmv.

Can't you just accept that it's just an opinion and may differ to yours? The thread is entitled 'rate the Tour 2015' and that's what everyone has done.

56% have voted 8 or above, so I'm not sure why a 9 or 10 is 'fishing for a reaction'.

Splits in the crosswinds, Froome dropping all his rivals on the Murs, riding at the front on the cobbled stage when he wasn't supposed to be able to ride on them.

G being an absolute machine until stage 19 when he finally blew (and the telegraph pole headbutt with subsequent funny interview and tweets). Sagan in the breaks and that crazy descent, Nibalis win which obviously meant so much after all the criticism he'd had.

Froome blasting away on the first MTF, then Sky wobbling on stage 19 only for 'lil Ritchie and Poels to come good on the Alpe. The the panic thinking maybe Quintana will do it, then the realisation that he wouldn't. Froome won a Tour he didn't even seem that keen on doing when the route was announced, it was supposed to be made for Quintana.

And who can forget Cummings flying past Bardet and Pinot who had no idea what had just happened.

That's why I give it 10/10, Froome winning is worth an extra point at least.
  • ddraver
    I think a lot of you need to go watch a race go past again, you ve forgotten what it is that makes the sport great to watch. DeV, Geit van Gent and I are spoiled for choice obviously but you peeps at home have the ToB, Women's tour, the tour series, the nationals (depending), whatever the surry classic is called this year to play with.
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    [
    That's why I give it 10/10, Froome winning is worth an extra point at least.

OK so you aren't fishing and obviously not a typo.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • thomthom
    edited July 2015

Bold to decide who are true 'cycling fans'. Especially when adressing people who have written thousends of posts about cycling on a bloody internet forum.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I've been beside the road a good many times before deciding that nearly been run over by the thousand cars that preceed the race, followed by the tiny amount of time the riders whizz by, followed by the hundreds of cars that try and run you over afterwards is a complete waste of time. And thats not the mention the loons, the people who know nothing about the riders, the national nutters, the camera and tv obsesssed people. Of course it is typically very annoying to get there and back.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    I urge you to remember the difference from those of us who think it's an underwhelming sport to watch live and then FF's view of it..
  • ddraver

Bold to decide who are true 'cycling fans'. Especially when adressing people who have written thousends of posts about cycling on a bloody internet forum.

Yep, but this is pretty simple isnt it Thom. The seeming lack of interest in watching cycling at the roadside goes some way to explaining why places like The Clinic exist and why we have a 60 page thread discussing doping. It's rather like a 50 yr old failed musician complaining that "rock and roll is dead" when he hasnt been to a live gig or a record shop in 40 years

If you have nt been to a race recently I urge you to go....to anything...there are plenty of ways to catch the race go past AND follow the stage at the same time, it simply requires a modicum of forward planning. It's also possible to do both three whilst keeping a ready supply of beer/wine/gin flowing whilst you do. If you need some convincing have a re-read of Pross' joyful posts during Paris-Roubaix time.
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think a lot of you need to go watch a race go past again, you ve forgotten what it is that makes the sport great to watch. DeV, Geit van Gent and I are spoiled for choice obviously but you peeps at home have the ToB, Women's tour, the tour series, the nationals (depending), whatever the surry classic is called this year to play with.

More likely it will remind people just how crap it is to watch in person. You see nothing unfold, you just get to experience hanging around with a load of other people who like hanging around, most of them boring as god knows what, if that's your thing though fair enough.

If it's seeing shiny bike gear you like then you can always go to watch a sportive and sit yourself on a hill, that way an endless stream of cyclists will dismount and push the latest and most expensive gear past you for you to look at.

If you want to see team buses and people walking in and out of them then you really need to get a life.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    This is more like Rate the Member :shock: I'm loving it.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    8 to 9/10 for me.

First week superb. Second week some interesting winners. Explosive end to third week.

Passed the 14 or more interesting stages test.

Sky fragility even on the allegedly boring mountain/medium mountain stages (oh how they wish they could back to the Wiggins Tour when they really did dominate). Find some of the criticism of Movistar a bit strange - some of their attempted attacks chased by non-Sky teams with positional GC ambitions.

Loved some of the wins outside of the big GC stages (Geschke, Cummings, Rodriguez showing them all up the Huy, Majka ignoring team orders, Stybar's opportunistic late atatck in Le Havre).

People seem disappointed over the lack of a true big four battle but Contador was never likely to challenge and Nibali clearly off form all season. Don't judge against the hype, judge against the action.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    But if I watch from the side of the road, I don't have to listen to Phil, Paul or Carlton.