Power Meter

sirmol
sirmol Posts: 287
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Just looking at power meters for training, what are people's experiences with them? What is the cheapest one you can buy is it Stages Power Meeting? Any other thoughts/opinions?

Cheers

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    For not much more than the cost of a Stages power meter, you can get a Power2max complete crank system. For cheap, there is the 4iiii Precision power meter but it has been fraught with problems and I think you still need to send off your crank arm for them to send you one with the device cemented on.

DC Rainmaker has pretty good reviews of the main devices and it really comes down to how much you want to spend and whether you want to be able to easily switch it between bikes, or be able to keep it when you sell the bike on. Do you want accurate L+R balance or are you happy with L+R balance estimation? The former means more money and the latter is good enough for Sky, and unless you're anal about what your actual L/R balance is, good enough for the majority.

Personally, I looked at Stages, but enough people at the time were saying they were having problems with battery failures and water ingress that I looked elsewhere. I looked at 4iiii but the delays and rigmarole to actually get the device put me off. I use Speedplays so Garmin Vector were no use to me. I looked at and bought a Rotor LT-R but switched it for a Power2max Type S as it was a better deal, didn't need any faffing about with calibration, fitted my existing Rotor cranks and claim not to be effected by oval rings.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited July 2015
    I would recomend Stages. Merlin Cycles have a deal on at the moment.

http://tidd.ly/31f71c2d
  • sirmol
    cheers guys
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you're running Shimano Hollowtech then Merlin have a good deal on 6700 Silver, which is great if that's what you're already running but if it's not then you might have a mismatched crank, depends if that's important to you ;)

We seem to be on the verge of some big price decreases in power meters, they will be coming down in price significantly, but at the same time it's not something to hold your breath for, probably in the 2-3 years timescale.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    If you're not racing then Stages is fine. Otherwise go for Power2Max or Quarq Riken.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Just looking at power meters for training, what are people's experiences with them? What is the cheapest one you can buy is it Stages Power Meeting? Any other thoughts/opinions?

Cheers

When you say training, what do you mean? IMO unless you're following a dedicated plan with aims and goals in mind then I honestly wouldn't bother. I race TT's and HC's so to me it's useful in achieving my goals but sometimes I wish I'd never bothered.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    The new Rotor InPower is also worth a look
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

Cheers

When you say training, what do you mean? IMO unless you're following a dedicated plan with aims and goals in mind then I honestly wouldn't bother. I race TT's and HC's so to me it's useful in achieving my goals but sometimes I wish I'd never bothered.

Interested to know why? I mostly 'commute' with mine and find them brilliant, even if just for having some numbers on the road (along with the other post ride benefits).
  • markhewitt1978

Interested to know why? I mostly 'commute' with mine and find them brilliant, even if just for having some numbers on the road (along with the other post ride benefits).

What do you do with the numbers while riding, if anything?
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471

What do you do with the numbers while riding, if anything?

^^ This. And I guess it would depend on your commute too, if you're stop starting all the time then what benefit are you getting?
  • markhewitt1978
    Note I wasn't trying to make a point; I'm just curious as to how to use the numbers.
  • iPete
    OK so it's a 20 mile commute that can be extended, so chuck it in the general riding bin.
    How do I use them? Once you know your zones you can ride in them; that's the point, no? The benefit is knowing how hard you can work and for how long.
  • Grill
    OK so it's a 20 mile commute that can be extended, so chuck it in the general riding bin.
    How do I use them? Once you know your zones you can ride in them; that's the point, no? The benefit is knowing how hard you can work and for how long.

You're doing it wrong. You need a PM as much as a hole in the head. Sell it and buy a few pairs of Air Force Ones instead.
  • iPete

You're doing it wrong. You need a PM as much as a hole in the head. Sell it and buy a few pairs of Air Force Ones instead.

Do they come in SPD or SPD-SL?

I'm being overly simplistic but that's one small part of my experience with them, smashing out some commutes. Perhaps you want to go into more detail for the OP on your own experience with them..

For the OP, I also find them somewhat useful for racing but only when trying to close a gap or when on the front. When you need to hold a wheel, you do what you gotta do!
    Hill climbing, great for pacing, should be handy for the end of season Hill Climb TTs.
  • Grill
    PM's are useful for structured training and pacing whilst racing. I can't imagine using one for anything else. I was in the Alps last week and a PM would have simply diverted attention from the beautiful scenery. Even if you're one of those that likes to commuter race (lord knows why...) PLF is a better way to go about it.
  • iPete
    Commuting and racing are done separately; the PM is deffo more useful for training (which is also done whilst commuting, mind blowing stuff) but 4 years of PLF didn't do any harm.

Sirmol whilst I'm happy with both powertaps the Merlin 6700 Stages offer (£399) would be very tempting right now or an offering from power2max but do have a read of this..
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/buyers-guide2014-edition.html
  • sirmol
    Decisions decisions
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Frankly there's quite a lot of arrogant crap talked about PMs to my mind. "A PM's not for you, sonny, leave it to us racers" etc etc.

Getting a repeatable measure of how much work you're doing on the bike is pretty much the most fundamental measure there is. Doesn't matter how hot, cold, windy, hilly etc it is or what gear you've used or how you feel - the work you've done is the work you've done. Exercise is, after all, why most of us ride. Now the price us around the same as a mid-range smart phone or a tablet or a pair of modest wheels etc I really can't see why there's even a debate. I've had my Stages for about 15 months - it's added a dimension to my riding and it has certainly kept me motivated when I've been riding headlong into a Dutch headwind with nothing much to look at but the number on the screen (whilst the speed number has been depressingly low and the time number depressingly high). I've used it for Time Crunched training, I've used it to pace myself on the more challenging rides, I've used it to measure progress and I've used it to get a more accurate idea of calories burned. Essential? No. But then what is? Even those who race are only racing those that turn up on the day.

Good bit of kit and everyone who wants one should just get one.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sirmol
    Frankly there's quite a lot of arrogant crap talked about PMs to my mind. "A PM's not for you, sonny, leave it to us racers" etc etc.

Getting a repeatable measure of how much work you're doing on the bike is pretty much the most fundamental measure there is. Doesn't matter how hot, cold, windy, hilly etc it is or what gear you've used or how you feel - the work you've done is the work you've done. Exercise is, after all, why most of us ride. Now the price us around the same as a mid-range smart phone or a tablet or a pair of modest wheels etc I really can't see why there's even a debate. I've had my Stages for about 15 months - it's added a dimension to my riding and it has certainly kept me motivated when I've been riding headlong into a Dutch headwind with nothing much to look at but the number on the screen (whilst the speed number has been depressingly low and the time number depressingly high). I've used it for Time Crunched training, I've used it to pace myself on the more challenging rides, I've used it to measure progress and I've used it to get a more accurate idea of calories burned. Essential? No. But then what is? Even those who race are only racing those that turn up on the day.

Cheers, I want one to actually train with as it gives me some indication of how to train. I've read up on different training plans for weight loss, power, speed etc and most use power as a basis for all training. Will be searching for a second hand bargain i think. :)
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205

+1 MRS. I have one not racing just like the numbers. I use a power meter on my indoor trainer for training and the one on my bike for fun.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

I don't race, but find a PM very useful for training and survival on an endurance ride. HR zones have too many variables whereas power is what it is and going by RPE alone too prone to underperforming. Following a stroke caused by a torn artery in the neck from a crash, they discovered I've got a hole in the heart explaining why I struggle to get a second breath. By using my power zones (established every 6-8 weeks) I can avoid over stressing unnecessarily. My heart and power balance may never get to be running parallel, but it is easy to see improvements.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    philthy3 wrote:
    Following a stroke caused by a torn artery in the neck from a crash, they discovered I've got a hole in the heart explaining why I struggle to get a second breath. By using my power zones (established every 6-8 weeks) I can avoid over stressing unnecessarily. My heart and power balance may never get to be running parallel, but it is easy to see improvements.

Really sorry to hear about your heart issues and stroke mate. I guess a crash can have some positives, in your case the heart condition being recognised. Glad to hear that you are able to carry on riding though. Hope your condition continues to improve.

Back to the OP, i am in the same boat. I have looked at and considered pretty much every PM out there under a grand but have now decided to wait until the BePro pedals get a full review (DC Rainmaker has promised one soon). If they do live up to the hype then they will be a bargain.
  • KheSanh
    KheSanh Posts: 62
  • markhewitt1978

Belting! It's almost worth changing your groupset to match at that price!
  • iPete
    If I didn't already have a track powertap that'd be going straight on my fixie, great offer.

There must be some new models coming..?
  • markhewitt1978
    If I didn't already have a track powertap that'd be going straight on my fixie, great offer.

Team Sky was spotted using a Stages with "prototype" written on, so I think it's a safe bet there is. Also they are selling off some of those which are for older groupsets, like 6700.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Team Sky was spotted using a Stages with "prototype" written on, so I think it's a safe bet there is. Also they are selling off some of those which are for older groupsets, like 6700.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/stages-prototype-power-meter-spotted-video-44698/
  • KheSanh
    KheSanh Posts: 62
    I have a new Rival chainset and BB that I haven’t got round to selling if anyone is wanting one? I bought the groupset on special and didn’t need the chainset. PM if interested as will be selling it for a good deal.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Getting a repeatable measure of how much work you're doing on the bike is pretty much the most fundamental measure there is. Doesn't matter how hot, cold, windy, hilly etc it is or what gear you've used or how you feel - the work you've done is the work you've done. <snip>

Seconded ... I'm using one on my TT bike, but also swap it over to the road bike for the occaisional "big" ride - it's quite handy on the TT bike to see if my power is about consistent as the weather/road conditions do make a big difference in TT time. eg, I've seen that over the last 6 weeks I've dropped about 20w - totally consistent with the lack of sleep and lack of training due to being a part time life support machine - I'm rather hoping that in 15-20 years time he'll pull me around some rides .... anyway, I can see that my times have increased due to the lack of power and out of TT season (if I ever get the chance) I can work on getting that power back - entirely measurable .... to the accuracy needed for me.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I bought a Stages last year to help me train for the Etape. I couldn't find anythibg to train on which was comparable to Tourmalet but I could find long, flat or undulating, stretches where I could try and maintain a 240W average for an hour and 45 minutes. That's what I needed to do to get up Tourmalet and training for a few weeks with a power meter gave me the confidence to know I could cope with Tourmalet and Hautacam.

I'm not suggesting that I absolutely needed a power meter but it certainly helped me focus my training and I don't regret buying it for a minute. I guess it comes down to a choice of how to spend whatever disposable income you have