New bike dont want to ride

Lungs94
Lungs94 Posts: 160
edited July 2015 in MTB general
Does anyone get this feeling? I can ride my second hand bikes which were 1k+ a piece but I'm scared of using my new bike (Trek Slash 7) which I broke the bank to get, this. So I was wondering what you guys were like when you first broke the bank or spent alot of money for a bike, was you cautious or were you like "hell yeah lets hit the trails"
Bikes:
2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic

Comments

• I was really careful when I first got my whyte last year.......then I crashed and scratched it. I'm able to ride it much faster the more scratches and dings it gets.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Sounds like the things you own have ended up owning you. A bike exists for one reason - to be ridden. My Kona arrived at 8pm on a Friday evening. At 10am on Saturday morning it was on the trails at Bike Park Wales. Go ride.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I spent £3.5k building my last FS,first ride out crashed it a scuffed the full length of the left fork lower.... No point having it if it's not going to get battle scarred.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My last complete bike cost me nearly £4k, almost double my intended budget.
    I picked it up Friday, rode it hard Saturday and did a downhill race on Sunday.
    Better to ride it and get a few cosmetic marks on it than not use it. My current trail bike ended up with a big dent in the down tube first ride. It still rides brilliantly and causes no problems but now I'm much less cautious and less worried about scratching it.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Your Slash is a ripper of a bike and needs to be ridden.

You can protect the frame for a lot of scratches and dings if you get an specific Invisiframe for the Slash for around £70 http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/TREK or buy some 3M helitape for around a tenner and DIY.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • There is only one purpose for a bike and that is to be used and ridden. Don't let it become an ornament, the occasional mark shows that you use it, it's what it was built for.

I did feel a little precious over mine at first, hearing stones pinging off the down tube used to make me cringe a bit. I enjoy getting out for rides so much that it didn't stop me hammering it down the trails just as I did with my old bike. That's what I bought it for and to be truthful how often do the little marks even get noticed? Just enjoy using your bike for what it's for :wink:
  • Lungs94
    Thanks guys! I'm going to have a go tonight, I've rode it around It's taking it on a trail or rockies that worry me I'll get too confident & there goes all that paintwork! I need to man up but easier said than done, I'm going to force myself! wish me luck
    Bikes:
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Slash is a hard riding bike. If you don't give it a good hammering on the gnarliest trail you can find then you have wasted your money.
    Did you buy a bike to look at or to ride?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Got my new bike a couple of months ago and was the opposite, I wanted to see how it compared to my other bikes on every trail!

Sure i'm a bit concerned I'll crash and ruin it (nearly but not yet thankfully), but its worth going for it. I enjoy nothing more than testing the limit of myself and the bike, always makes for a memorable ride!
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Reminds me of Star Wars figures, original Palitoy boyos from the late 70s. I see these mint, still in box ones fetching crazy prices and i think of my battered, light sabre/cape/limb missing specimens that arent worth poop. No regrets cos i played with them to death, that's what they were for and I loved every minute of it...
    Ive just spent 2.5k on a new Trance 1 and im out for a razz whenever poss, seeing what i can throw at it, how it handles etc, having an absolute blast. The risk of damage/cost of bike calculation hasn't entered my head for a second.
    You've asked a pretty odd question...and i think were all in agreement; stop fannying about and go and ride the damn thing!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Scars on bikes are just reminders of great rides and signs of a bike which has been enjoyed.
    A bike in pristine condition might look nice but if it's never been enjoyed then what's the point?
  • Angus Young
    It's taking it on a trail or rockies that worry me I'll get too confident & there goes all that paintwork!

Bizarre.
  • Lungs94
    Ok so I see everyone thinks this is an odd question, but I didn't ask if you think it's an odd question I asked if you were concerned of crashing or scratching your new very expensive (to me) bike, I reckon people took it literal when I said I didn't want to ride it, ofcourse I wanted to ride it I just didn't want to trash it 1 day after buying it, to the people who are saying "bikes have scars & it's a sign of well used" perhaps but I'd much rather have a clean tidy bike than a badly scratched bike that looks like it's been through wars
    Bikes:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    'New bike don't want to ride' reminds me of my first girlfriend to whom the opposite sentiment applied. She however did not concur.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You had the hots for a manky old fatbike?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    perhaps but I'd much rather have a clean tidy bike than a badly scratched bike that looks like it's been through wars

Then mountain biking isn't for you. Join us in the road cycling forums ;).
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup spent over 4k on the last bike, straight out and smashing it.. the only marks that annoy me are ones I get from being stupid putting the bike in the car and what not.. I'm fine with ones from riding lol!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yup spent over 4k on the last bike, straight out and smashing it.. the only marks that annoy me are ones I get from being stupid putting the bike in the car and what not.. I'm fine with ones from riding lol!

That.

Managed to keep the Solaris pretty blemish free but the Bandit was one of the very early Transitions into the UK and had a very soft paint which marked at every opportunity so it's got downtube marks from the roof rack holder :(
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Lungs94

That.

Managed to keep the Solaris pretty blemish free but the Bandit was one of the very early Transitions into the UK and had a very soft paint which marked at every opportunity so it's got downtube marks from the roof rack holder :(
    But why keep it blemish free, I thought the point of buying a mtb was to trash it? Or as they call it "battle scar" Amiright?
    Bikes:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    You had the hots for a manky old fatbike?
    No because she was going out with you at the time.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

That.

But why keep it blemish free, I thought the point of buying a mtb was to trash it? Or as they call it "battle scar" Amiright?

I haven't tried to at all, it just is!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Lungs94

That.

I haven't tried to at all, it just is!
    You're doing something wrong if your bike isn't trashed! Throw it off a mountain, then it will have all those amazing "battle scars" you'll fit in nicely. The more "battle scars" the better
    Bikes:
  • Angus Young
    You're doing something wrong if your bike isn't trashed! Throw it off a mountain, then it will have all those amazing "battle scars" you'll fit in nicely. The more "battle scars" the better

You're missing the point - it's in the nature of mountain biking that your kit will get marked. The only time it's going to look perfect is on the day you get it before the first ride. As someone else suggested, if this is an issue for you then Mountain biking is not the game for you. Mountain bikes get injured as a matter to course. The only way to avoid that is to not ride it. And an unridden mountain bike is a pointless ornament. This is like saying you're going to take up boxing, you've bought all the kit but you're going to leave it a while before stepping into the ring in case you get a black eye. You're going to get a black eye, does it matter if it's this week or next week?

I agree with Thewaylander, the only marks that bother me are the ones from me being too lazy to put a bit of effort in when putting the bike in the back of a van. I get annoyed at myself for those.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think a bike looks better with a few scars. They show that it's been enjoyed.
  • Lungs94

You're missing the point - it's in the nature of mountain biking that your kit will get marked. The only time it's going to look perfect is on the day you get it before the first ride. As someone else suggested, if this is an issue for you then Mountain biking is not the game for you. Mountain bikes get injured as a matter to course. The only way to avoid that is to not ride it. And an unridden mountain bike is a pointless ornament. This is like saying you're going to take up boxing, you've bought all the kit but you're going to leave it a while before stepping into the ring in case you get a black eye. You're going to get a black eye, does it matter if it's this week or next week?

I agree with Thewaylander, the only marks that bother me are the ones from me being too lazy to put a bit of effort in when putting the bike in the back of a van. I get annoyed at myself for those.
    Bike scratches are inevitable I have no issues with that, like someone else stated the more scratches & dings it gets the less you care about crashing, but you're missing the point the question I asked or thought I asked was; "when you get a new bike are you cautious" I never once mentioned that I was never going to ride it, I just don't want to trash\break it after spending alot of money! anyway this topic is past its time as I have already crashed 3 times attempting 15ft jumps f& drop offs which are above my skill level, very sore
    Bikes:
  • Angus Young

Bike scratches are inevitable I have no issues with that, like someone else stated the more scratches & dings it gets the less you care about crashing, but you're missing the point the question I asked or thought I asked was; "when you get a new bike are you cautious" I never once mentioned that I was never going to ride it, I just don't want to trash\break it after spending alot of money! anyway this topic is past its time as I have already crashed 3 times attempting 15ft jumps f& drop offs which are above my skill level, very sore

And what I posted is the answer to your question: No. It's going to get injured, might as well be this week as next.
  • Lungs94

And what I posted is the answer to your question: No. It's going to get injured, might as well be this week as next.
    Bike has no marks or scratches, (that I know of yet) I'm going to try again tomorrow as I've done them jumps before (I built them) with ease I was most likely thinking too much about the bike, & not concentrating so I really am not concerned about scratches as I'm going to protective tape it
    Bikes:
  • rockmonkeysc
    15 for long gap jumps or 15 foot drops?
  • Lungs94
    15 for long gap jumps or 15 foot drops?
    Well approx 14 ft gaps, I tried a 5ft drop to flat but didn't work out as I didn't have enough speed
    Bikes:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Speed makes no difference to drops to flat and 5' is pretty big to flat.
    14' is tiny on a bike like a Slash, I do jumps more than double that size on a bike with a lot less suspension. You just need to commit to it, carry some speed in to it and pump the lip.