Why there is no fighting in last TDF stage?

2»

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Delete.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Personally I never found there is much point in a 21 day race that ends on the 20th day... the parade is largely un-necessary and boring and I would rather see a meaningful final stage, even if that means cutting the Tour to 20 days instead of 21 to help those tired legs.
    But of course others prefer to bask in premature celebrations, that come from a tradition of repeating the same rituals over and over even these are rituals and not rules.

Of course 1989 became an iconic edition because they decided to gamble on a different route which incidentally paid off
    left the forum March 2023
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Just seen it announced by the Judges of the race rather than by Christian Prudhomme

17:38
    Final time on the first passage on the Champs-Elysées
    Decision of the judges: the final times of the 2015 Tour de France will be taken at the first crossing of the line on the Champs-Elysées at km 41
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Personally I never found there is much point in a 21 day race that ends on the 20th day... the parade is largely un-necessary and boring and I would rather see a meaningful final stage, even if that means cutting the Tour to 20 days instead of 21 to help those tired legs.
    But of course others prefer to bask in premature celebrations, that come from a tradition of repeating the same rituals over and over even these are rituals and not rules.

Of course 1989 became an iconic edition because they decided to gamble on a different route which incidentally paid off

Completely agree - a TT around that course would be epic. Although in their rain gear the riders - especially in their small groups having a chat - looked more like a club ride than I would have thought possible
  • ugo.santalucia
    Just seen it announced by the Judges of the race rather than by Christian Prudhomme

17:38
    Final time on the first passage on the Champs-Elysées
    Decision of the judges: the final times of the 2015 Tour de France will be taken at the first crossing of the line on the Champs-Elysées at km 41

Anyone going to the pub then?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

Do I need to say it again? There is more to a GT than the GC. I would like to see you explain to whoever wins today's stage that it was a meaningless parade.
  • ugo.santalucia

Do I need to say it again? There is more to a GT than the GC. I would like to see you explain to whoever wins today's stage that it was a meaningless parade.

The reality is that if the yellow jersey is 10, then the green one is 0.1 in the public interest. Flat stages with predictable sprint finish don't make for good TV... for years they have tried to tinker the Milan-Sanremo finale to avoid a bunch sprint, which is a depressing way to end a 300 Km race.

The bunch sprint is a depressing way to terminate a grand tour, IMO
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    The reality is that if the yellow jersey is 10, then the green one is 0.1 in the public interest. Flat stages with predictable sprint finish don't make for good TV... for years they have tried to tinker the Milan-Sanremo finale to avoid a bunch sprint, which is a depressing way to end a 300 Km race.

The bunch sprint is a depressing way to terminate a grand tour, IMO

Don't care what the "public" think. They are missing out. Don't see that a bunch sprint is any less worthy or predictable than any other stage. Think it's a great way to finish the Tour. I can't imagine it finishing it in any other way.

Anyway, why are you still here? I thought you weren't interested.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

It would be weird to finish on top of Alpe Dhuez then have everyone go home.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!