Saddle width and sores question.

2»

Comments

• surfgod
    surfgod Posts: 97
    If your sit bones are 120mm apart, then you should be sitting on a 150mm wide saddle. Why not go to a specialized dealer and have your sit bones measured on their ass o meter thingy..? My sit bones are 130mm and find the specialized romin 168mm incredibly comfortable..
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    yes, ideally i want to try a romin but they come in 143 and 168 widths, so i suppose the 143 would be better suited?
    i googled specialized dealers and my lbs came up as one, but clearly they dont have sit bone measuring devices or loan saddles.

only got out for 6 miles yesterday on the arione, will ride to work tomorrow and do a longer route home, that should give some idea of that one.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    yes, ideally i want to try a romin but they come in 143 and 168 widths, so i suppose the 143 would be better suited?
    i googled specialized dealers and my lbs came up as one, but clearly they dont have sit bone measuring devices or loan saddles.

only got out for 6 miles yesterday on the arione, will ride to work tomorrow and do a longer route home, that should give some idea of that one.

Both my Romin's are 155, they come in three different widths I think. I started out on a 168 which was ok on my Giant Rapid but was too wide when hunched down lower on a Defy.
  • fudgey
    Ah ok, thanks for that.

i have been on google and it looks like the closest specialized dealer that offers the body geometry bike fit stuff is total fitness in bath, looks like they have all the measuring kit etc so i might make a trip over this weekend.

they offer the 30 day exchange service.
  • undapressure
    undapressure Posts: 116
    They did however have a couple if fizik ones and because i can touch my toes recommended the arione. Unsure of its width and its an odd shape but i paid a depost (fully refundable) and now have a purple and yellow saddle to try for a week.

I don't think it matters one jot whether or not you can touch your toes. I can get my palms flat on the floor comfortably and found the Arione akin to sitting on a scaffold pole yet the Antares is the most comfy seat I have owned. I'm reasonably confident that pro riders such as Talansky, Froome and Nibali are far more flexible than you yet they ride Antares/Aliante saddles which are for Chameleons/Bulls in the Fizik range.

I would first off spend some money on a decent bike fit to make sure that your saddle is in the right position and at the right height, you have the correct reach and stack and then start looking at saddles. I had one occasion with saddle sores when I started riding which was cured with a proper fit. IMO a good fit is one of the most undervalued and unappreciated parts of your bike. Once you have your fit sorted, then start looking at saddles if the problem persists.
  • fudgey
    I am considering a fit actually, total fitness i mentioned earlier offer a fit for £120 using the specialized body geometry fit.

i have no idea what that entails but may have to bit the bullet and go for one.
    i can just about get my fists on the floor after a little stretching, but i guess that does not mean a whole lot...
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    No it doesn't - but subject to your age it's quite good. But you don't pedal with your fists. It's your position on the bike, if your knee(s) move laterally and if so how much etc. If the fit solves some or all of your issues it's money well spent
    M.Rushton
  • fudgey
    yes i guess it would be, i mentioned already that my right knee moves in a kind of eliptical way as it nears the top of the pedal stroke.

the only thing that puts me off is paying say £120 for the initial fit, then needing to spend a load more on bits to make it right. i imagine it can get very expensive.

anyway i have emailed total fitness to see if they offer fits at weekends so will see what they say.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Unfortunately there may be expenses. in our case, it was 2more saddles @£90 each hving ascertained the original one we bought was correct. That's £270. The map was £150 and new insoles £90. Hopefully yours will be less
    M.Rushton
  • fudgey
    Thanks for the info, well they are booked up until mid october for weekends at the mo, and i am waiting for an MRI on my knee and should get the results at the beginning of september so i said ill wait incase i need surgery. but will still try and get over to the shop this saturday and have a look at the saddles/see if they can measure me.
  • undapressure
    undapressure Posts: 116
    Thanks for the info, well they are booked up until mid october for weekends at the mo

I've had the BG fit and a Retul and didn't find either of them great as it is down to the fitter to interpret the data to ascertain your position. The best fit I had was a Radlabor one which used an algorithm and gave some very different measurements to either of the others. I was a bit sceptical when they came out but gave it a go and have never been more comfy on the bike. There are only a couple of them in the country but the Portishead bike shop has one and I think it's about £150. They also have demo stems for length etc so that you can try the adjusted position for a period without having to commit to buying anything until you're happy with the fit.
  • fudgey
    Well, getting a bit gross now ha...

last night i noticed that the little lump i had on the right side was quite tender just sat on the sofa, now i have not been on the bike since sunday so a bit odd i thought.

anyway, its in a real awkward place to see so i tried to have a look (sat ont he bog now, not the sofa), it looked a bit inflamed so i gave it a squeeze and a little puss came out, then i somehow pulled a 2" long hair out of it that was coiled up in a circle!

i have had that lump for months! was about the size of half a pea and its noticeably smaller/not hard already!
    been using the witch doctor gel for a while so will continue to do so.

hopefully you would have had your brekkie before reading!
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Well, getting a bit gross now ha...

last night i noticed that the little lump i had on the right side was quite tender just sat on the sofa, now i have not been on the bike since sunday so a bit odd i thought.

anyway, its in a real awkward place to see so i tried to have a look (sat ont he bog now, not the sofa), it looked a bit inflamed so i gave it a squeeze and a little puss came out, then i somehow pulled a 2" long hair out of it that was coiled up in a circle!

i have had that lump for months! was about the size of half a pea and its noticeably smaller/not hard already!
    been using the witch doctor gel for a while so will continue to do so.

hopefully you would have had your brekkie before reading!

In growing hairs can be a real problem down there. However they are a result of things not being quite right. So I'd still recommend a bike fit
  • fudgey
    Yep will do, off to bike shop to get my arris measured on sat, and i have the MRI on my knee on monday, so after i have the results for that ill get booked on, ill wait just in case i need surgery and i dont know what the recovery is etc.

plus theya re booked up until mid October anyway.

oh the guy that does the BG bike fits at total fitness bath has been to San Francisco to specialized for the expert training. or something like that if you read their website.
  • fudgey
    done 12 odd miles on weds on the arione and it ddint feel too bad.
    done 43 miles on it last night and it was uncomfortable from 15 miles, by 30 miles i was hurting!

so that is going back!

i also somehow managed to find a broken spoke nipple upon taking the bike out the garage before the ride last night, i am sure i would have heard it on weds, as the wheel was rubbing the brake block too... so hopefully i can get that fixed on sat while having my sit bones measured...
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    done 12 odd miles on weds on the arione and it ddint feel too bad.
    done 43 miles on it last night and it was uncomfortable from 15 miles, by 30 miles i was hurting!

so that is going back!

i also somehow managed to find a broken spoke nipple upon taking the bike out the garage before the ride last night, i am sure i would have heard it on weds, as the wheel was rubbing the brake block too... so hopefully i can get that fixed on sat while having my sit bones measured...

Try the same saddle after your bike fit. You might be surprised
  • fudgey
    Well it felt the same kind of uncomfortable as the Selle italia SLR flow i had on there.

when i done 26 miles on the wife's mtb saddle which is a bit wider, it felt better.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,662
    Well it felt the same kind of uncomfortable as the Selle italia SLR flow i had on there.

when i done 26 miles on the wife's mtb saddle which is a bit wider, it felt better.
    You have a WOMAN'S bottom...
    hqdefault.jpg
  • fudgey
    yep!
    measured in the shop today at 115mm so I wasn't far off, either way they recommended 143mm wide so I bought a romin evo gel, not fitted it yet but will do tomorrow and also got a nipple so fingers crossed I can sort that too and go for a ride.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Have you seen these saddles:
    http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/
    I have the rlt and it sorted out my issues.... I have narrow sit bones 90mm~ and the saddle works for me...
  • fudgey
    Done a couple of rides on the romin now, yesterday being the longest at 50 miles. I have not been out on the bike much at all lately which doesnt help
    Was very uncomfortable from 30 miles, but my legs were shot shortly after too so i was struggling either way ha.
  • tom84
    tom84 Posts: 79
    sorry to butt in, and also to hear of your difficulties. I had terrible saddle sore until I had a bike fit. I wondered if you could keep me in mind if you sell the romin?
  • fudgey
    Will do mate.
    touch wood, so far for a while now i have not had any sores, just discomfort.
    shop around for a Romin, my local - hargroves cycles had an offer on them last month when i bought one, £59.50 i think it was. was price-matched by total fitness in bath.

i think a lack of seat time may be contributing do the discomfort, so trying to get out a bit more at the mo and see if that helps.

time - as ever, is not on my side...