Yellow Jersey Club

2»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Quicker recovery innit.

Can ride faster for longer without getting as tired.

Training with EPO is like being on a sh!t hot day every day without getting anywhere near as tired as you otherwise would. Less tired - less stress on body.

Apparently.

At least, that's my understanding.

I think you need a bit of growth hormone for the recovery after your hard EPO session, but your point stands.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Soz - off topic a little.

There was a French journalist who previously had written about the penal colonies in the very early 1900's and then went on to be a TdF reporter/writer. Anyone know what the book which assembled all of his stories is called? I believe it is available in English.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Soz - off topic a little.

There was a French journalist who previously had written about the penal colonies in the very early 1900's and then went on to be a TdF reporter/writer. Anyone know what the book which assembled all of his stories is called? I believe it is available in English.
    This guy?
    He became interested in the Tour de France, which he saw as pitiless and intolerable physical exertion in this "Tour of Suffering", and criticised the rules. (Les Forçats de la route (The convicts of the road) and Tour de France, tour de souffrance (Tour de France, Tour of Suffering))
  • pinno
    Cheers for that adr82. I will look into it.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Just finished reading the book, I thought it was pretty good for the most part! I liked this story from Andy Schleck about the 2008 Tour:
    We dropped Valverde, but at the bottom of Hautacam I was feeling dizzy and hungry. It was too late. Three kilometres from the finish, Valverde came back past me, tapped me on the shoulder and gave me an energy gel. He’d lost time because of our plan, but he’s a gentleman and said to sit in his wheel.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    No, wait, I thought Valverde was a super villain. it can't have been him being nice!
  • pinno
    Just finished reading the book, I thought it was pretty good for the most part! I liked this story from Andy Schleck about the 2008 Tour:
    We dropped Valverde, but at the bottom of Hautacam I was feeling dizzy and hungry. It was too late. Three kilometres from the finish, Valverde came back past me, tapped me on the shoulder and gave me an energy gel. He’d lost time because of our plan, but he’s a gentleman and said to sit in his wheel.

A quote like that makes you realise that all the Pro's are sort of 'in it together' being such a tough sport. It's the media who rank things up. I didn't like the ITV ad for the tour making it about the British vs the rest or words to that extent.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I take it that it's just about living yellow jerseys. Is Ferdi Kubler in it? He's still going, aged 96.
    I met my man Ferdi at the Tour de Suisse where the stage points sprint took place and he was signing books.
    He got curious about me just watching and came over and all I could say was English, so he spoke to me and I told him I read about him when I was a child.
    Then when I mentioned him and Geminiani he was off with a multitude of stories and one was the Africa trip with their mate Fausto Coppi who caught and died of malaria.
    He got called back to the table but wouldn't sit down until he signed his photograph from his case to give to me.
    A real nice fella and those three had been my Hero's who all had Panache.
    I watched Coppi riding an omnium at Herne Hill in the mid fifties.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • pinno
    I take it that it's just about living yellow jerseys. Is Ferdi Kubler in it? He's still going, aged 96.
    I met my man Ferdi at the Tour de Suisse where the stage points sprint took place and he was signing books.
    He got curious about me just watching and came over and all I could say was English, so he spoke to me and I told him I read about him when I was a child.
    Then when I mentioned him and Geminiani he was off with a multitude of stories and one was the Africa trip with their mate Fausto Coppi who caught and died of malaria.
    He got called back to the table but wouldn't sit down until he signed his photograph from his case to give to me.
    A real nice fella and those three had been my Hero's who all had Panache.
    I watched Coppi riding an omnium at Herne Hill in the mid fifties.

You are a privileged man.

I got to speak to Stephen Roche at the Wincanton classic in Brighton the year Eric Van Lancker won (1991), very briefly. I got Gilbert Duclos Lassalle's water bottle and was taking Claudio Chiapucci's picture as he posed for me exiting the hotel, he ended up propping me up (he found it funny) when a hoard of Italian females mobbed him, knocking me off balance in the process but nothing like the above.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

Nice story. Valverde seems like a friendly guy. He's often voted the most approachable rider by the journalists at the Tour (they have a funny little award for that).

When he emerged in 02/03 I thought he was going to dominate. Never quite happened.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Quicker recovery innit.

Can ride faster for longer without getting as tired.

Training with EPO is like being on a sh!t hot day every day without getting anywhere near as tired as you otherwise would. Less tired - less stress on body.

Apparently.

At least, that's my understanding.

Sounds like I need to get me some EPO!