Cycling kit that looks...rubbish

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Cycling kit that looks rubbish - Foska, whoever thinks they look good with Wallace and F+*ckin Gromit on their jersey is a c+ck, or Baked Beans, I mean WTF, they probably think 'aren't I wacky in my 'different jersey' um no you're not, you look like a dick and there's probably another dick looking just the same in the same sh+t jersey taking part in the same smiley smiley charity ride.
    Maybe you can find each other and go over the 'finish line' together holding your arms in the air in triumph for the full fat tw+t in a crap jersey effect.
    Then there's the fat boys with London Pride Jerseys ' Look at me I drink beer!' , you might drink beer but to look good in any jersey let a lone a crap one you need to loose 15kg and tuck your gut into your bib shorts.
    I'll wait for the fat boy replys 'I love my Foska jersey'. Well good for you, I'm sure your Mum loves you too, but I certainly fu*+ing don't.

That's top notch ranting, right there. Although I do need to lose 15kg and have considered a Foska jersey in the past, but figured it was too much like one of those comedy ties people used to wear. Which were about as funny as an aneurysm.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    What I can't stand about the Foska concept, it's this constant need by a certain sort of Brit to be always 'havin' a lAUGH', 'you gotta LAUGH avent ya!?' 'It's just a bit of fun' etc etc.
    Well why? why do you constantly have to be 'havin' a laugh', eh? Like those two fat tw*ts who used to do the Tetley ads in the 80s/90s? At desperately unfunny things?
    Can you not just do something properly and try and look the part?
    Why do you always have to 'take the mickey'? Perhaps it's because you are afraid of taking something seriously?
    Of trying to look stylish and failing?
    And therefore being exposed as less cool than the continental counterparts that you habitually stereotype as arrogant poseurs who take themselves too seriously?

You mean like people who buy car stickers that says things like 'my other car's a batmobile' those kinds of people? Yeah I fucking hate them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As I am not a 'Roadie' but ride MTB's (apart from the commuting Hybrid) I can avoid most these kit downsides, Baggy shorts are mostly pretty similar and drab colours and almost anything goes for tops, my preference for all but the hottest days is a Thor Motocross top which is very hardy, mostly plain black and can be worn over as many layers as the weather dictates!

I do like the Foska Marmite though.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What I can't stand about the Foska concept, it's this constant need by a certain sort of Brit to be always 'havin' a lAUGH', 'you gotta LAUGH avent ya!?' 'It's just a bit of fun' etc etc.
    Well why? why do you constantly have to be 'havin' a laugh', eh? Like those two fat tw*ts who used to do the Tetley ads in the 80s/90s? At desperately unfunny things?
    Why do you always have to 'take the mickey'? Perhaps it's because you are afraid of taking something seriously?
    And therefore being exposed as less cool than the continental counterparts that you habitually stereotype as arrogant poseurs who take themselves too seriously?
    I don't get this at all. If people want to "have a laugh" by wearing a specific type of jersey, is that really doing you any harm? No-one's forcing you to wear one.

Foska jerseys aren't my cup of tea, but if people like them, go for it. So long as they're not indecent or offensive, does it really matter what other people wear?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Cycling kit that looks rubbish - Foska, whoever thinks they look good with Wallace and F+*ckin Gromit on their jersey is a c+ck, or Baked Beans, I mean WTF, they probably think 'aren't I wacky in my 'different jersey' um no you're not, you look like a dick and there's probably another dick looking just the same in the same sh+t jersey taking part in the same smiley smiley charity ride.
    Maybe you can find each other and go over the 'finish line' together holding your arms in the air in triumph for the full fat tw+t in a crap jersey effect.
    Then there's the fat boys with London Pride Jerseys ' Look at me I drink beer!' , you might drink beer but to look good in any jersey let a lone a crap one you need to loose 15kg and tuck your gut into your bib shorts.
    I'll wait for the fat boy replys 'I love my Foska jersey'. Well good for you, I'm sure your Mum loves you too, but I certainly fu*+ing don't.

Top notch ranting - and I agree. Also, those skeleton / rib cage ones.

+1. Excellent rant.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Yeah blo*dy Foska kit wearing clowns....!
    *casually eyeballs favourite jersey which is currently drying out over air vent by desk (Harlequins - Foska)*

TBF I am a Quins fan, but I do know what you mean about the London Pride/Dennis the Menace/Wallace & Gromit jerseys - not my cup of tea, but each to their own.
    There's a bloke I keep seeing who insists on wearing full Festina kit....... Either he's a massive fan of their watches or just a muppet.
    Then again maybe he's a mobile purveyor of pharmaceutical aids - would explain some of the Strava performances on some CS7 segments
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • secretsam
    I don't get this at all. If people want to "have a laugh" by wearing a specific type of jersey, is that really doing you any harm? No-one's forcing you to wear one.

Foska jerseys aren't my cup of tea, but if people like them, go for it. So long as they're not indecent or offensive, does it really matter what other people wear?

...and actually, the Pukka Pies orange one is rather nice, reminiscent of the classic Merckx "Molteni" jersey (and IIRC, Molteni made sausages or something?)

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Is there any kit, no matter how extreme, that within a few days of being posted as an example of truly execrable kit and a design nightmare will not get a response saying "actually I quite like that". About the only kit that I really don't like is camouflage a/o stealth as I think it is taking the piss to expect other road users to look out for you when you are actively wearing a kit that hides you (that said I love my black gabba)
  • The Rookie
    rasputina.jpg Great top (Half).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    Jerseys that are just plastered with the manufacturer's name/logo and nothing else. They should be paying people to wear it as advertising.

and

Red lycra shorts.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    All MTB kit.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Jerseys that are just plastered with the manufacturer's name/logo and nothing else. They should be paying people to wear it as advertising.

and

Red lycra shorts.
    White lycra shorts are the worst to follow.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Life is too short to ride sh1t bikes. Similarly, it is too short to wear sh1t kit.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • imatfaal
    Life is too short to ride sh1t bikes. Similarly, it is too short to wear sh1t kit.

This +1

Although I have yet to get the perfect combo - favourite looking top isn't my most comfortable. I love my gran fondo tops from Strava - they are super comfy but they are a bit OTT to actually wear on a social ride
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    One of my favourite but not worn often jerseys is a yellow and black version of this Assos Carolina Jersey:

e6041bb497558e5a03f7f6511511.jpg
    775095020_tp.jpg

My missus has a matching female cut one.

When we enter sportives, on occasion enter our team name as London Dynamoo.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • imatfaal
    Is Assos kit that nice? It is sooo expensive that I have never bought any - but lots of people swear by it. Is it worth the extra?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited July 2015
    Is Assos kit that nice? It is sooo expensive that I have never bought any - but lots of people swear by it. Is it worth the extra?

It's certainly very nice quality - these were both bargains versus the item fit and quality imho, were bought around 5 years ago, IIRC Parkers were selling them off on their ebay outlet store, and I landed them for around £35/£40 each so pretty chuffed with that.

Personally I would not pay full price for their kit, but then I 'm not sure I have ever payed full price for any piece of kit thinking about it, always onthe lookout for bargains me :-)
    I bought some of their S5 and S7 shorts to try, but didn't get on with the nappy like pad in one, or the cut on the other (Forget which way round it was) - I've since found a perfect fit with La Passione bibshorts, and I also am a huge fan of Etxeondo gear (Both Orhi bibs and associated jerseys and I think their jackets come highly recommended too), which is REALLY good quality, and can be found for silly (comparitively) reduced prices in a few locations.

Rapha kit is also hugely expensive, but some bargains can be picked up in the classifieds here on occasion, and also on their outlet store - LS jersey for £40/45 etc
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    It's as good as kit gets (if not definitively better than everything else).
    Whether that's worth the extra is your call :D

I would have pulled the trigger on some Assos bibs a fortnight ago but LBS couldn't get stock in the right size. So I ummed and ahh'd and eventually went for current dhb 'pro' range (ASV) which have enough reviews that think they're oh so close to being the same class for 1/3 the price that I went for them.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • imatfaal
    I think I will have to buy some bibs sooner or later just to satisfy my curiosity - my worry is that I will suddenly not want to wear anything else
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I think I will have to buy some bibs sooner or later just to satisfy my curiosity - my worry is that I will suddenly not want to wear anything else

I would recommend wearing a jersey with them - your tan would be ridiculous otherwise :shock: :wink:
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • imatfaal

I would recommend wearing a jersey with them - your tan would be ridiculous otherwise :shock: :wink:

:oops: :lol:
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903

I did that about a month ago. Just ordered my third pair (so I have one ready to wear, one being worn and one in the wash)...
  • The Rookie
    All MTB kit.
    Seeing as how many XC riders wear kit that is all but indistinguishable from road kit, that is rather a blinkered statement isn't it!
    grant-ferguson.jpg
    Oh look, identical to the team GB road kit!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    All MTB kit.
    Seeing as how many XC riders wear kit that is all but indistinguishable from road kit, that is rather a blinkered statement isn't it!
    grant-ferguson.jpg

Alpinestars-Bright-Green-Steel-Gray-2015-Sight-Long-Sleeve-MTB-Jersey-0-a7f25-M.jpg

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaltO-1_END00cBYGjvIZFBzXS3BT4_0Mh5_kvEIeuVGKAjmF-eRGaw_G6zNwn7-TlxTo7hvA&usqp=CAE
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    All MTB kit.
    grant-ferguson.jpg

He's on a stupid bike, therefore the kit looks rubbish.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    When I see grown men in baggy mountain bike gear it reminds me of Harry Enfields kevin and Perry sketches.

Also never really been tempted to wear any pro team kit. I may be way off with this, so sorry if it causes offence, but I can't help thinking the people who wear it have delusions about being part of the team.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • The Rookie
    When I see grown men in baggy mountain bike gear it reminds me of Harry Enfields kevin and Perry sketches.
    I see very few that wear anything that looks like that, or the above, that said my comment was about the 'ALL' part which your argument doesn't counter as the photo clearly shows.

I think most people would prefer to see me in Baggies than Lycra (if they have to see me at all).
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Is Assos kit that nice?

It is nice until it gets too worn and becomes see-through. There was one fat old chopper on my old route along the Embankment who used to wear royal blue Assos bibs that were obscene.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • secretsam
    Is Assos kit that nice?

It is nice until it gets too worn and becomes see-through. There was one fat old chopper on my old route along the Embankment who used to wear royal blue Assos bibs that were obscene.

I've had a similar experience, was riding behind a tandem on a local sportive one year; on the front was Dad (I assume) and on the back his daughter, aged 14 or so. Wearing red shorts that were virtually see through. I mean, what do you DO???? :shock: I just rode past, said "Hi" and made a mental note to bear this in mind if my daughter ever gets serious about cycling...

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684

Also never really been tempted to wear any pro team kit. I may be way off with this, so sorry if it causes offence, but I can't help thinking the people who wear it have delusions about being part of the team.

I've had quite a lot of it. I had an Orica jersey because I thought it was a nice colour. It was £20.

I have only one at the moment. Wiggle Honda. It was £40. There are some fairly important reasons why my delusion wouldn't stretch to being a member of that team. I quite like supporting them mind.

The only reason I've ever bought team kit is because it was cheap.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.