Optimum CTL number

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
Using the PMC as a measure of actual 'performance' (race) am I allowed to infer from that PMC that I have an
optimum CTL figure or small range where I am likely to be able to deliver a good race ?
Knowing this I can then tailor my training to suit.
For arguments sake, my early season CTL was hovering into the 90s and I raced competently but not spectacularly.
Perhaps looking back, slightly overreached.
Last week saw me with a slightly lower CTL in the mid 80s and maybe combined with a + TSB of 11, I finished in a nice select group with a good finish. If I didnt race again this season, I'd be happy to have finsihed on that note basically.

Comments

• Using the PMC as a measure of actual 'performance' (race) am I allowed to infer from that PMC that I have an
    optimum CTL figure or small range where I am likely to be able to deliver a good race ?
    I'd say most people have a minimum CTL range they'll need to perform well relative to their experience, but what's optimal is a question with more factors to consider, e.g. not everyone can absorb the same training loads, and TL isn't, for instance, going to tell you about the composition of your training.
  • ric/rstsport
    ric/rstsport Posts: 681
    Using the PMC as a measure of actual 'performance' (race) am I allowed to infer from that PMC that I have an
    Knowing this I can then tailor my training to suit.
    For arguments sake, my early season CTL was hovering into the 90s and I raced competently but not spectacularly.
    Perhaps looking back, slightly overreached.
    Last week saw me with a slightly lower CTL in the mid 80s and maybe combined with a + TSB of 11, I finished in a nice select group with a good finish. If I didnt race again this season, I'd be happy to have finsihed on that note basically.

Also, where your TSB is (along with other factors) will have a bearing on how well you perform and is very individual. So, for e.g., if i raced with my CTL at an optimum number but with a TSB of +11 i'd be off the back on the first lap. For me to race well i need a vaguely negative TSB
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com