What next for Geraint Thomas

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Is it about money with Froome? Surely a well paid Froome at Sky would stay because they are cutting edge, moving to another team in that respect would be a backwards move Shirley?

I would tend to agree however, history is littered with examples of sportsmen who have moved on from the team/setup which brought them success, fame and fortune for one reason or another. Cycling seems to be a very fluid sport and teams are coming and going all the time at the whim of the sponsors.

Froome has a very good relationship with Brailsford and I couldn't see him leaving any time soon but maybe G could be tempted away by an offer of an outright lead in a team if he harbours that ambition. The setup and support would need to be at the level of Sky for him to stand any chance in a grand tour I think unless maybe the competition was sparse.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Has any rider left Sky and their training/sport science methods and actually done better at another team?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Has any rider left Sky and their training/sport science methods and actually done better at another team?

Gerrans perhaps, but it isn't a long list.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

Steve Cummings! 8)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Voigt never harboured ambitions for GT leader, content to be super domestique and occasional leader in 1 week races. The idea of a GT leader doesn't suit everyone - Wiggins hated the attention and Evans wasn't comfortable. Contador seems more able to accept the leadership and Armstrong relished it as it appealed to his nature. Ullrich was another who just seemed to want to ride his bike. Thomas may be content to have occasional stabs eg Tour de Suisse but remain a high level rider in a good set-up. I don't think Tinkoff or Astana are really great environments altho' Sky want their pound of flesh too if you ever read an interview with Rod Ellingworth.
    M.Rushton
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Did Jens ever really show that level of potential though ? Maybe I'm doing him a disservice but I don't remember ever thinking that guy should be up there with the likes of Armstrong and Ulrich battling for the win.

I agree not everyone is a natural team leader - you mention Ulrich, Wiggins and Evans but notably they are all Tour winners so it's certainly possible to lead a team without being a natural team leader. I doubt many cyclists with even a hint of the ability to do it would turn down a leadership role it's just that some may not pursue it actively either through lack of confidence, self belief or lack of that kind of burning ambition.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204

Could argue Dowsett has improved since leaving Sky - GT stage win, hour record, TT titles, etc
  • hypster
    What's next for Geraint Thomas?

A neck brace and new sunglasses I reckon after today. What a tw4t that Barguil was, coming in miles too hot, cannoned off TVG (and tried to blame it on him) and then took out Super G.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yep, Geraint was lucky he didn't break something in that crash.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104

A neck brace and new sunglasses I reckon after today. What a tw4t that Barguil was, coming in miles too hot, cannoned off TVG (and tried to blame it on him) and then took out Super G.

Have you actually seen the footage? Because your comment suggests strongly that you haven't.
  • hypster

Have you actually seen the footage? Because your comment suggests strongly that you haven't.

I've watched it several times from several sources and different angles and it always looks like to me that Barguil instead of following in the wheels like all the other (responsible) riders actually was going miles too fast and recklessly trying to get up the inside of TVG. If you have a different viewpoint then that's up to you.

Others riders also said he nearly took them out on the descent later on as well I understand so it wasn't just a one-off. Lucky for him this wasn't F1, he would have got a penalty for causing an accident.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Some strange reasons here why he is not a GC contender. Did Wiggo not win TDF? Everyone said he would not but over three years he progressed and did well in Vuelta and one tour and then won. G is a very similar rider. He will never be explosive on a climb and would not try to be. But if you look at his improvement since jacking in the track then I see no reason why he cannot gain the extra 2 or 3% needed. He has improved immensely in TT so if we had a similar route to when Wiggo won I could see him doing well. Maybe he should not have done the London Olympics.
    By the way, Barguil should be banned from going downhill in a group. Ok maybe he hit a whole and jumped his hand of brake but what on earth was he riding 3 abreast going into a corner, shit line then broke too late, he unclipped before his hand cam off. he has trouble every descent. Yes can be classed as accident as he did not intend it but he is crap down hill.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Yep, Geraint was lucky he didn't break something in that crash.
    He was reported to have said that he lost his glasses in the fall and they are a model that are no longer available.
    Perhaps if they were worn on this inside of the helmet straps they wouldn't have detached from his face so easily?
    It appears to me (from watching cycling on tv) that the overwhelming majority of riders wear their glasses
    on the outside of the helmet straps.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    He said it on the ITV4 highlights prog.

I thought the glasses thing was part of "the rules" with the only logical reason being that having well fitted helmet straps that keep the lid on in 50mph downhill blasts would make glasses arms uncomfortable if pressed into the side of your head all day by the straps.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • de_sisti
    What brand and model was he wearing?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

They are Oakley Racing Jackets. You still can get them in white with a blue lens from the Oakley website as a custom model. Maybe he means he can't get them from Oakley as they are pushing the Radar EV and the Jawbreaker at the moment.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    "Perhaps if they were worn on this inside of the helmet straps they wouldn't have detached from his face so easily?
    It appears to me (from watching cycling on tv) that the overwhelming majority of riders wear their glasses
    on the outside of the helmet straps.[/quote]"

I know why they do this from personal experience.

If you face plant with your glasses under the helmet straps you don't lose the glasses, but run the risk of them digging into your face. I have a lovely scar above my right eye to prove it!!
  • de_sisti
    They are Oakley Racing Jackets.
    I like them.
  • "Perhaps if they were worn on this inside of the helmet straps they wouldn't have detached from his face so easily?
    on the outside of the helmet straps.
    "

I know why they do this from personal experience.

If you face plant with your glasses under the helmet straps you don't lose the glasses, but run the risk of them digging into your face. I have a lovely scar above my right eye to prove it!![/quote]

I recently found another reason for glasses over the straps, although less extreme than above.

Glasses underneath straps causes extra wind noise compared to glasses helping keep straps to the face. I was surprised at the difference when I changed glasses from inside to outside of the straps.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    i thought it was so that the helmet strap doesn't obscure the sponsor logo on the arms. i'll check the rules later
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Grantmk
    Grantmk Posts: 39
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#37
    The arms of the eyewear shall always be placed over the helmet straps.

No exceptions. This is for various reasons that may or may not matter; it’s just the way it is.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,481
    Some strange reasons here why he is not a GC contender. Did Wiggo not win TDF? Everyone said he would not but over three years he progressed and did well in Vuelta and one tour and then won. G is a very similar rider. He will never be explosive on a climb and would not try to be. But if you look at his improvement since jacking in the track then I see no reason why he cannot gain the extra 2 or 3% needed. He has improved immensely in TT so if we had a similar route to when Wiggo won I could see him doing well. Maybe he should not have done the London Olympics.
    By the way, Barguil should be banned from going downhill in a group. Ok maybe he hit a whole and jumped his hand of brake but what on earth was he riding 3 abreast going into a corner, shoot line then broke too late, he unclipped before his hand cam off. he has trouble every descent. Yes can be classed as accident as he did not intend it but he is crap down hill.

I'm a big fan of G but as I've said up thread, he isn't as good a time triallist as Wiggins so I don't see where he an gain time over his rivals. He can potentially hold them on the climbs but his time trialling doesn't guarantee him gaining time like Wiggins could.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#37
    The arms of the eyewear shall always be placed over the helmet straps.

No exceptions. This is for various reasons that may or may not matter; it’s just the way it is.
    Yeah, it looks so cool when you take your helmet off and pull your specs off and they fall to the ground.

If you have optical specs to see with rather than just as sunglasses, you might well wear them inside the straps, as you want to take your helmet off but keep your specs on to be able to see
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I don't know why, but after hanging up his jawbones I can picture G becoming a publican, with a proper old fashioned boozer somewhere in the Welsh countryside
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I just don't think he's that similar a rider to Wiggins. He's not nearly the TTer, but he's far more explosive uphill. I can't imagine Wiggo putting in some of the digs G has done on climbs (admittedly in non grand tours).

He really needs to race a number of times as leader over the high mountains before we know what he can and can't do. My main concern is his ability to do it over 3 weeks. So far so good this year though.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    By the way, Barguil should be banned from going downhill in a group. Ok maybe he hit a whole and jumped his hand of brake but what on earth was he riding 3 abreast going into a corner, shoot line then broke too late, he unclipped before his hand cam off. he has trouble every descent. Yes can be classed as accident as he did not intend it but he is crap down hill.
    I think he has still more improvement to make on TT. He has vastly improved his TT since Olympics and is not far off the best already. If you look at the improvement Nibali apparently made as he has actually now gone from loosing 4 mins in a TT to beating sparticus and also Quintana who only lost small amount this year the G can definitely make it.
    I'm a big fan of G but as I've said up thread, he isn't as good a time triallist as Wiggins so I don't see where he an gain time over his rivals. He can potentially hold them on the climbs but his time trialling doesn't guarantee him gaining time like Wiggins could.
  • de_sisti
    Looks like he had a different set of glasses on today.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

I'm not surprised his fiancee was crying on tv.
    They are getting spliced in October and the invites have already gone out. :P (true that last bit)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.