The Mondraker Dune XR Build.

13»

Comments

• Stuffed that shock in and ridden it yet? Sorting it out boyo!

Yes I went for a ride around degler on it the other day. I'd forgotten just how boring that place was, far too much bike as well!

Out on it again tomorrow to try and start getting a proper feel for it on local trails. I've already swapped a few parts on it after the first ride, grips been one.

Got my rubber through for my Finale Ligure trip in October, 2.5" Maxxis Minion DHF 3C Downhill casing up front and a Maxxis 2.3" Tomahawk 3C Double Down rear tyre. Looking forward to trying out the rear tyre, looks like it should roll well.
  • Got another ride on it tonight. Feels good but it is definitely different.

Still trying to find the illusive sweet spot on my 36's, every so often I feel like I have found it but after a few rides I decide I have not. Think I am going to go back to basics on it tomorrow. One spacer and 22% sag as a initial starting point.
  • You know the rules....

POIDH! I expect better from you hehe
  • Are you running 160 or 170mm? I'd go with two of the smaller 7.5cc spacers at 170mm, run the Fox base settings but with sag around 20% - 25% and slightly slower rebound.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • I honestly think you want to run closer to 30% with more compression or an extra token.. Dune works all round better sat in its travel when you take into account the rear sus is meant to be set sitting 30-35%into its travel.

Everyone's different I know but that's been my findings which match mondraker recommendations.
  • Smashed into a tree the other day and cracked a few ribs, lucky not to have broken my collarbone as its all very very bruised. Lack of commitment on picking a line while looking at the tree took me straight at the tree! Smarting like mad. Had to open aircraft doors today on my training with various failures and let's just say it look a fair bit of teeth grinding to get through it! Lucky he bike is unmarked!
  • Ouch! least you are still moving eh?

Least with time off the bike you can take a full suite of pictures for us!!!
  • Ouch! least you are still moving eh?

Least with time off the bike you can take a full suite of pictures for us!!!

Just had to do my annual checks at work which has been bloody agony!

I'm home tomorrow so I'll try to get some photos.
  • Here are a few snaps of it:
    34D5FA34-BD47-4C61-9CB7-1E6C783583D2.jpg
    23E07A44-391D-4A46-B101-142D776E6908.jpg
    C1DCCF2F-1310-431B-8A00-CD9A2A622202.jpg
  • Oooo oooo is that a race face sixc bar on an onoff stem? Been looking a set of those bars..
  • Oooo oooo is that a race face sixc bar on an onoff stem? Been looking a set of those bars..

It's a SIXC 35mm bar and a Haven 32mm 35mm clamp stem and RaceFace love handle grips. Mondraker chose to sell the frame only's with a 31.8mm clamp stem :roll:

Bar is a very nice shape and feels great.
  • They do a normal version as well as the 35mm so was thinking about it..
  • They do a normal version as well as the 35mm so was thinking about it..

I have been thinking about it - found I like the feel of the Next carbon a little more, maybe just the narrower width but feels better on my hands - winter shopping list.

Bike looks really good - how are you finding the ride vs the Nomad? How are you adapting to the geometry? The changes to the Bronson and 5010 for the new year seems to move them toward that model.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Have to admit 725 on a bar is just to narrow for my taste now, dune runs with 760 and my DH bike 785.. anything else just feels narrow and out of sorts.. Guess that's why the sixc appeals so much.

Bike is looking awesome by the way! Still not sure I'd take carbon over the alu model price hump to performance i'm just not convinced.. Yet when the gap between the two gets closer then maybe. but if there is no budget why the hell not hehe.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    What happened to the Enves? What's on there now? Looks awesome by the way!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • What happened to the Enves? What's on there now? Looks awesome by the way!

I have a few sets of wheels, a set of M70 Thirtys on CK hubs, a set of Lightbicycle carbon 35mm hookless with Hope hubs, a set of Derby 34mm hookless on CK hubs and a soon to be built pair of Dt Swiss EX471's on CK hubs. I just chop and change depending on what the weather is doing. If it pissing it down I use the LB's as they have Shortys on, the derbys have a 2.5 minion DHF DH casing and a Tomahawk 2.3 Double Down, enves have Minion DHF/DHR's on and the DT's will have Hight Roller II's on. I might see about getting some of the M70 HV's as well when they become available.

Had a big off on it the other day into a tree and cracked a rib or two, just waiting for them to be 90% and then I will be back out on it.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I had a sit on one of these the other day, it felt really weird and the reach reminded me of bikes from the 90's with 100mm stems!

Turns out on the Rockshox equipped ones the seatstay brace hits the seattube on full compression which is worrying, I assume the shock is too short or has too long of a stroke.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    What happened to the Enves? What's on there now? Looks awesome by the way!

I have a few sets of wheels, a set of M70 Thirtys on CK hubs, a set of Lightbicycle carbon 35mm hookless with Hope hubs, a set of Derby 34mm hookless on CK hubs and a soon to be built pair of Dt Swiss EX471's on CK hubs. I just chop and change depending on what the weather is doing. If it pissing it down I use the LB's as they have Shortys on, the derbys have a 2.5 minion DHF DH casing and a Tomahawk 2.3 Double Down, enves have Minion DHF/DHR's on and the DT's will have Hight Roller II's on. I might see about getting some of the M70 HV's as well when they become available.

Had a big off on it the other day into a tree and cracked a rib or two, just waiting for them to be 90% and then I will be back out on it.

WOW... I thought about Derbys but in the end I just went for Spank Oozys on 240s to save some (a lot of) money!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I had a sit on one of these the other day, it felt really weird and the reach reminded me of bikes from the 90's with 100mm stems!

Turns out on the Rockshox equipped ones the seatstay brace hits the seattube on full compression which is worrying, I assume the shock is too short or has too long of a stroke.

I will be checking that tomorrow then :shock:
  • Turns out on the Rockshox equipped ones the seatstay brace hits the seattube on full compression which is worrying, I assume the shock is too short or has too long of a stroke.

Loads of space on mine:
    F940EC0C-1C85-46E6-A784-0C6E828EF0A3.jpg
  • Was going to say never heard that issue from anywhere, only issues I know on Mondrakers is on the top bearings for some reason working lose. pay attention to your bike and little locktite and fine.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Does seem strange they would have such a different gap, it was an XL frame, don't know if that would make a difference??
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Given up on the 36 and I have just got these:
    0B8689D3-F76A-42FC-BCCA-A71EFE58AE3E.jpg
    3F4EFD0C-C507-4162-BC40-C175D00CE98B.jpg
    E907B37A-FCF8-4F62-B025-C898CE5937BC.jpg
    Initial feeling is they are very very nice, no stiction at all which is a vast improvement on the 36 which always took a bit of a pop to get them moving after they had been sat. Looking forward to getting out on the trail with them after getting my hands smashed to pieces in Finale last month.
  • OOO nice lyrics.. would love to swap my pikes to lyrics but I cant justify it haha

were they the latest 36? as they are meant to be buttery smooth?

and stick it in my new mondy thread.. as I dislike the Canyon thread hehe
  • Yes it was a new 36. I have had a few of them and have tried everything but I just cannot get the feel I want. They just feel harsh and they kill my hands! Will be out on this on Tuesday to get a feel for it!
  • I am looking at a Dune build in the next few months. I am looking at that Dune RR ally frame. Only issue it looks like some one has thrown up over the thing after eating a rainbow. That version of the frame comes with the Fox X evol shock and apart from the colour scheme I can imagin it looking amazing. I was wondering what your thoughts on the ride were like? I will be coming from a Scott Genuis 720 and it will be that bike i pilage for parts to get the Dune rolling. With the slacker head angle and longer top tube does it make much difference from the pervious rig?

Spec of mine would be:
    Fox 36 Fit4 2016 160mm Fork
    Hope wheel set.
    XT M8000 1x11 groupset with XT brakes and rotors
    Renthal Carbon fatbar
    Stealth reverb post and Syncros seat.

The Scott is a dam good bike but i am looking for something with a bit more of a slack head and long top tube. I have built a Nukeproof mega AM for a mate and i like the head angle on that but with it being an extra large frame its not the right size for me. I fit a Medium on the Scott being 5ft 9. How tall are you and what frame size did you go for?

Thanks
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Ride ally dune xr here.. It's a very different ride! You site far more central on the bike and its very stable with fast stearing. Takes getting used too but when you do the speed and stability is awesome!