My First New Tyres - What to Get?

2»

Comments

• Biomech
    Biomech Posts: 158
    First time out on Pro4 Endurance 25's yesterday, slipped on the tarmac as I broke on a corner in the damp ... I know I know, but that never happened with the stock tyres. :P
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Looking a a set of Pro 4 Endurance - anyone know of any deals?

£60 on PBK for a pair and innertubes - is that as good as I'll find?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Looking a a set of Pro 4 Endurance - anyone know of any deals?

£60 on PBK for a pair and innertubes - is that as good as I'll find?

Decathlon still have the Pro4 SC deal at £33 a pair

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/pro-4-service-course-road-bike-tyre-set-700x25-id_8328783.html

The Pro4 Endurance were £23 each but showing out of stock; you may find them in store somewhere
  • mawashi
    mawashi Posts: 48
    Hi Biomech,

I chose to do things a bit differently as I don't know of any tire that would prevent punctures completely, glass shards, medal splinters etc.

I'll rather get 2-3 cheaper tires around £10-£15 and light inner tubes instead of a £60 tire.

Planetx has some decent deals.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    ^^^ So, so wrong. A decent tyre will prevent flats/cuts much, much better than an entry level tyre.

I've seen the Pro 4 Endurance for £22 each on Decathlon and similar at Merlin.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    I went back to my trusty old training tyres,schwalbe Durano s. £40 a pair from ribble. Tough as old boots and not that slow.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ^^^ So, so wrong. A decent tyre will prevent flats/cuts much, much better than an entry level tyre.

I've seen the Pro 4 Endurance for £22 each on Decathlon and similar at Merlin.

That^

I'd ridden thousands of miles on a pair of GP4 Seasons and only had a couple of pinch flats when I couldn't be @rsed to pump them up before an evening ride, and one proper puncture when a thorn like a javelin went through the sidewall. Still holding up when the last remaining tread started to come away revealing the carcass.

As a stopgap I fitted a pair of wire bead Rubinos. Not only did they deaden the ride, but on the second damp outing a flint shard made it straight through the centre of the tread and shredded the tube beyond repair.

I don't think it was a coincidence.