Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    And another . . . 383-3.

Keep 'em coming!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    You guys are pathetic! Just don't watch as soon as things go bad. What happened to the stiff upper lip?

Not guilty. I've been away this weekend on a boozy lads get together and have had to make do with checking the score ocassionally on my phone. Not seen any pictures or even had the chance to listen to any radio comms until I drove home this afternoon. After todays result it's clear there needs to be a re-think about how we approach the rest of the matches. Disappointing all the confidence that the first result would have produced has been destroyed so quickly and probably sunk beyond what it was before the series started. Credit to Aus though, they played well.
  • verylonglegs
    I nearly wrote about getting the next one a green top but we'll have to wait and see how reactive the new England set-up is. They have always been slow to accept something isn't working, we kept our one day side the same despite it being apparent the way the game was played changed at least five years ago but maybe Strauss will be less conservative. Anderson and Broad should get more swing on a greentop.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Having spent a day at Lord's last Friday I fear the worst for the rest of the summer.

Johnson and Starc look a real hand full and Hazlewood seams to complement them well.

Think England need to have a re-think as far as the top order is concerned, as the skipper aside the others look either hopelessly out of touch, or have flaws in their technique that Australia seem able to exploit (full, straight and quick seems to sort out Ballance and Bell).

Think Lyth deserves another game, but would consider Bairstow and Taylor for Ballance and Bell. England can't win the series if they are 30 / 40 - 3 in every innings.
  • laurentian
    I hesitate to say it . . . but what a start! 18 for 2 and Finn taking the marquee wicket in his first international over for two years . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    86-6!!!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    As Glenn McGrath described it '..an English pitch for English conditions'. Who'd have thunk it eh, providing the most suitable wicket for our type of bowlers..genius.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Hmmmm..........have tickets for Saturday. Not looking good for seeing much play!

Great bounce back by England today though.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    You guys haven't got the hang of this gloating thing have you? You should be mercilessly tearing into us, not politely saying "well done boys". I'll get you started. "Typical convict attitude. First sign of movement through the air and they all try to be heroes." Now carry on from there.

We have had experience of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory so we have learnt not to gloat too soon.
  • verylonglegs
    You guys haven't got the hang of this gloating thing have you? You should be mercilessly tearing into us, not politely saying "well done boys". I'll get you started. "Typical convict attitude. First sign of movement through the air and they all try to be heroes." Now carry on from there.

Your lot have been so bad I actually feel sorry for you, I really can't be bothered to mock.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I was actually hoping the Aussies would make us bat again, just to give Adam Lyth the chance to make some runs under hopefully little pressure. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    It appears we will be without Jimmy Anderson for the rest of the series. I don't suppose the Aussies are too upset over that news!
  • laurentian
    Aus all out at last - 120 should be easy . . . shouldn't it??
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    Aus all out at last - 120 should be easy . . . shouldn't it??

It will be, should be finished before tea.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Never underestimate the England Cricket Teams ability to screw it up...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • laurentian
    Never underestimate the England Cricket Teams ability to screw it up...

we need 58 in two and a half days . . . surely we can't screw this up?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    . . . and we didn't! 2-1 up!!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ddraver
    Whoop!
    - @ddraver
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Brilliant day today, great bowling and batting! Also very loud too like Johnson when he was taking the stick from the crowd and ran up but didn't bowl had root laughing!
  • Great to see England prevail but have the cricketers of today forgotten how to play test cricket.

When I was a teenager most test matches seemed to last five days and there seemed to be a lot of draws. The likes of Boycott, Edrich and Amiss you had to get them out particularly if they were looking to tie a match rather than win. Test cricket then seemed to be as much about grinding the opposition bowlers down as much as scoring runs.

It seems buying a ticket for the fifth day is, well, you'd may as well buy a lottery ticket.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • What a load of crap on a forum that one would imagine had to be in some way connected or related to cycling .
    It is hard to believe that there is anything to fire the imagination in a game of cricket compare with some of the histrionics seen in major cycling competitions!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Well as starts go that's not so bad.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    No wicket for all of 5 minutes - boring ;-)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    F'in 'ell. Aussies must be aiming for a baseball score.
  • ddraver
    I...erm...ok then :shock:
    - @ddraver
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Can England enforce the follow on without batting?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Can England enforce the follow on without batting?

Happened before in South Africa. Hansie Cronje got himself a nice leather jacket. :)
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • verylonglegs
    Maybe we should smash a quick 200 and declare.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    I’ve been watching England long enough to know to reserve judgment until both teams have batted…
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I feel sorry for those with tickets for Sunday - it'll be over in three days this one again (If it lasts that long!)