TdF 2015 - Stage 5 - Arras - Amiens ***Spoilers***

Comments

• philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Have to see it again to know what happened. Once Cav lost Renshaw's wheel it was always going to be near impossible. So need to see why he lost it.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Can't blame Etixx train that's for sure.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Cav could always take up the noble sport of competitive BBQ'ing, thats on every ITV Player commercial break.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Poor positioning from Cav at the start of the sprint by the looks of it.

Nah looked like he was completely unobstructed. Sagan and Greipel both came from further back.

In his defence though he rode a hard race yesterday whereas Kristoff and Greipel took it very easy.

Greipel has prepared well mind you - very slow start but coming good here. Let's see if he makes it over the mountains.

He was on Sagan's wheel at 500m!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I wonder what Cavendish will post on twitter.

LOOK AT THIS PHOTO. IF I COULD HAVE WON I WOULD. AAARGGHHH.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Sagan the star of the sprint but beautifully timed and positioned by Greipel. Cav can't complain about this one today
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Cavendish went way to early. He may not be as quick as before, but he is mistiming the sprints.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    That famed kick is missing. Sagan flew past him. 5 years ago he would have been in a different postcode.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ben@31
    Second peloton just finishing now >14 minutes behind.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I wonder what Cavendish will post on twitter.

LOOK AT THIS PHOTO. IF I COULD HAVE WON I WOULD. AAARGGHHH.

*Sigh*
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Cavendish went way to early. He may not be as quick as before, but he is mistiming the sprints.

Agree with that, seems to have lost a little top end speed which used to allow him to get away with mistiming.
  • ben@31
    edited July 2015
    GC standings after todays stage...

1. Martin
    2. Froome +12"
    3. Van Garderen +25"
    4. SAGAN ^^^^^ +33"
    5. Gallopin +35"
    6. Van Avermaet +40"
    7 . Uran +46"
    8. Contador +48"
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    That stage was a comforting reminder of what the racing used to be like before it got mental. What a great year so far.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    8 stage wins in the Tour for Greipel. Same as Kittel.

CJZyqoEWsAAJtH4.png
    CJZy6-XWwAAXLrU.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    That famed kick is missing. Sagan flew past him. 5 years ago he would have been in a different postcode.

Cav is still quicker than Sagan, he's just getting his sprints wrong and Sagan was sprinting in the wheels until right before the line, so was a lot fresher than Cav at the end of the sprint, hence the big difference in speed.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Hard to think of a harder start to the Tour in recent years. There's going to be some very tired legs by the time we get to the Alps. Could mean we see more 'off days' than usual.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    Hard to think of a harder start to the Tour in recent years. There's going to be some very tired legs by the time we get to the Alps. Could mean we see more 'off days' than usual.

First summit finish going to have some serious casualties the day after a rest day and coming at the end of a long flat stage.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I reckon Cav has lost a little bit of top end but he's still as good as any of the others he's just not a class above them any more. Today he went too early into a headwind and was close enough. Kittel looked like he might be the new dominant sprinter but until he proves he can get back to his peak form I think that title remains vacant.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I reckon Cav has lost a little bit of top end but he's still as good as any of the others he's just not a class above them any more.
    Ageed.
    To be fair ?? he did puncture and had a hell of ride to join the peloton.
    Another thought that Kristoff couldn't get by him after sitting on his wheel for nearly a Km. ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Cav is just going too early, especially into the headwinds. That second kick isn't there so he needs to get the timing right. Renshaw dropping him off way too early on stage 2, then Cav losing his wheel today isn't helping. EQS seem to lead out far better when it's really fast, rather than a slower finish into the wind.

Though as I'm sure Cav would be saying 'it's easy to talk when you're sat on the sofa'. Really annoyed as I backed Cav today but secretly fancied Griepel to do it again.
  • At some point Cav has to take responsibility for his crap sprinting and poor placement and fans have to stop making excuses. The Cav of a few years ago would have destroyed that field regardless of his train falling apart or positioning being off. He just isn't the sprinter he was.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Next years contract is getting thinner.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Just to point out that in 2010 Cav won five stages. The first of those was stage 5.
    In 2011, he also won 5 stages. First of those was stage 5.

Cav losing a few sprints is nothing new.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Maybe he'll go back to doing the Giro as preparation instead of picking up an appearance fee at the Tour of Turkey
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    That stage was a comforting reminder of what the racing used to be like before it got mental. What a great year so far.
    Big credit to Thierry Gouvenou. He took over from Pescheux last year, and the last two TdFs have had brilliant first 5 days. Compare that with the standard pologue, TTT and 3 flat sprinters stages we used to have. It's true that riders make the race, but only to some degree.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    At some point Cav has to take responsibility for his crap sprinting and poor placement and fans have to stop making excuses. The Cav of a few years ago would have destroyed that field regardless of his train falling apart or positioning being off. He just isn't the sprinter he was.

And that point will be when he stops winning. Two poor sprints by his standard doesn't signal the end, if he wins 2 or 3 stages this Tour it will still be classed as a successful one.

I haven't seen anyone here saying he's as fast as a few years ago either....
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Big credit to Thierry Gouvenou. He took over from Pescheux last year, and the last two TdFs have had brilliant first 5 days. Compare that with the standard pologue, TTT and 3 flat sprinters stages we used to have. It's true that riders make the race, but only to some degree.

Entire regions turning out for foreign Grand Départs give the race some extra energy. (It's a great catalyst for all sorts of civic projects, too.)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    It looked to me like Cav got dropped on Renshaw's wheel and gave up.

The whole EQS set up look like they don't know what they are doing apart from Renshaw. To be fair the whole setup has looked rubbish since he joined from Sky who he said weren't doing a job for him.

I like Cav but he really needs to look at where he's at he's not 22 any more - and I still think he thinks he is.
  • frenchfighter
    Please stop saying he just got the sprint wrong. You dont sprint at the top of your game for close on a decade and get sprints wrong.
    Contador is the Greatest