TdF 2015 - Stage 5 - Arras - Amiens ***Spoilers***

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    More awful news for OGE. Albasini won't start tomorrows stage due to a broken arm.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    “The news, instead of I’m beaten again, maybe writing the news that Greipel has won. He’s a phenomenal sprinter, he’s in the green jersey and that’s the second stage he won this year.”
    Read more at Viz
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    “The news, instead of I’m beaten again, maybe writing the news that Greipel has won. He’s a phenomenal sprinter, he’s in the green jersey and that’s the second stage he won this year.”
    Read more at Viz
    He does come across as a spoilt brat sometimes
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Be interesting to see how Sagan gets on when it gets a bit lumpier.
    He looks bigger/stronger than previous years.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Read more at Viz
    He does come across as a spoilt brat sometimes

He does sometimes but I'd say that reply is the total opposite. He's suggesting Greipel should get credit for winning fair and square rather than saying Cav lost it again. Seems very magnanimous to me.
  • Macaloon
    In the interview Cav says he made no big mistakes and was beaten by a better man on the day. I actually posted the quote as a counter to the brat narrative. Won't do that again :wink:
  • 12 points for Demarre!! - glad he has been reading this - bit surprised he was on Kristoffs wheel and got rode off
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    edited July 2015
    More awful news for OGE. Albasini won't start tomorrows stage due to a broken arm.

So they are down to five and a half riders, with 3 stages until the TTT.
    Chapeau Monsieur Prudhomme.

Cav needs to do two things: 1) Get his lead out sorted. 2) Go faster.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Cavendish led out by world champion and then yellow jersey but bemoans a team mate who 'wasn't there'
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Please stop saying he just got the sprint wrong. You dont sprint at the top of your game for close on a decade and get sprints wrong.

That's like saying Nadal or Federer don't have bad matches because they've been at the top of their sport for years. It's not possible to get it right every time, the best just get it right a lot more than everyone else.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Please stop saying he just got the sprint wrong. You dont sprint at the top of your game for close on a decade and get sprints wrong.

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Hi lead out isn't slick at all. Renshaw blew too early on stage 2, today there was no cohesion in the last 3km compared to what we have seen before. And Cav doesn't seem to have that little extra that he once had. Maybe he's going too early.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not sure what the sadness is for OGE and the TTT. If you know anything about the final climb I think they wouldn't be favourites even if it was on stage 1.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Not sure what the sadness is for OGE and the TTT. If you know anything about the final climb I think they wouldn't be favourites even if it was on stage 1.

Nice that the Yates bros are together at 51st and 52nd on GC albeit separated by a few seconds. Presumably they'll be aiming to beat the cutoff and no more. And so far it's looking like a fair fight between the GC favs with no significant losses.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    In the interview Cav says he made no big mistakes and was beaten by a better man on the day. I actually posted the quote as a counter to the brat narrative. Won't do that again :wink:
    In print it sounds fine I agree, but the way he actually said it to the reporter with his sad puppy face on deserved the brat comment I thought. He's usually really happy to tell reporters blow by blow when he wins.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Hi lead out isn't slick at all. Renshaw blew too early on stage 2, today there was no cohesion in the last 3km compared to what we have seen before. And Cav doesn't seem to have that little extra that he once had. Maybe he's going too early.
    Absolutely this from my viewpoint. EQS leadout consistently duff (comparatively) forcing early moves. I do wonder if he'd be better doing the lone wheel poacher thing more often.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    didn't Cav effectively say a few years back "me on a bad day could beat Greipel on a good day"? how times change.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I hope you re right all of you pro Cav fans. I'm still a big fan and I even don't mind when he's a d1ck (not least becasue I think if i'd had a bit more of that in me I might have been a better sportsman). His exploits more than anything else got me into road cycling from MTBing

I hope we have a few more tours of Cav wins before he goes.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Criticising stage 2 is harsh. It wasn't a typical sprint stage and EQS had worked hard for the split meaning Renshaw was left as last man far too early as the others tired from the effort. Today, however, was a complete mess. He'd be better off leaving Lotto to do the work and trying to follow Greipel. He does seem to have lost his speed but also his race craft.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Sky's 2012 GC team positioned him better than the EQS shambles have done over the past 2.5 years. Must be a tad embarrassing for him after all his snide comments at sky after her left, that he won more in one season there than he has in 2.5 years at EQS.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Cavendish has always been slow to find his rhythm in the Tour. That said I think Greipel is simply faster than him right now.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sky's 2012 GC team positioned him better than the EQS shambles have done over the past 2.5 years. Must be a tad embarrassing for him after all his snide comments at sky after her left, that he won more in one season there than he has in 2.5 years at EQS.

Interesting stat. Not good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    It might be just me but are organisers also throwing in less Cav friendly flat sprint stages....or more slightly uphill drags in the last km.

No idea if this is right but someone more knowledgable than me may have a more informed view.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Now that there's a few sprinters about Cav's found his natural 3rd place.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 2h2 hours ago
    I guess I've to learn this thing they call "patience". Congrats for another fine sprint by @AndreGreipel. Sorry to my @Etixx_QuickStep boys.

Ride a hundred miles and get a mic shoved in my face, knowing a sound bite might be taken out of context, I would be guarded too.

Whatever happens he's won twenty five stages so deserves respect. Some of the sh1t spouted here wouldn't be to his face, you'd be kissing his arse.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Live broadcast stuff notwithstanding - these videos are getting really good!

https://amp.twimg.com/v/08c8910c-7111-4802-b23f-eb25c179cadb
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Absolutely this from my viewpoint. EQS leadout consistently duff (comparatively) forcing early moves. I do wonder if he'd be better doing the lone wheel poacher thing more often.

I wondered that. He's won stages like that in the past; Robbie McEwan was a master at it. Cav is usually a good reader of a sprint. I do wonder if he would be be as well to try using other teams' trains rather than following a slightly dysfunctional one and going a bit early.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sagan was closing at a mighty mighty rate.