pain in knee

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
I've started getting knee pain in my left knee.its neither front or back but just all around it . I've had a bike fit done and still i get this pain.at times its gets pretty sore and other times not to bad and other times no pain at all....just cant figure it out because if my fit was wrong you'd think my right knee would get sore as well . I'm thinking maybe do i need a shim in my cleats as my leg might be slightly shorter or something like that.

anybody else had this or can shed a bit of light on it?
TIA
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• Have you spoken to your bike fitter about it?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    ]just cant figure it out because if my fit was wrong you'd think my right knee would get sore as well .

No, unless your body and cycling technique are both completely symmetrical.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Physio

Strangely some people do sports that don't involve bikes and yet they still sometimes have injuries or just minor niggles. It's strange since we know the root of all issues must be the bike fit :roll:

Seriously, bodies are not infallible. This is especially true for those of us in sedentary jobs, those who have not always been in good shape or those who only participate in one very specific sport which doesn't provide good all round postural strength and flexibility, i.e. cycling.
  • gubber12345
    Have you spoken to your bike fitter about it?
    No i havent at the minute,but I've had the fit about a year ago with no problems until recently.i must give him a shout and see what he thinks it might be.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have you changed or adjusted anything on the bike since the fit?
    Are you doing alot more distance / riding harder without having rest days to recover?
  • gubber12345
    Have you changed or adjusted anything on the bike since the fit?
    Are you doing alot more distance / riding harder without having rest days to recover?
    Only thing I've moved is dropped the handlebars a couple of spacers and nothing else,although i have noticed that it seems to be at its worst on the days when I'm pushing that bit harder.
    i did think that i was maybe pushing to high a gear but its still there even when I'm spinning in a lower gear.....its especially bad on longish rides around 50 milers or over.

its starting to piss me off a bit tbh lol
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Only thing I've moved is dropped the handlebars a couple of spacers and nothing else,although i have noticed that

Maybe put a spacer back in, it could be your iliotibial band tightening with a more stretched/ lower position.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gubber12345
    Only thing I've moved is dropped the handlebars a couple of spacers and nothing else,although i have noticed that

Maybe put a spacer back in, it could be your iliotibial band tightening with a more stretched/ lower position.
    good idea SloppySchleckonds I'll give that a go and see how it goes. :wink:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • geoffnelder
    geoffnelder Posts: 165
    I had this in my left knee after I'd reached 50 years of cycling. Doc said it was the beginning of arthritis and that he takes glucosamine for his and although the jury is out on its effectiveness he found it worked for him and several patients. No, he wouldn't give me a prescription. I buy a vegan version (cos I'm quirky with my diet) and it works for me. If I ever forget to take it - eg on a holiday - the pain returns then goes when I start taking it again. It helps the cartilage not be thinned as much and so not letting the bones crunch together (in a nutshell). Sometimes the pain returns a bit after 35 miles or so in the hills but a squirt of iboprufen get quiets it down again.