London Six Day

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited October 2015 in Pro race
http://sixday.com/

I know there's a 6 day thread but the search function is pants
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Anybody on here going?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Dunno what it costs to go and watch a 6 day in Europe... But the cost of going to watch track racing seems to have gone up a fair whack over the last few years. I'm sure it only cost about £50-60 for all three of us to watch an evening session of the World Champs and then the World Cup a few years ago (poss 2010/11 iirc).
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I'd like to support it. IIRC a one-night Gent 6 ticket is about Ee35
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    That's not too savage to be honest. I'll probably go. I've been to a few events at Lee Valley and thoroughly enjoyed them
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    That's not too savage to be honest. I'll probably go. I've been to a few events at Lee Valley and thoroughly enjoyed them
    I won't be going to Lee Valley again. Every time I've been (Olympics, Paralympics, Revolutions, Wiggins Hour) the food and drink queues have been ridiculous, with substandard expensive fare at the end of the queue. Have passed my limit with it!!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

Maybe not, but it's a pretty big hit when 3 of us want to go! Plus train/driving costs. Can't remember it costing this for all three of us to go to World Cup/Champs events.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    For me the London track events are always too expensive. As a Londoner I'd rather go to Manchester for a weekend and watch an event at the velodrome there. This year we are going to Manchester for Revolution, with tickets that allow us into the area inside the track, for less than the price of the London Six day tickets.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I'd like to support it. IIRC a one-night Gent 6 ticket is about Ee35

€25 for the centre, €35 in the seats.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Paul 8v
    I suppose this is what happens when something becomes more popular. (When was the last time you saw a cyclist advertising shampoo on our screens!)

The thing that pissed me off at the Wiggins hour was the jobsworth security guards stopping you from standing still in one place for too long! Apart from that, it was expensive but it was worth it to see (probably) the last decent thing Wiggins ever does.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    ... the last decent thing Wiggins ever does.

If Sercu gets him to ride Gent, I reckon there's a good chance he might ride London. Wiggins v Froome omnium? That would pull the crowds.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    ... the last decent thing Wiggins ever does.

If Sercu gets him to ride Gent, I reckon there's a good chance he might ride London. Wiggins v Froome omnium? That would pull the crowds.

I think this may be a done deal. He wanted to do it last year but Sky nixed it. Put it this way, if he's riding the cycling festival in Stoke, why would he not want to ride a six in his hometown and in his other hometown too?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Sunday, October 18
    1878 Cup: Scratch race, Elimination race, Long lap, 500m ITT, Points race
    Sprinters: 200m ITT, Semi-finals, Final
    U23 Cup: 40km Madison
    Monday, October 19
    Six Day: 20km Madison, 40 lap Derny, Team Elimination, 500m Madison TT
    Sprinters: 200m ITT, Semi-finals, Final, Keirin
    Tuesday, October 20
    Six Day: 20km Madison, 40 lap Derny, Team Elimination, 500m ITT
    Wednesday, October 21
    Women: Points, Elimination, Scratch
    Thursday, October 22
    Friday, October 23
    Men’s lineup
    Morgan Kneisky (Fra) and Lucas Liss (Ger)
    Michael Morkov (DEN) and Jasper Morkov (DEN)
    Iljo Keisse (Bel) and Gijs Van Hoecke (Bel)
    Glenn O’Shea (Aus) and Adam Blythe (GBR)
    Alex Rasmussen (DEN) and Mark Hester (DEN)
    Germain Burton (GBR) and Mark Stewart (GBR)
    Chris Latham (GBR) and Ollie Wood (GBR)
    Niki Terpstra (NED) and Yoeri Havik (NED)
    Stefan Schafer (Ger) and Christian Grasman (Ger)
    Sebastian Wotschke (Ger) and Achim Burkart (Ger)
    Jasper Asselman (Ned) and Welsey Kreder (Ned)
    Lasse-Norman Hansen (Den) and Martyn Irvine (Irl)
    David Muntaner (Spa) and Albert Torres (Spa)
    Ivan Kovalev (Rus) and Melvin Van Zijl (Ned)
    Chris Lawless (GBR) and Denis Rugovac (Cze)
    Andreas Muller (Aut) and Andreas Graf (Aut)
    Jacob Duehring (USA) and Daniel Holloway (USA)
    Kenny De Ketele (Bel) and Moreno De Pauw (Bel)
    Women’s lineup
    Laura Basso (Ita), Janine Bubner (Ger), Tela Crane (USA), Verena Eberhardt (Aut), Charline Joiner (GBR), Romy Kasper (Ger), Dani King (GBR), Lisa Kullmer (Ger), Judith Leth (Den)
    Jarmila Machacova (Cze), Tatjana Paller (Ger), Alzbeta Pavlendova (Svk), Stephanie Pohl (Ger), Christine Robson (GBR), Anita Yvonne Stenberg (Nor), Sarah Storey (GBR), Amalie Winther-Olson (Den), Malgorzata Wojtyra (Pol)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Gijs Van Hoecke has been up and coming for a couple of years now, good match for keisse. He's confirmed for Gent too which makes me think, contrary to my deranged ramblings of the last 12 months, there'll be no wiggins and no cav

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    If we are doing a 6 day pundit I'm backing De Ketele and De Pauw
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'll be there on Monday and Thursday. Looking forward to it.

And then Ghent... who's off to Ghent?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

• The thing that pissed me off at the Wiggins hour was the jobsworth security guards stopping you from standing still in one place for too long!

Yeah, I got a bit annoyed with this as well. Couldn't see what the problem was.
  • I'll be there on Monday and Thursday. Looking forward to it.

Friday and Saturday for me. Koksijde on sunday

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I think I am going to London 6 day.

Was offered a ticket by someone who has two, but he's gone quiet...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'll be there on Monday and Thursday. Looking forward to it.

I'll be there ('t Kuipke; not Koksijde) on Saturday with my brother. We get there at Friday lunch, so any tips for bars and restaurants?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I'll be there on Monday and Thursday. Looking forward to it.

I'll be there ('t Kuipke; not Koksijde) on Saturday with my brother. We get there at Friday lunch, so any tips for bars and restaurants?

I've got a friend coming on the Friday so I'm off work. If you want a wee guided tour and a couple of bars in the afternoon/early evening or you'd rather just the recommendations drop me a PM and i'll sort it for you.

This goes for any other forumites going, too. Happy to help!

Every evening at the 6 should be enlivened by a trip to De Karper though. It's right on the no. 1 tram route most will take to get the Kuipke from the station/town and is owned by Iljo Keisse's dad. His sister (not his mother, as my clubmate addressed her) also work's there. They have loads of cycling memorabilia in the place including a cardboard cut out of Boonen, Iljo and Cav endorsing a honey beer.

@gietvangent
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    Is there any TV coverage? Didn't spot any when I flicked through the channels yesterday.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Eurosport from 8.30 pm every weekday this week
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Just back from hols and the other half got us tickets for Friday... looking forward to it!
  • rick_chasey
    Just back from hols and the other half got us tickets for Friday... looking forward to it!

Nice one. Enjoy!
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    We went down for yesterday's session. First experience of track cycling, been to plenty of road races and crits. Really enjoyed it as a spectacle, really get what they are trying to do, was about 2/3 full, so atmosphere was a bit flat, did ramp up a bit when Mark Stewart started getting results. The PA was not set up properly so you couldn't really hear the interviews etc for the first half but they seemed to get it sorted a bit towards the end so hopefully that will get better. Also timing screens were not great but when they did work properly it really added to the spectacle. Obviously this hasn't got the same sort of following as the event in Belgium and I doubt it will take off as much but was an enjoyable evening and I would go again.

Queues for food/drink/toilets were all fine, much shorter than the equivalent at football/rugby would be.

A special mention to one of the stewards who saw my wife was pregnant up moved us from the upper tier to front row trackside seats on the straigh, much appreciated and unexpected.
  • Paul 8v
    Free tickets for Thursday and a meeting in the city before so I don't even have to pay for the train. Result!
  • Nice Devil to start the tv coverage.
    The camera on Nikki Terpstra's bike is awesome.

Some empty seats..........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Nice Devil to start the tv coverage.
    The camera on Nikki Terpstra's bike is awesome.

Some empty seats..........

To fill it for 6 days in a row you need to reduce the price.
  • Dundee boy Mark Stewart takes the 1878 cup. The lad has some serious talent and is destined for great things I reckon.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Looked decent enough on tv, but I guess you can only real judge when you are there!

Ive been to Gent, one night in the track centre, the next in seats and it was awesome and packed both nights, but I also went to Rotterdam and it was a totally different experience - not as busy, much more modern venue, but so, so much entertainment and give-aways around the concourse to keep you occupied, almost too occupied as you often missed parts of races!

Think we paid about €20/25 a night for Gent and Rotterdam, what are London prices? Edit* - just checked, £56 for a good seat! I'd rather travel to Belgium or Holland...
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....