Strava comes to garmin

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    yeah not the brightest idea but it is already available with Garmin segments and mapmyride to name but a few, what's interesting is the Garmin/Strava link up now which company will buy which out?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    in fact earlier this year i used the endomondo app pep talk and progress announcements, i like it calling out avg speed, distance pace etc etc.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    This was released for the 810 and 510 last night!
  • itboffin
    must have been a little while ago because last Sat i had three segments pop up, i totally wasnt in the mood for silly segments :evil:

i need to disable that feature
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Do you not need to tell it what segments you want or does it just flag them all as you approach? Some rides could get very annoying if it's the latter
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    Do you not need to tell it what segments you want or does it just flag them all as you approach? Some rides could get very annoying if it's the latter

i didnt and those three i mentioned just popped up, as i said i was feeling knackered and that really didnt make me feel any better.
  • Do you not need to tell it what segments you want or does it just flag them all as you approach? Some rides could get very annoying if it's the latter

You have to tell it which ones you want first. Via the Strava starred segments feature. I'm getting a Garmin 520 and I think I'll probably have a couple of my local climbs in there but that's about it.
  • itboffin
    i'd be very interested to hear how people are getting on with Garmin firmware v4.2
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    i'd be very interested to hear how people are getting on with Garmin firmware v4.2

I've been on 4.2 since getting my 810 and updating the software, had no issues that spring to mind. Just updated to allow Strava segments and will see how that goes tomorrow.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    you sure about that as 4.2 is the strava update which came out a few days ago?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    in fact earlier this year i used the endomondo app pep talk and progress announcements, i like it calling out avg speed, distance pace etc etc.

I like to use it to send abusive messages to my mate while he's cycling - way too much fun!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

How do I get rid of it and make it stay got rid of (actually, I know how to get rid but I'm not sure how to stop the malware reloading so advice gratefully received! Previously it seems to have been left to me whether I want to make my 810 worse by installing a new firmware or not). Going back to 2.8.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    ha and you thought you owned your Garmin.

oh and welcome back
  • rolf_f
    ha and you thought you owned your Garmin.

oh and welcome back

Thank you kindly! Will post something about that this weekend.

810 was fine for 3 months of cycling every day once I'd got rid of 3.6 and got 2.8 uploaded. Now I discover that in my absence, Garmin has apparently been taken over by Apple with all the lobotomising that that implies! On an 11 mile commute, the Garmin on 4.2, managed to switch itself off entirely twice whilst I just caught it in time on at least three further occasions.

I could probably get by on 4.2 until I next need the dynamo which might not be for some time but I don't see the point. I haven't spotted anything in 4.2 that I need and there wasn't anything in 3.6 that was notably better than 2.8.
  • i'd be very interested to hear how people are getting on with Garmin firmware v4.2

Not well.

Unit was auto pausing it self constantly on yesterdays ride. Speed is set to 2mph for auto pause and I wasn't doing that badly!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    So as long as I don't plug my unit into a computer and let Garmin Connect open I should be OK and it won't update?
  • itboffin
    So as long as I don't plug my unit into a computer and let Garmin Connect open I should be OK and it won't update?

yep also disable the auto update options in garmin express or whatever the hell its called now
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    not bad, sometimes fails to auto upload but other than that its good! (so far)
  • redvee
    I updated to 4.2 last week when it was released and haven't had any of the problems others have had. It connects to my phone via bluetooth straight away, uploads when I save the ride without any issues too.
  • rolf_f

yep also disable the auto update options in garmin express or whatever the hell its called now

And if you do that, are you sure that you won't find some big blokes from Garmin waiting for you when you get home to try to persuade you that you do want to update to 4.2?
  • itboffin
    Nah they'd get lost trying to find my house.
  • redvee

Is that cause they're using their Garmin on 4.2 to guide them?
  • itboffin

that was implied :roll:
  • rolf_f

I dunno, you go to a whole lot of trouble setting up an obvious gag and folk still aren't quite sure about it! :lol:
  • itboffin

I dunno, you go to a whole lot of trouble setting up an obvious gag and folk still aren't quite sure about it! :lol:

I put it down to the shift work and all the late night ranting :lol:
  • itboffin
    I'm a sucker for software updates so sure enough I upgraded and sure enough on the first ride it switched off, then went segment mental when I turned it back on.

Garmin FAIL ....AGAIN
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I updated my 810 the night the update came out, it's worked fine ever since until my ride home on Monday night. It turned off suddenly, then I turned it back on and it got stuck in a loop between telling me I was about to start a segment and then beeping to tell me I was off the segment route. Eventually I tried ending my ride, and it got stuck trying to save it. Then I turned my Garmin off, and after that it just froze during start up every time I tried to turn it on so I had to hard reset it and lost a week's worth of commutes that I hadn't synced yet.

Not my favourite "upgrade" ever I must say.
  • itboffin
    yep that sounds like what happened with mine, i let it do the segment freak out and it seemed to settle down, i've since disabled all uploaded segments, i couldnt find an option to disabled that feature fully.

i've also downloaded the 3.62b software just in case this gets totally out of control.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    yep that sounds like what happened with mine, i let it do the segment freak out and it seemed to settle down, i've since disabled all uploaded segments, i couldnt find an option to disabled that feature fully.

i've also downloaded the 3.62b software just in case this gets totally out of control.
    I left mine doing the segment freakout for a good 10 minutes before I tried to end the ride which is what seemed to finally kill it.