Saddle Profile

waterford123
waterford123 Posts: 172
I had a bike fit not so long ago, according to the report back my saddle height should be 770 from the bb to the centre of the saddle profile. Sorry to sound a bit thick but where is the centre of the saddle profile? Top, middle or bottom?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What did the bike fitter say when you asked him?
  • waterford123
    waterford123 Posts: 172
    I've not asked him yet. I'm just being an impatient child and hoping someone might know. You're totally right though I'll ring him tomorrow. You know what it's like when it comes to the bike, I need to know now!
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    A guess - but since saddle don't have to be positioned exactly centrally fore-and-aft on the seatpost, he's saying measure the distance from the centre of the BB to the "middle" of the saddle itself, as opposed to directly along the seat tube/post line as most tend to do. An inch or two either way (back to front) won't make that much odds to the distance being measured.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I had a bike fit not so long ago, according to the report back my saddle height should be 770 from the bb to the centre of the saddle profile. Sorry to sound a bit thick but where is the centre of the saddle profile? Top, middle or bottom?

Dependant on where you measure to on the saddle, then maybe 5mm difference either side of centre of seat tube line, a mate of mine, a well known bike fitter, measures 2/3 rds from tip of saddle.

I dont know what you mean by top.... bottom etc. but your fitters terminology is unique to him, anything else is a guess.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I always measure mine directly in line with the seat tube so it's constant whatever saddle profile / seat post I'm using.

Probably not logical since my sitbones are further back, but it seems to work in practice.

In any case, the dimension was determined during the fitting for my first bike, using a saddle I later swapped, more than once. And I now use the same figure on an entirely different bike / saddle / post. It does feel right though, my leg extension looks the same on the old and new bikes, and both are comfortable.