The Le Tour Thread: Spoliers

13»

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Looks like Froome has it all tied up then, a little disappointing will all the expectation of a big fight between the big four - not even like the other contenders are that close to each other either - Quintana should be a shoe in for second, Tejay looks a decent bet for third.

Contador and Nibali both completely gone by the looks of it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Froome is actually quite attacking in the mountains isn't he?

Yes. Yes, he is.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Winning by a minute is impressive, but it looked more crushing because it was such a long attack. Quintana will find some of the other mountain stages more to his liking so there is still a contest although down to those two I reckon. Great ride G. Gallopin a big surprise.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Quintana's interview was very good though, he admitted that Froome was just too good for him that day, very pragmatic, no silly excuses, just beaten by a better man on the day, and they would look at how they could attack back, very mature.

Apart from uphill finishes I think Froome has it sewn up, todays stage for example has a long flattish section after the climbs, so Sky will make sure Froome won't lose anything today. With Porte and Thomas Froome has the support that Quintana can only dream of, his team just don't have the firepower at times to take them on, Valverde is the only one who can get close to it and yesterday he was found lacking.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I bet Geraint was glad of his lid today! Wow, what a spectacular crash - I was fearing he was properly hurt!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I bet Geraint was glad of his lid today! Wow, what a spectacular crash - I was fearing he was properly hurt!

I honestly thought he might be killed :(
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Ah, dramatic crashes are never the bad ones.

It's when they just stop and don't move that you panic.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

Yep me too and a helmet doesn't help when your neck hits a wooden post, I really did think shit he's dead.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider

Yep me too and a helmet doesn't help when your neck hits a wooden post, I really did think shoot he's dead.

I watched it about 10x on Eurosport - it looked like his head. In fact, I thought his helmet was dented on that side when he rode in. Whatever, I was glad he was OK - still a lot of energy going on there.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    Crappy screengrab but if his head isn't hitting the pole, I'm astonished

Geraint.JPG
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm finding this Tour distasteful and that I'm turning away from it. It really is toxic and I'm left questioning whether the race is worth winning, when doing so means you'll be accused of doping.

Even with the GC all but won there is some great racing but the cloud of accusations is overwhelming.

This years Giro and last years Vuelta were far more pleasant. I find I enjoy watching those more.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I'm finding this Tour distasteful and that I'm turning away from it. It really is toxic and I'm left questioning whether the race is worth winning, when doing so means you'll be accused of doping.

Even with the GC all but won there is some great racing but the cloud of accusations is overwhelming.

This years Giro and last years Vuelta were far more pleasant. I find I enjoy watching those more.

thats not the Tour it's self but reading/listening to what amounts to gossip they have nothing to back it up, really don't.

That's not to be totally trusting, after all at least one of the Fab Four has been done for doping so the chances of a 100% clean tour is low.

I think it's unlikely that it's happening at a team level, though not impossible.

it's impossible to prove negative, but equally you win a tour on something thats hard to detect, it's worth noting that truth/information has a way like water of finding a way out, and tests get better.

you will get found just a matter of time.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

If you listen to the riders and the DSs then there is mutual respect, a fair amount of camaraderie, and a true sporting spirit - the mistake is listening to the Dopers being employed as pundits (although seeing Rasmussen being taken down by lil Pete Kennaugh was worth it).

And I don't think the GC is a foregone conclusion - one mistake on a MTF and we could see big time gaps. Movistar need to get to the bottom of a climb with Froome isolated and then tag team with Quintana and Valverde - it is a remote chance but Sky have not looked invulnerable and if G has problems recovering from crash then it is still to play for.

I loved the Giro this year as well - but there wasn't a lot of love lost between Contador and Astana, there was attacking under mechanicals, and Landa was pulled back from stage wins and possible overall to favour Aru; so not perfect and bad taste free