Route du Sud ***Spoilers***

2»

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Was a very enjoyable last 16km which was all we got from Eurosport - i.e. the descent where Quintana had Contador in his sights the whole way down but couldn't close the gap.

Shame we couldn't see the final climb up to see how the split came. As Frenchie would say, a 'heavyweight' stage.

Enjoyed the camera work too.
    English Eurosport coverage of the whole climb (Kirby warning).
    Contador attacking on the descent

Quintana didn't look in any trouble at all during Contador's various accelerations, but on the other hand it never seemed like Contador was going all out either or they'd have caught Latour long before they actually did.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    its on eurosport player now without commentary can just hear the chopper, the motos, the riders and the odd fan :-)
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    its on eurosport player now without commentary can just hear the chopper

I thought you said no Kirby!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The Armée de Terre team is a brilliant idea.
    It was founded with the intention of aiding in the Army's recruitment efforts. The team offered unusual benefits to its riders, such as a potential career in the Army, accommodation and training facilities rarely provided by a domestic team. The team received approximately 40 applications from riders wishing to join it for its first season, which included top-level amateurs and some professional riders. The hiring process was made more complicated by the requirement to enlist the riders as soldiers
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    It was founded with the intention of aiding in the Army's recruitment efforts. The team offered unusual benefits to its riders, such as a potential career in the Army, accommodation and training facilities rarely provided by a domestic team. The team received approximately 40 applications from riders wishing to join it for its first season, which included top-level amateurs and some professional riders. The hiring process was made more complicated by the requirement to enlist the riders as soldiers

I trust this accommodation is 4 star...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Watching Quintana and Contador dance their way up the mountain is just great - like they are out for a Sunday stroll compared to the others. Both of them able to stay out the saddle for so long, proper natural climbers not like the head down seated grinders or silly spinners that we witness elsewhere.

Very long time they were out ahead and Contador lifted the pace pretty early on.

Very impressive by Latour albeit with an awful style.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Very impressive by Latour albeit with an awful style.
    I think his "awful style" was simply a result of him absolutely emptying himself just trying to stay with Quintana and Contador, two of the best climbers on the planet...
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691

The French army? Can you get bikes with reverse gears now?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

The French army? Can you get bikes with reverse gears now?

Reminds me of the old joke.

For sale - French Army rifle. Dropped once.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    its on eurosport player now without commentary can just hear the chopper

I thought you said no Kirby!

Ba-doom-tish
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.