Achilles tendon strain

bobones
bobones Posts: 1,215
I strained my Achilles tendon last Wednesday and aggravated it by riding over the weekend such that the tendon was pretty red, swollen and sore. I've not ridden since Sunday and have been applying ice to the tendon and taking ibuprofen, and the swelling and redness have reduced dramatically. There is no pain when walking, but I can feel it a little if I stretch my foot or squeeze the tendon. How do I know when it is safe to start riding again? I was thinking of having a gentle ride tonight, but I don't want to exacerbate the problem. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd keep up the ibuprofen and stretching but stay off the bike until it's completely pain-free.

That's what you wanted to hear, right?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I'd keep up the ibuprofen and stretching but stay off the bike until it's completely pain-free.

That's what you wanted to hear, right?
    Not at all! I want to ride my bike now, but it sounds like sensible advice.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Follow keefs advice as aggravating an injury can at best take longer to heal and at worst cause longterm problems.
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    Definitely give it time, last thing you want to do is keep aggrevating it, as achilles injuries can take months to heal! Just be patient and take a couple of weeks off.