Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,209
    rjsterry wrote:
    Quite obviously not.

If you were tasked with defending the UK you would have two aircraft carriers rather than more shore based fighters/bombers and long range patrol aircraft?
    That's not the question I answered.

The purpose of our military is not solely the defence of the British Isles and overseas territories, although obviously that is its primary purpose. For a start we have responsibilities under NATO.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I'm guessing this thread closes on Friday 9th June as even I don't think the labour party will be stupid enough to put JC forward again :lol:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Labour are not going to let local constituencies choose the candidates. All sitting MPs will be allowed to stand unopposed, all losing candidates from 2015 can stand in the same constituency, all other candidates will be selected by the NEC. This could be entertaining.
  • Is this the comeback for David Milliband?

Although I suspect he'll wait until Brexit is completed so that he does not have try to appeal to both sides of Labour's voter views
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,209
    I'm guessing this thread closes on Friday 9th June as even I don't think the labour party will be stupid enough to put JC forward again :lol:
    He would still have to resign, which is not certain.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,846
    I'm guessing this thread closes on Friday 9th June as even I don't think the labour party will be stupid enough to put JC forward again :lol:
    Not so fast Coopster. Even if Communist Captain Birdseye resigns or is deposed there will be another leftietwat put forward to keep the loony left membership happy. And I'll be ready waiting to vote for them :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not so fast Coopster. Even if Communist Captain Birdseye resigns or is deposed there will be another leftietwat put forward to keep the loony left membership happy. And I'll be ready waiting to vote for them :)

Lloyd George? i heard a speech from him recorded in 1908, the other day, this guy would have had you in a rage, he made what Corbyn says seem as if it were written by John Redwood.

But the difference wasnt that George was a revolutionary firebrand but that he inspired, which is Corbyns huge problem, he is just insipid in comparison, support now down to less than 15% of the pop who think he would make a decent PM.

Its a pity Emily Thornbury isnt Labours leader, she has the intellect and ideas to tie TM in knots or perhaps one of the Eagle sisters.
  • mrfpb
    ET has been on the news shows giving a good speech, but is still small fry compared to the likes of Hillary Benn, she's just the most articulate person that Corbyn has on-message. But that's not exactly a big group of people.
  • Lookyhere
    mrfpb wrote:
    ET has been on the news shows giving a good speech, but is still small fry compared to the likes of Hillary Benn, she's just the most articulate person that Corbyn has on-message. But that's not exactly a big group of people.

Benn lacks the bitchiness and quick thinking for PMQs (as does JC) and the party members will never forgive him for going against JC over Syria and what the xxxx was he doing triggering a leadership contest, with the Tories in turmoil???
    they could have gone for jugular, instead Benn let them off the hook, the Tories must have thought Christmas had come early.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Lookyhere wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

Benn lacks the bitchiness and quick thinking for PMQs (as does JC) and the party members will never forgive him for going against JC over Syria and what the xxxx was he doing triggering a leadership contest, with the Tories in turmoil???
    they could have gone for jugular, instead Benn let them off the hook, the Tories must have thought Christmas had come early.

Does PMQs have relevance in the public's mind, or is it only of interest to political anoraks?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Lookyhere
    Jez mon wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

Does PMQs have relevance in the public's mind, or is it only of interest to political anoraks?

the little sound bites where JC (or who ever) screws up, helps put in the public mind, whether someone is competent or not.
    these things get reported, TV and print media....

its obviously not the only thing but if you struggle there, you ll struggle on the various TV shows etc, this is where Blair did so well, dont dismiss the perception (however unfairly) PMQs plays in how the public view our leaders, if it didnt matter, the PM wouldnt spend so much time preping for it.
  • Stevo_666
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Its a pity Emily Thornbury isnt Labours leader, she has the intellect and ideas to tie TM in knots or perhaps one of the Eagle sisters.
    Can't say I ever recall her being impressive in anyway. But if she is a Corbynite then I'll vote for her to replace Corbyn. Doesn't really matter if she is a bit brighter than JC, if their policies are the same pile of steaming leftiebollox as now, very few people will buy into New Old Labour that don't already support them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Can't say I ever recall her being impressive in anyway. But if she is a Corbynite then I'll vote for her to replace Corbyn. Doesn't really matter if she is a bit brighter than JC, if their policies are the same pile of steaming leftiebollox as now, very few people will buy into New Old Labour that don't already support them.

If thornbury or corbyn voted to bring back the poor house and cut higher rate taxes, you d not be impressed!

even the Times offered (slight) praise for Corbyns little speech yesterday, too little too late but perhaps the tories greatest enemy in this election is complacency.

i see Hammonds tax grab on NI and now Probate fees quietly dropped... good to see they thought through these plans before the budget lol!
    funny isnt, when the Tories announce tax rises (or U-turns) thats all ok...... reasonable blah blah but the moment labour suggest such a thing... its leftiebollox and will destroy the very fabric of the nation? as if leaving the EU (a direct result of tory policy) wont have a far bigger affect?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,866
    mamba80 wrote:
    even the Times offered (slight) praise for Corbyns little speech yesterday, too little too late but perhaps the tories greatest enemy in this election is complacency.

Was that the praise: "It was ballsy, confident, so much better than usual. Which is still not the same as being good"
  • mamba80
    mamba80 wrote:

Was that the praise: "It was ballsy, confident, so much better than usual. Which is still not the same as being good"

from a Murdock paper, that was rapturous applause
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

I think he is pretty good at rabble rousing - he just needs to stay away from interviews and debates
  • kingstongraham
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

I think he is pretty good at rabble rousing - he just needs to stay away from interviews and debates

He also needs to accept that he will get asked questions when he is leaving his office or home. While I kind of admire his refusal to allow the media to intrude on his personal life, I think a shy PM is quite a hard sell.
  • mrfpb
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:

If you want to take this thread to the limit Stevo, you've got until Sunday to scrape together your £500 deposit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39658426

Plenty of vacancies, I hear.
  • Lookyhere
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

He also needs to accept that he will get asked questions when he is leaving his office or home. While I kind of admire his refusal to allow the media to intrude on his personal life, I think a shy PM is quite a hard sell.

Agree, hopefully May, who is refusing point blank to take ad hoc questions from the media nor do a leaders debate, will prove to be a hard sell indeed.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:

If thornbury or corbyn voted to bring back the poor house and cut higher rate taxes, you d not be impressed!

i see Hammonds tax grab on NI and now Probate fees quietly dropped... good to see they thought through these plans before the budget lol!
    funny isnt, when the Tories announce tax rises (or U-turns) thats all ok...... reasonable blah blah but the moment labour suggest such a thing... its leftiebollox and will destroy the very fabric of the nation? as if leaving the EU (a direct result of tory policy) wont have a far bigger affect?
    Let's see the Labour manifesto. If its anyrhing like the rhetoric in the recent speeches, then it would be a case of a re-run of the old Sun headline on Kinnock. Except this time they would really mean it :)

If%20Kinnick%20Wins-st.jpg
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Can't compare him to Kinnock, he's nowhere near as good as that.
  • mrfpb
    I suspect he will be the equal of Kinnock in seeking to lose two general elections
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/pledges

Calm down people, let's not diss the Corbyn just because that's what the BBC say.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Corbster is a bit of an anomaly. Blairites took their eye off the ball and Corbs snuck in. Doubtful they would allow that to happen again, unless they hopefully decline out of existence. The looney left membership is very small currently, actually expelled from the LP officially.

Voltaire
  • kingstongraham
    meursault wrote:

Calm down people, let's not diss the Corbyn just because that's what the BBC say.

What is "democratic social control over our energy"?
  • Stevo_666
    meursault wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Corbster is a bit of an anomaly. Blairites took their eye off the ball and Corbs snuck in. Doubtful they would allow that to happen again, unless they hopefully decline out of existence. The looney left membership is very small currently, actually expelled from the LP officially.
    There are enough of them to elect Corbyn as leader with 60% of the vote.
  • mamba80
    meursault wrote:

basically a form of public intervention in pre tax energy pricing,
    we ve the most expensive energy in europe, why is that? why should that continue to be the case? if edf can make money in europe, given the global pricing for fossil fuels, why are we paying soooo much more.

as jc might say "why are we putting up with this shitte? things can change and this is our chance" or you can have another 5 years of excuses, shitte nhs, shitte education, and shitte roads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... e-why.html
  • meursault
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

There are enough of them to elect Corbyn as leader with 60% of the vote.

Yeah, but it wasn't us Trots or other shade of peoples popular front. More of a protest vote against Margaret Blairites from the membership.

Do you mean the centre right is the new left? 8)

Voltaire
  • Stevo_666
    meursault wrote:
    Yeah, but it wasn't us Trots or other shade of peoples popular front. More of a protest vote against Margaret Blairites from the membership.
    I can see a sort of twisted logic to that. The membership protests against the bloke who won three general elections on the trot for Labour by voting in a trot who has destroyed the party's chances of getting elected. Well done :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

basically a form of public intervention in pre tax energy pricing,
    we ve the most expensive energy in europe, why is that? why should that continue to be the case? if edf can make money in europe, given the global pricing for fossil fuels, why are we paying soooo much more.

as jc might say "why are we putting up with this shitte? things can change and this is our chance" or you can have another 5 years of excuses, shitte nhs, shitte education, and shitte roads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... e-why.html
    Not according to other sources:
    https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html