Stomach Cramp

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
I did my first 100 mile ride last week and at about 70 miles I started suffering with stomach cramp, which was a bit unusual as I've done quite a few 70-80 mile rides this year and never had any problems.

Usually on 60-80 mile rides I'll take 1 or 2 (depending on weather and distance) 750ml bottles with 1 half fresh orange half water and 1 water and eat a 35g fruit muesli breakfast bar every hour.

For the 100 mile ride I had 2 750ml bottles both with half fresh orange and half water and ate a 35g fruit muesli breakfast bar every 45mins.

I'm thinking it's because of too much sugar and I should have just had 1 bottle 50:50 juice:water, 1 bottle water and 1 breakfast bar every hour like normal. Or could there be another reason?

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I've never heard of stomach cramps without caffeine being the culprit. There are a lot of stomach bugs going around.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I had a coffee with my breakfast, which is the norm so I can't see it being that. And within 2 hours of getting cramp it was gone and no ill effects since so pretty sure it wasn't a bug.

The only thing different to normal (aside from the distance) was upping the amount eaten. I plan on doing another century this weekend so a bit concerned I suffer again.