Cat 4 v Cat 3/4

2»

Comments

• Taeo1
    Taeo1 Posts: 17
    There was a noticeable difference in pace between 3/4 vs 4 races at some circuits locat to me, the problem with 3/4 races is you can get 3rd cat riders which were good 2nd cat riders the year before but didn't ge the ponts to stay up....then come to 3rd cat and smash it to bits....good fun though :p
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    There shouldn't be any good 2nd cats dropping back to 3rd cat IMO. Not like 1st cat where you'll always race with elites.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Taeo1 wrote:
    There was a noticeable difference in pace between 3/4 vs 4 races at some circuits locat to me, the problem with 3/4 races is you can get 3rd cat riders which were good 2nd cat riders the year before but didn't ge the ponts to stay up....then come to 3rd cat and smash it to bits....good fun though :p

That was my experience of 3rd cats too - a big ability range. I've not raced for years now, but If I started again I'd be back as a 3rd cat trying to mix it with people who bounced down from 2nd cat the year before.

My favourite racing experience was in handicapped races with four groups going off at different intervals. Had no hopers like me going off in first/second group through to the local pros going off in the last group.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Cat 4 crits can feel like a demolition derby. A 3/4 is a bit quicker and the critical mass of more experienced riders keeps the standard of behaviour up a bit. In cat 4s there can be a bit of reluctance, or lack of confidence to really go for breaks. Breaks are more likely in Cat 3s, I think just because there are riders that are more Ok with the idea of 1 or 2 hours on the rivet and are more likely to have the skills to be organised working in a break.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Alex99 wrote:
    Cat 4 crits can feel like a demolition derby. A 3/4 is a bit quicker and the critical mass of more experienced riders keeps the standard of behaviour up a bit. In cat 4s there can be a bit of reluctance, or lack of confidence to really go for breaks. Breaks are more likely in Cat 3s, I think just because there are riders that are more Ok with the idea of 1 or 2 hours on the rivet and are more likely to have the skills to be organised working in a break.

you also get people chasing down breaks as soon as they kick off in 4ths races. the couple of 3/4's ive raced in were harder but easier because the people on the front were pulling faster and harder and the dead wood was getting jettisoned out the back quicker!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There's also a better understanding in 3/4s that not every single break needs chasing down - some come back on their own.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Imposter wrote:
    There's also a better understanding in 3/4s that not every single break needs chasing down - some come back on their own.

Usually me, like there is a bit of elastic between me and the bunch :cry: