Orange Crush AM 2015

Cyph3rs
Cyph3rs Posts: 69
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I've just ordered this bike, primary use is for aggressive trail riding... Is this a good bike?

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/crush-am

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shouldn't you ask before you order one?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But I would have looked at this, with better bits. And you can talk to the guys.
    http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-1a.html
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Owned an early version of the crush.. sold it in 6 months flat.. I hated it with a passion...
  • Cyph3rs
    cooldad wrote:
    Shouldn't you ask before you order one?

Well I can cancel the order/return it :)

Also the order has to be made from Tredz!
  • Thewaylander
    Truth is all bikes fit different people in different ways, and we all like different things. all you can do is try a bike and see if it fits, and rides like you want.

I wanted an orange back in the 90's got one in the mid 00's and was bitterly disappointed with how it rode fit the rest. but many people love them.
  • Cyph3rs
    Truth is all bikes fit different people in different ways, and we all like different things. all you can do is try a bike and see if it fits, and rides like you want.

I wanted an orange back in the 90's got one in the mid 00's and was bitterly disappointed with how it rode fit the rest. but many people love them.

Ah yeah that's true. My main concern is I don't know ALL that much about bikes, so was worrying if the orange was terribly specced.
  • Thewaylander
    Generally they are terribly value in terms of pure spec. But people pay the premium for the British brand name.. also the hand built in Halifax (which I believe correct me if wrong is one of the ones made in the east for them?).

I personally don't get it, though many like them for these reasons.
  • Cyph3rs
    Generally they are terribly value in terms of pure spec. But people pay the premium for the British brand name.. also the hand built in Halifax (which I believe correct me if wrong is one of the ones made in the east for them?).

Honestly, I'm not too fussed about the name, I've never heard of Orange before (or 95% of bike brands to be honest) so that wasn't my concern.

If the parts are poor maybe I should re-consider?
  • Thewaylander
    I guess it depends what else is available through treadz in your price range?

Assume since you can only buy through one shop its cycle to work bike?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Owned an early version of the crush.. sold it in 6 months flat.. I hated it with a passion...

Other opinions are available.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Thewaylander
    I think the general jist of different things suit different people is fact not an opinion.

It's also a fact I've not enjoyed oranges though others might enjoy them.

And its also a fact with a lot of other manufacturers you will get a lot more spec for you're £ if you think the orange name is worth the extra that's up to the buyer.
  • Angus Young
    Cyph3rs wrote:

Don't let one guy with a bee in his bonnet about Orange put you off. There's a lot of them out on the trails and loads of people who absolutely love 'em. Orange are just one of those companies that people take against for no good reason, kind of like Apple, and feel the need to pop up in any thread where they're mentioned and tell anyone who'll listed how awful it all is.

There's a few owners here on this forum who absolutely love their Oranges. And often not for the silly demeaning reasons noted above.
  • Cyph3rs
    I think the general jist of different things suit different people is fact not an opinion.

It's also a fact I've not enjoyed oranges though others might enjoy them.

And its also a fact with a lot of other manufacturers you will get a lot more spec for you're £ if you think the orange name is worth the extra that's up to the buyer.

Well as I said, the Orange name is worthless to me, I hadn't even heard of them before yesterday when I saw reviews on Bikeradar ect who rated the 2015 Crush highly. I don't care for brands.

Cyph3rs wrote:

Don't let one guy with a bee in his bonnet about Orange put you off. There's a lot of them out on the trails and loads of people who absolutely love 'em. Orange are just one of those companies that people take against for no good reason, kind of like Apple, and feel the need to pop up in any thread where they're mentioned and tell anyone who'll listed how awful it all is.

There's a few owners here on this forum who absolutely love their Oranges. And often not for the silly demeaning reasons note above.

Thanks for the input! I am starting to feel like I've made a bad decision.
    On the bike all I want is a good spec, good quality bike that I can have fun on the trails with.

If the Orange Crush AM is poorly specced, and poor quality, then I need to re-consider my purchase!
  • Angus Young
    Cyph3rs wrote:
    On the bike all I want is a good spec, good quality bike that I can have fun on the trails with.

If the Orange Crush AM is poorly specced, and poor quality, then I need to re-consider my purchase!

Go seek out other opinions before you go one way or the other. The one you're getting here is very much just one side of the story. If you look you'll find plenty of people who know their onions who wouldn't ride anything else.
  • Cyph3rs
    Cyph3rs wrote:

Go seek out other opinions before you go one way or the other. The one you're getting here is very much just one side of the story. If you look you'll find plenty of people who know their onions who wouldn't ride anything else.

Yeah like you say I'm getting both sides of it. Some people are slating on it heavily, mostly the brand however at the same time its very well reviewed. So I dont really know what to think! May just forget about it and make up my own mind when I get it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's nothing wrong with the quality of the Crush but you do get a poor spec compared to similar priced bikes from some other manufacturers.
    You are paying for the made in Halifax badge on a frame which is made in Taiwan.
  • Cyph3rs
    There's nothing wrong with the quality of the Crush but you do get a poor spec compared to similar priced bikes from some other manufacturers.
    You are paying for the made in Halifax badge on a frame which is made in Taiwan.

Oh right, is there anything on the Tredz website then which is £1300 or less with better quality parts also suited for aggressive trail riding?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Cyph3rs wrote:

Go seek out other opinions before you go one way or the other.He has, that's why this thread is here. The one you're getting here is very much just one side of the story. That's what happens when you ask for opinions, people give them. If you look you'll find plenty of people who know their onions who wouldn't ride anything else. So you're suggesting that he just keeps searching and searching for these people in order to find one that justifies his decision, as opposed to listening to the (hopefully unbiased but sound) experiences and opinions of those who have been bothered to ask.

The fact is that they are ok frames that, when packaged up, offer very poor value for money against the competition.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Angus Young
    Go seek out other opinions before you go one way or the other.He has, that's why this thread is here. The one you're getting here is very much just one side of the story. That's what happens when you ask for opinions, people give them. If you look you'll find plenty of people who know their onions who wouldn't ride anything else. So you're suggesting that he just keeps searching and searching for these people in order to find one that justifies his decision, as opposed to listening to the (hopefully unbiased but sound) experiences and opinions of those who have been bothered to ask.

No, don't be silly. What I'm clearly saying is, someone who, by their own admission, knows little about bikes should probably cast his net a little wider for opinion so that they find both sides of the story (and there a definitely 2 sides to this story) before letting one rather extreme view sway him one way or the other.
  • Cyph3rs
    Okay this may seem slightly backwards but here I go...

I've been urming and arring over different bikes for ages now, trying to learn what I can and my budget went from 450, to 800 now to 1,300.

Obviously the Orange brand is quite, dare I say, controversial. So let me re-phrase this whole topic another way.

I understand now that the Orange Crush AM may be poor value for money. If someone can show me on the Tredz website (http://www.tredz.co.uk/) a bike that is equally suited for aggressive trail riding below £1,300 I'll definitely re-consider.

However, if this value between the poor-value Orange Crush to a good-value bike of another brand is only £100-£200, to be honest I'm not overly fussed.

My main concerns are these:

1. Is the Orange Crush AM frame bad or poor quality?
    2. Are any of the parts on the bike bad or poor quality?

So basically, as long as the bike is good quality, none of the parts are explicitly bad and it isn't over-priced by more than £200. I'm happy.

I just want something to ride, I liked the look of the Orange, and it had good reviews! So if anyone could objectively answer my concerns (as I dont know bike parts very well) that would be hugely appreciated!
  • brooksie50
    brooksie50 Posts: 22
    Pardon me if I seem rude, but if you know nothing about bikes, why not half your budget and see if you like riding trails, some great bikes out there for £600.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Crush isn't controversial, its a Taiwan made bike with a UK brand identity sold in the UK, like thousands of others, it is the five family that is a bit marmite.

The Crush's frame is made by the second largest frame manufacturer in the world (Merida) as I understand it, it's good but not 'brilliant'.

Parts are all decent quality, but similar can be had for less money.

Personally I'd suggest buying a decent second hand bike and seeing what you do and don't like about the sport before splurging £1300 (ish).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I have got an Orange P7 Pro which is effectively the Crush in steel with a slightly better spec. Had it for 5000 miles and love it. The geometry and fit for me - size 17 inch frame and me at 5 ft 10 - on 26 inch wheels it perfect. I am a big fan of this bike and don't think you should be concerned about buying it. If you had asked the same question with a different bike / brand in mind then you would have got the same sort of replies. Enjoy it - it is you that will ride hard - the bike won't do it for you!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • PedroX64
    PedroX64 Posts: 17
    Have you read the Bikeradar review? http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-orange-crush-am-15-49230/

The bike's great fun, it's bright green and it's an Orange - what's not to like? The pedals - replace them.
  • Cyph3rs
    edited June 2015
    The money isn't too much of an issue, I mean £1,300 is the top end of what I wanted to spend but still, I've ridden bike trails before and enjoyed it greatly I've just never had a bike of my own.

Thanks for the input FishFish, I think you're right!

Also, PedroX64 I have seen the Bikeradar review (as well as reviews from a few other magazines) they've all reviewed it very favorably. Plus I really like the look and style of the bike and obviously in the future if I feel the need I can upgrade the groupset/brakes what have you!

Also yes I bought DMR V8 pedals to go with it as I've heard they're good pedals?
  • cooldad
    I would get the bike you like. The bike will feel the love and is less likely to try and kill you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cyph3rs
    Tredz have told me that theyre aren't expecting to get the bike til next month! Can someone help me find a decent alternative on Tredz at the same sort of price range? £1000-£1400
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Why Tredz?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cyph3rs
    Why Tredz?

I did the finance with a deposit on Tredz. Don't want to have another credit search against me by cancelling the order and finance and going somewhere else.

Also Tredz said if i chose a more expensive bike to replace the Orange on the order, they could discount it down.

Or I can keep the Orange and ask them to throw in some extra goodies.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Id probably stick with the Orange. Its the best from Tredz' collection I would say. You'll wait a month to get a few years service.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.