Heart rate for a long ride

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
I've just got a cycling computer where I can see what my heart rate is, I've actually had a HRM for ages just it was recording to my phone in my back pocket.

So I'm wondering what to do with the numbers!

On training for the likes of time trials it's pretty easy just trying to keep my heart rate above a certain level, perhaps something like 90% MHR

But I've got a couple of rides I would like to do with are c.125 miles, which is much longer than my more usual rides of about 50-60 miles.

So can I use the monitor to help me with that, e.g. trying to keep my HR below 75% or so?

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Do you mean on the actual event or training for it?

On the Event:

Yes - definitely, you can use it check your pace, if you steam ahead in the first 20 or 30 with a high avg HR you know how that is going to affect you later on and you can make adjustments to your pace.

for training:

It depends, IME once you have trained for big endurance rides, you tend not to train for them using big mile sessions. You tend to keep topped up, using more focused shorter rides, with different objectives. But you can still do set courses and try to go as fast as you can with say an avg of zone 2 or 3 for example.
  • markhewitt1978
    diy wrote:
    Do you mean on the actual event or training for it?

Mostly on the event itself - It's not really an event as such, it's just me riding my bike.

Yes - definitely, you can use it check your pace, if you steam ahead in the first 20 or 30 with a high avg HR you know how that is going to affect you later on and you can make adjustments to your pace.
    It depends, IME once you have trained for big endurance rides, you tend not to train for them using big mile sessions. You tend to keep topped up, using more focused shorter rides, with different objectives. But you can still do set courses and try to go as fast as you can with say an avg of zone 2 or 3 for example.

Cheers, 50 miles most Sundays is what I'm going to be sticking to - just for time reasons, but I want to be able to do 100+ when I fancy too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I use mine to make sure I don't overdo it in the first half of a long day ride. Makes me take the hills a bit slower, which benefits me later on
  • markhewitt1978
    keef66 wrote:
    I use mine to make sure I don't overdo it in the first half of a long day ride. Makes me take the hills a bit slower, which benefits me later on

What sort of numbers do you keep it to?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm dangerously close to being 58, and my max HR on the bike is now 165 (oddly close to the 220-age thing).

So I try not to go over 140 ish if I'm planning to be out all day.