Weather !!

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited June 2015 in Road general
There was me looking forward to some great summer evenings, and all we seem to have had recently is either wet & cold or bl@@dy gale force winds !
Was planning a ride tonight, but 40mph+ gusts isnt seeming that attractive.......

What do you all do in wet/windy conditions, - sack it off or suck it up and cycle anyway ?

Maybe I need to man up ?! ;-)

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I went out for my usual 18 mile loop last night. Togged up expecting a soaking but it stayed dry. Excellent test of the breathability of Goretex! Splendid training cycling into that headwind, and a glorious tailwind on the homeward leg. Can't beat it!
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I took my old winter bike for a ride to day, I am still wearing leg and arm warmers:(
  • zak3737
    Don't get me wrong, it's not the toughness of a headwind that worries me, as there's always the back wind to look forward to, - more the risks of sudden cross gusts etc !
    Surely not good.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Likewise. On the winter bike today, Roubaix shorts, arm warmers. June 2nd at 09:00. Bah. Nobody wanted to do an early Regents because of the wind. Double bah.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    wind seems to have died down a bit here now.

It seems to have been really windy all year. get the odd calmer day but more often than not at least 25mph gust and usually more than that! it's doing my head in now!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    It looks to have died a bit here, just in time to go home with the following wind. Shame it is not as strong as this morning, I would be flying home in record time!! The winds round here seem to mostly go against me going to work in the morning when tired and not up for the ride then with me when I am firing on all cylinders on the way home.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    65 mph last night after work, way too dangerous to ride a bike!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,292
    Moaner...

it's been a drier than usual spring so far... April almost arid... now we've had a few days of wind and rain and suddenly it's all over... c'mon...
    left the forum March 2023
  • zak3737
    Moaner...

it's been a drier than usual spring so far... April almost arid... now we've had a few days of wind and rain and suddenly it's all over... c'mon...

I think you'll find my post mentioned 'summer' nights, nothing about April at all, or indeed Spring in general, which I know has been pretty good.
    That doesnt alter the fact that the last couple of weeks have been either very wet/cold, or windy.....as per my post above.

Just curious whether others suck it up and ride, or like me, wait for better evenings.....thas'all.

Thx for your imput.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,292
    Zak3737 wrote:
    Moaner...

I think you'll find my post mentioned 'summer' nights, nothing about April at all, or indeed Spring in general, which I know has been pretty good.
    That doesnt alter the fact that the last couple of weeks have been either very wet/cold, or windy.....as per my post above.

Just curious whether others suck it up and ride, or like me, wait for better evenings.....thas'all.

Thx for your imput.

Depends how bad it is... and maybe where you live is worse than here... to be honest, today's strong wind aside, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary over the past two weeks... the only met office weather warning was for wind today. It's been OK... maybe slightly cooler than you would expect, but only by 2-3 degrees...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Zak3737 wrote:
    Moaner...

Thx for your imput.

Summer solstice is usually 21st June so 3 weeks away yet.

Have you considered another hobby, like knitting or bridge or something?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    It's going to be 31 degC and brilliant sunshine on Thursday. I''m off to ride in the mountains.

Just saying.
  • What tailwind? I cycled 17 miles to work Sunday into that headwind, only to cycle home in the opposite direction into the same ruddy headwind.

I'm a bit confused right now - is it September, or is it October? It's light enough to still be September, but wet & windy enough to be October. I fondly remember the summer that we had back in March, though.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Im waiting for the weather to pick up again, just fed up of the headwinds on every ride it seems at the moment.

Cold and drizzly, albeit hold on its June, I can cope with as its just like cycling in early spring, but I felt like my legs were made of lead after battling against last weeks headwinds.

it was supposed to be 30+ C this week, not 30+ mph winds
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457

Summer solstice is usually 21st June so 3 weeks away yet.

Have you considered another hobby, like knitting or bridge or something?

So it is everyone that you're rude to...

I'm with Ugo, apart from the wind it's been okay. My arms got burnt to a crisp on Saturday so it can't be that bad.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    robbo2011 wrote:
    It's going to be 31 degC and brilliant sunshine on Thursday. I''m off to ride in the mountains.

Just saying.

Luxury :D

I like cool days too! :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 713
    30 mile TT for me this evening. Interesting handling on the aero bars!!
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Zak3737 wrote:
    There was me looking forward to some great summer evenings, and all we seem to have had recently is either wet & cold or bl@@dy gale force winds !
    Was planning a ride tonight, but 40mph+ gusts isnt seeming that attractive.......

What do you all do in wet/windy conditions, - sack it off or suck it up and cycle anyway ?

This sort of weather puts hairs on your chest.

Seriously, I'll go out in any weather, apart from very strong gusty wind. I once got blown across the road by a sudden gust and if a car had been coming the other way I wouldn't be sat here writing this.

better to live and fight another day
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Zak3737 wrote:
    Moaner...

Thx for your imput.

Depends how bad it is... and maybe where you live is worse than here... to be honest, today's strong wind aside, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary over the past two weeks... the only met office weather warning was for wind today. It's been OK... maybe slightly cooler than you would expect, but only by 2-3 degrees...

2-3 degrees cooler than you'd expect for May/June? :lol: I'm a postie and by now normally would be in T shirt almost every day from the end of April/May onwards - it's been so much colder than normal I've worn a jacket the vast majority of the time since the beginning of May. And I don't feel the cold much at all!

And the wind.....it's just never stopped.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    There's a high moving in from tmrw. It's going to get warmer but winds will be a bit iffy until it properly settles around about Sunday.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,488
    The forecast today was for light winds early am and picking up during the day which meant I planned and early ride. Out at 6.06am and back for 7.45am. I made it 2/3 round my loop before the heavens opened but I prefer rain to strong winds :wink:

Sunday was both very wet and windy but its great for building strength in your legs. :twisted:

I'm losing weight and building up a base so thats the reason I'm out but it was glorious early morning.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • zak3737
    PTestTeam wrote:
    Zak3737 wrote:

This sort of weather puts hairs on your chest.

Seriously, I'll go out in any weather, apart from very strong gusty wind. I once got blown across the road by a sudden gust and if a car had been coming the other way I wouldn't be sat here writing this.

better to live and fight another day

Precisely

The gusts here in East Yorks over the last 2 days have been brutal,
    and less than appealing to cycle in !
  • zak3737
    Slowmart wrote:
    The forecast today was for light winds early am and picking up during the day which meant I planned and early ride. Out at 6.06am and back for 7.45am. I made it 2/3 round my loop before the heavens opened but I prefer rain to strong winds :wink:

Sunday was both very wet and windy but its great for building strength in your legs. :twisted:

I'm losing weight and building up a base so thats the reason I'm out but it was glorious early morning.

Yeh I appreciate early mornings are very often the calmest time of day, but it's a problematic time of day for me unfortunately, - wife leaves for work early, and the hound needs his walk....
    Plus - before 8am ain't my best time of day ;-)
  • Chat noir
    Chat noir Posts: 8
    I'm with those who say the weather was hard for cycling in May. Did an 18 day double end to end starting 6 May and finishing 23 May. Was only wet on 2 of those days but the wind ... only one half day saw no wind. Every day had some wind, sometimes strong, sometimes ridiculously so (100 miles due south into strong wind, sometimes up to 45 mph going the other way) but, obviously, sometimes in my favour. I felt cool every day and sometimes cold, and I don't normally feel the cold - skull cap and leg warmers essential (only took these as afterthought). The cold / wind was the main topic of conversation with other riders doing ETE. May is a popular month for this type of ride but unfortunately this year the weather made it bit harder and colder. But, yes, it did 'benefit' my legs, although they were hurting too much from the first week's efforts for me to notice much and people reading my blog thought I was going on too much about the wind!

Had two long distance Australian riders stop the other night (we offer accommodation with Warmshowers) and they were struck by the wind and the cold in the UK. Yesterday it finally got warm, the sun is out, the wind is warm, and I'm sitting in the garden - there are benefits to being retired.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Having missed the two-day April summer due to being in Florida at the time (admittedly I don't expect much sympathy for that one!), my overriding impression of the weather so far this year is that it's been dry and extremely windy. I'm in need of miles but stayed in on Tuesday because 45mph gusts aren't for me. Today I've ridden to work into a gentle headwind and it's now swung round and picked up so I'll have to slog home too. Still, 80 miles against the wind should toughen me up. :)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Sat indoors and my cycling addiction is making me twitchy and its ruining my plan and goal for the week. As the forecast says 29mph winds gusting 43 ! Tomorrow it's forecast showers then the best weather's when Wiggos 1-hour record attempt is on TV. There is no God.

Why the constant wind?

I'm off to read the 50 page conspiracy-theory thread to find out.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,326
    ben@31 wrote:
    Why the constant wind?

You'll never emerge alive - THEY are out to get you.

Re the OP - it was the fifth cold grey windy summer in a row of 2012 that made me buy a house ... in south east France. Seemed like a reasonable and proportionate action to me.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    ben@31 wrote:
    Why the constant wind?

No doubt the hot topic for the "world leaders" at the G8 minus Russia conference is how they can ruin my Strava challenge for this month by influencing the weather / climate change.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,326
    ben@31 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    Why the constant wind?

No doubt the hot topic for the "world leaders" at the G8 minus Russia conference is how they can ruin my Strava challenge for this month by influencing the weather / climate change.
    I reckon they're already on the case with all this wind ... not dropping below double figures down here all week. I've forgotten what a calm day feels like.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Meanwhile, in Scotland...
    18576752715_d556205517_c.jpg
    (this was last wednesday, i.e. 3rd June)