Staggering Road Rage

2»

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    A little bit of shouting and silliness can be ignored - but it gets scary when there is orchestrated campaigns to inconvenience and injury cyclists just for being cyclists. Two stories I read today illustrate the level of antipathy towards cyclists in certain parts of the community

http://road.cc/content/news/153384-camb ... -saboteurs
    Not so dangerous but annoying .

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/an ... ly-5803311
    Unbelievably dangerous - and a serious criminal act with a specific malice (not the foolhardiness the police seem to think)
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Veronese68 wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Something irrelevant to my personal bias.
    With your user name I'm very disappointed when you mention a minor altercation that it doesn't degenerate into a similar standard of slanging match.

I'm zen now... you %&*$.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    SecretSam wrote:
    There's loads of those "cycle lanes" round here (Aylesbury). The Council got a pile of cash to make the town a "cycling city", put up a few signs and painted lines on the pavement and off you go. Pocketed the rest of the cash. So we now have cycle lanes aimed at kids that cross busy junctions and every side road there is, forcing any users to stop constantly and give way to everyone. Frankly, a joke. Self-defeating as well - most riders use the road.

I'm so looking forward to getting a load of abuse each morning and evening now that Surrey CC have widened the footpaths through Walton to accommodate shared usage cycle paths on both sides of the road. There are roughly 1.2 billion junctions between the start of the paths and the high street where I turn off so there is no chance of me using it.

Traffic used to be able to flow freely and overtake, but not any more.

Every cycling group said it was a daft idea, especially as the route is from the bridge to the sports centre on the river and yet the completely ignored the option of using the Thames Path, which is well used by cyclist already.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Neither party handled that well

As for close passing I'd be delighted if that's as close as it got, I take the right pannier off if its foggy or dark winter nights, I've had vans rubbing along side.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    Neither party handled that well

As for close passing I'd be delighted if that's as close as it got, I take the right pannier off if its foggy or dark winter nights, I've had vans rubbing along side.

Chap hit the cyclist with his wing mirror. How close do you want them to get.

I watched and wondered just how long I would have lasted before decking the guy.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    So that's never happened to you? Everyday?

I'm not condoning it of course but a calm approach is far more effective IMO
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    itboffin wrote:
    So that's never happened to you? Everyday?

I'm not condoning it of course but a calm approach is far more effective IMO

Touch wood, but I've never been clipped by a wing mirror.

There have been passes that felt close and resulted in the odd swear word but no actual contact.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX