PlanetX poor customer service.

anjasola
anjasola Posts: 145
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I have been a long time customer of PlanetX and never had any problems until recently, now I find them like dealing with a delinquent teenager. Am I just unlucky ?

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Probably just unlucky, I've never really had much issue with them in many dealings, had a couple of problems with some of their products and they've always been very good about it. Admittedly they've sometimes been a bit slow at communicating stuff but never really bothered me that much.
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    I've had no real issues with their customer service/delivery to be honest and that's over several years using them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Worm That Turned or what lol.

So you have been served well, taken all the bargains, and now publicly abusing them with that sh1tty thread title because you have had 'unmentioned' poor service that falls below your high expectations.

I would question exactly who it is that is not acting like a responsible adult lol
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Carbonator wrote:

So you have been served well, taken all the bargains, and now publicly abusing them with that sh1tty thread title because you have had 'unmentioned' poor service that falls below your high expectations.

I would question exactly who it is that is not acting like a responsible adult lol

Am I missing something or just unable to see where this is mentioned by OP?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I have had a couple of wrong items sent over the years which is a pain to sort out, but overall for a bargain retailer I wouldn't complain.
  • Anonymous
    indyP wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Am I missing something or just unable to see where this is mentioned by OP?

100% correct, he never mentioned it, but am I missing something or is that not why everyone shops there in the first place? So therefore its a given??
    Post above this one calls them a 'bargain retailer' 8)

Whats your point in picking out that one section anyway?
    Guess you agree with everything else I said and the general gist of the post minus my embellishment?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Negative, haters - they are great for bargains but their customer service is appalling. Shocking. Recalcitrant teenager is an understatement. ISIS have better customer service.

See posts passim for further details, but yup, they are really bad - emails not answered, answers to basic questions not known, Yana yada yada.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    I've only ever had good customer service from them, especially when I bought the wrong size jersey. The emails even included some amusing photos of Ian Cammish eating cake.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've only used Planet-X once but it's been a fiasco and I'm not sure I'd use them again.
    Problems do come up but the response should be better than I've experienced.
    I ordered a set of brakes (last December I think) which were reported as shipped but never arrived. I got in touch with Planet-X who said the package had arrived back to them as undelivered and they asked me to confirm my address, which I did. They told me the package was re-sent. It still didn't arrive. After further e-mails and if memory serves a few weeks delay, they told me the package had been classified as lost in the mail and they were unable to send me another set of brakes as they were now out of stock. They asked if I wanted another product or a refund. I responded with a query about another product as a possible substitute. I got no response. I forgot about it for a couple of months and then realised I'd never got a refund. I've now e-mailed them several times over the past month or so asking for a refund and I have gotten no reply and no refund. They're still hanging onto about €80 of my money.
    I must phone them today!
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    By contrast, I ordered a few tools from them recently. The package fell open in transit and something had fallen out. I emailed them, received a reply within 24 hours, and a new package with a replacement item arrived the following day.

BTW, I'm not on commission or anything. Just wanted to offer examples of good service.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I guess that with the volume of goods they ship there will always a few errors.

I recently ordered a brake caliper and was given a Yodel tracking number which didn't work. On contacting Planet X, I was told that it was sent by Royal Mail, not Yodel, but it never arrived. I asked why, but got no reason for the change of shipper, but had to wait 15 working days before it was deemed to be lost. To be fair, they refunded me once the period had expired, but lost the sale as I ordered from elsewhere in the meantime.
  • ai_1
    DaveM399 wrote:
    I guess that with the volume of goods they ship there will always a few errors.

I recently ordered a brake caliper and was given a Yodel tracking number which didn't work. On contacting Planet X, I was told that it was sent by Royal Mail, not Yodel, but it never arrived. I asked why, but got no reason for the change of shipper, but had to wait 15 working days before it was deemed to be lost. To be fair, they refunded me once the period had expired, but lost the sale as I ordered from elsewhere in the meantime.
    A few errors is not where I take issue. I agree, these will happen from time to time. The problem in my case is a continuing failure to respond to e-mails and get the issue resolved.
  • Anonymous
    I bought something, opened it, realised it was the wrong one (headset). Packaged it back up, returned it and got a refund with no quibbles.

Never had a cause to complain with p-x
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Did you order at a busy time by any chance? One thing I get the impression PlanetX don't have any spare capacity to cope with big increases in volume, even those predictable ones like early spring when the first good weather hits.

I bought my bike in one of those rushes and the website had a few issues over missing items needed for the build. Items that you customize such as crank, stem and bar length/width. I did that on the website online ordering but it just deleted some of these items. Plus one thing was not shown to be available despite the customer service guy I spoke to told me was in stock. So I called them up and in 10 minutes time it was sorted and another 5 minutes later I got a new order confirmation with the corrections.

That email had increased the price above the listed price so I called back and got that sorted in another 10 minutes. I also confirmed the build time and he apologized that it so long (about 10 days IIRC to the build date) but that was because of a big increase in volume of sales and bike builds. Time of the year and all that. At least he was honest about it.

Anyway on the build day, in the afternoon, I called to ask if the build was going ahead to be told it was done and the bike had been collected. Sure enough I got an email with the yodel number half an hour after that call.

The next day I got my bike delivered next door which was good because I had expected it the day after when someone was going to be in. I got an email from PlanetX saying it had been delivered next door and the next day it showed up on the Yodel tracking site as being delivered when it was. Basically somehow PlanetX told me it had been delivered about 12 hours before yodel had updated their tracking!!

All in all I have nothing but good impressions about their service and it has put my fears about ordering online bikes to rest. I would without a doubt order a Planet X bike again and indeed am considering what else I an buy from them.

Please note I have no link at all with Planet X, I only want to give my experiences since there are a lot on here who have given their negative experiences. Afterall they say that people are more likely to complain about poor service than praise good service. I would not expect Planet X to survive as long and as successfully as it has if the bad service examples were the norm so perhaps more people like me need to give their experience of good service to give a fairer impression of the company.

Just my view, your's may vary.
  • ai_1
    coriordan wrote:
    I bought something, opened it, realised it was the wrong one (headset). Packaged it back up, returned it and got a refund with no quibbles.

Never had a cause to complain with p-x
    That's been my experience with most other vendors who've made errors.
    Unfortunately it hasn't been so straight forward this time.
  • ai_1
    Did you order at a busy time by any chance? One thing I get the impression PlanetX don't have any spare capacity to cope with big increases in volume, even those predictable ones like early spring when the first good weather hits.

I bought my bike in one of those rushes and the website had a few issues over missing items needed for the build. Items that you customize such as crank, stem and bar length/width. I did that on the website online ordering but it just deleted some of these items. Plus one thing was not shown to be available despite the customer service guy I spoke to told me was in stock. So I called them up and in 10 minutes time it was sorted and another 5 minutes later I got a new order confirmation with the corrections.

That email had increased the price above the listed price so I called back and got that sorted in another 10 minutes. I also confirmed the build time and he apologized that it so long (about 10 days IIRC to the build date) but that was because of a big increase in volume of sales and bike builds. Time of the year and all that. At least he was honest about it.

Anyway on the build day, in the afternoon, I called to ask if the build was going ahead to be told it was done and the bike had been collected. Sure enough I got an email with the yodel number half an hour after that call.

The next day I got my bike delivered next door which was good because I had expected it the day after when someone was going to be in. I got an email from PlanetX saying it had been delivered next door and the next day it showed up on the Yodel tracking site as being delivered when it was. Basically somehow PlanetX told me it had been delivered about 12 hours before yodel had updated their tracking!!

All in all I have nothing but good impressions about their service and it has put my fears about ordering online bikes to rest. I would without a doubt order a Planet X bike again and indeed am considering what else I an buy from them.

Please note I have no link at all with Planet X, I only want to give my experiences since there are a lot on here who have given their negative experiences. Afterall they say that people are more likely to complain about poor service than praise good service. I would not expect Planet X to survive as long and as successfully as it has if the bad service examples were the norm so perhaps more people like me need to give their experience of good service to give a fairer impression of the company.

Just my view, your's may vary.
    Yes, but good service should be the norm. My communicating a bad experience is not meant as a contradiction of those who've had good experiences. There's nothing wrong with giving your more positive experience but I don't think it's necessary to solicit positive experience stories to balance the thread either!
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    You either love or loath PX. It took 7 weeks for a bike to arrive via cycle scheme but they happily took it back when I realised it was a bag of shite.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Some orders are great,come quickly and cheap, BlueSeventy wetsuit, bits and bats, gels brilliant. Other orders they've been useless. To be fair last time they chucked in a free wheel bag after wheels were about three weeks late.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I've always found the service excellent.
    I had some tyres fail to arrive two years ago and they sorted it out pretty quickly.
    I had the wrong parts sent this spring and they went out of their way to fix the problem and sent me box of torq energy drink powders as apologies.

TBH, if I was in the customer service business I would file miserable moaners to the bottom of the action list.
  • ai_1
    I've always found the service excellent.
    I had some tyres fail to arrive two years ago and they sorted it out pretty quickly.
    I had the wrong parts sent this spring and they went out of their way to fix the problem and sent me box of torq energy drink powders as apologies.

TBH, if I was in the customer service business I would file miserable moaners to the bottom of the action list.
    Who are these miserable moaners? A customer complaint does not constitute miserable moaning.
    My correspondence with planet X has peen perfectly civil, concise and professional. They should have no reason to be upset by me.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Had 3 frames from them over the years, and plenty of other stuff including clothes and accessories. Always been great to deal with and have cleared up any problems with little hassle. But I don't start a thread to tell everyone that.

People only ever pass on bad news hence threads like this. Granted it seems they have the odd issue and maybe not everyone on the end of the phone is a "bike person" but like I say, they have always been fine with me and I will continue to use them.
  • Adamgt
    Adamgt Posts: 114
    The OP must have been seriously bored to create this thread. What purpose has it served? He's not even replied to say what the problem was. I've had great service from px this last couple of weeks and I really made them work for it too. Next time it might be a different story but I'll try to refrain from boring you with no details :mrgreen:
    Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er
    Planet X London Road
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
  • ai_1
    in other words the pope shits in the woods
    I doubt it. Is he known for spending time in the woods?
  • No problems, love Planet X and have had really good customer service. I bought a set of Gilles Berthoud stainless mudguards for my steel bike, when they arrived it was clear whoever picked the mounting components didn't have a clue - bits were missing and I had way over on other parts. To be fair they are typically French in the idiosyncratic way they are mounted and the only way I knew what was needed was by going onto a US retailers website who had helpfully provided a video of how to fit them (that's how unintuitive they are)
    Anyway I contacted them and it became clear that they didn't have the bits needed so they offered to take them back (I really wanted to keep them) or offered me a credit so I could buy the bits I needed from another retailer, which I accepted. That's good service in my book.
  • Have had a bad experience with Planet X and wondered if anyone can help as to where to go/what to do next.

In brief I bought a new bike from them however after riding it to a short Sportive realised the whole shifter mech had been snapped possibly in transit. I phoned and they said to send back as long as I boxed it up in a cardboard bike box which I had to source from a bike shop.

So it now seems that on returning it, annoyingly the bike frame has now been scratched by the wheel! They are going to replace the broken parts of the bike and send back but on the now damaged frame.

I've asked for a refund, but they're saying they can't as bike has been ridden. They also won't send back a new replacement bike. Any ideas what I can do as I'm now going to be left with a repaired damaged bike for the same price as brand new one. Very frustrating, do I have any recourse?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Have had a bad experience with Planet X and wondered if anyone can help as to where to go/what to do next.

In brief I bought a new bike from them however after riding it to a short Sportive realised the whole shifter mech had been snapped possibly in transit. I phoned and they said to send back as long as I boxed it up in a cardboard bike box which I had to source from a bike shop.

So it now seems that on returning it, annoyingly the bike frame has now been scratched by the wheel! They are going to replace the broken parts of the bike and send back but on the now damaged frame.

I've asked for a refund, but they're saying they can't as bike has been ridden. They also won't send back a new replacement bike. Any ideas what I can do as I'm now going to be left with a repaired damaged bike for the same price as brand new one. Very frustrating, do I have any recourse?

Ok, first, it would have been better to keep the original box. But there we are. Was the new box correctly sized? How did you package it? The wheel should be on the bike, ideally, not free to hit the frame.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    So, you broke the shifter mech, as you call it in transit, they offer to replace it, the frame is scratched during a transit that you packaged and you blame Planet X?

I have the feeling you are the one leaving on a planet X... I urge you to come back to planet Earth
    left the forum March 2023
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    If the frame was damaged in transit then the courier would be at fault, not Planet X so I'd see them as being correct.

I'm not sure how you would go about claiming off them though as it'd be a fairly tricky one to prove.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • So, you broke the shifter mech, as you call it in transit, they offer to replace it, the frame is scratched during a transit that you packaged and you blame Planet X?

I have the feeling you are the one leaving on a planet X... I urge you to come back to planet Earth

I didn't break the shifter it was broken when I recieved it although I only noticed after trying to use it a few times. I packaged up as best I could but I'm no expert. My annoyance is that I've only had to return it as it was broken and now I'm getting a bike back that is less than perfect which is what I expect to receive on buying something new.