Must haves, what's 'cool' what's not? Help needed. :)

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
So, been out of the game for a while now. I was in the era of DCD's, crud catchers, V brakes and RST forks! That'll give some of you an idea.

Think I must have got my bike when I was around 15, still have it now at 32! Going to be getting a new one all being well, Calibre 2.2 if I can get a good enough deal from someone I know that works at Go Outdoors.

I have some half decent riser bars I'll probably fit, wireless computer, decent enough lights, helmet, gloves, pump, all only a couple of years old.

But what are the 'must haves' these days? Biking is, in part, looking the part too, so what's cool, what should I avoid in my 30's? ;)

All advise welcome.

Thanks,

James.
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Trying to look cool is never cool.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jamski
    It is if you can pull it off! ;)

Thanks for the helpful post though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Team Sky lycra is very cool. So is a nice fanny pack.
    If you see anything with Enduro stamped or printed on it then buy it.
    Snowflake wheels are making a come back.
  • jamski
    Thanks, I'll take a look. See that's what I was after, I think this looks pretty cool. So think I'm along the right lines. :)

olympics_coverage_1.jpeg
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Whats "the now"?
    Accessories:
    - Padded liner under your shorts.
    - Non hard shell knee pads (they've come a long way)
    - Hydration pack (I like Osprey's offering)

On the bike:
    - Dropper seat post
    - Handlebar lockout
    - 2x or 1x gearing on the front
    - Bigger wheels
    - Tapered Headtubes
    - Axles (no more 5mm QR)
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • jamski
    Thanks very much Lance.

Not sure the bike is going to be very 'cool' then, but I like it. :)

Chain guides like the old DCDs? Seen a few pics of people with something similar, any ideas? And does everyone just get muddy these days? Mudguards have never done much for looks, but the old Crud Catchers used to be a must have. Modern equivalent?

I see the old DMR V8/12 are still around, so will probably pick up a pair of those. Other than that I think I'll just keep it simple.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    jamski wrote:
    I see the old DMR V8/12 are still around, so will probably pick up a pair of those. Other than that I think I'll just keep it simple.

They are although there are better about, such as shimano saints or the superstar/nuke proof offerings. Used V8s, then switched to superstar nanos, wider platform, thinner so less prone to rock strikes etc, better grip and incredibly easy to maintain.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    jamski wrote:
    Mudguards have never done much for looks, but the old Crud Catchers used to be a must have. Modern equivalent?

The new C.C seems to be mucky nuts face/butt fenders.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Lancew wrote:

On the bike:
    - Dropper seat post
    - Handlebar lockout
    - Bigger wheels
    - Tapered Headtubes
    - Axles (no more 5mm QR)

I have none of that - I must be phucking uncool.

Handlebar lockout?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Nothing is cool.

Just ride your new bike, see how you get on and then decide what you may need.

Handlebar lockout is pointless and just clutters up the bars. It is easy enough to reach down and turn the lockout knob on the fork.

A hydration pack is handy for carrying spare clothing and a few tools, tube, etc as well as fluid but it depends on how far, long and hard you are riding. For a half hour pootle along a canal a water bottle may be all you need.

Crud Catchers were and still are great but there are now several more modern alternatives - mucky nutz products and RRP Neoguard for example.

Decent pedals are a worthwhile investment, either flats or clipless and as mentioned above there are some very good examples available from Superstar and Shimano, amongst others.

Another thing to consider is the tyres on the new bike. At that price level manufacturers often fit pretty dire tyres and they can ruin your ride. Again, see how you get on and then decide if they need changing to something slicker/grippier/wider/narrower.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jamski
    JodyP wrote:
    jamski wrote:
    Mudguards have never done much for looks, but the old Crud Catchers used to be a must have. Modern equivalent?

The new C.C seems to be mucky nuts face/butt fenders.

Thanks, look nice and discreet, I'll add to the list. :)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Get a red ashtray and make sure you mount it on the left.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why fit riser bars? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but just fitting them isn't an upgrade, its just different.

For a .22, then I'd first and foremost look at fit for you, pedals, saddle, bars and grips, I have a butt fender and it gives a good improvement in protection, also look at getting the right tyres for your riding (style and location).

A decent damper means no real need for fork lockouts, they are still a nice to have for an XC orientated bike, but far from crucial.

Trying to look cool is never cool, being cool is what counts, and that usually means doing the right thing for you, your bike and your riding. Function over form is the new cool.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamski
    The Rookie wrote:
    Why fit riser bars? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but just fitting them isn't an upgrade, its just different.

For a .22, then I'd first and foremost look at fit for you, pedals, saddle, bars and grips, I have a butt fender and it gives a good improvement in protection, also look at getting the right tyres for your riding (style and location).

A decent damper means no real need for fork lockouts, they are still a nice to have for an XC orientated bike, but far from crucial.

Trying to look cool is never cool, being cool is what counts, and that usually means doing the right thing for you, your bike and your riding. Function over form is the new cool.

Always ridden with a riser bar, gives a more relaxed, slightly more upright feel. I have a slightly dodgy lower back, and it help with that.

Grips I already have, ODI lock ons which I like, and pedals are on the list. Most probably DMR V8's. It's a brand I know and they are good value.

Think most are kind of mis-interpreting my 'cool' statement, but have had some useful comments, so thanks. :)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Cool
    1X, 650b(pfft), bright colours, hatred of Fox, hatred of the front mech, black, wide rims, stems 50mm or shorter, bars 760mm or wider, dropper posts, softshell kneepads without shin protection.

Uncool
    Anything not mentioned above.
  • The Rookie
    Riser bars on one bike will put you in the same place as flats on another, depends on the original headtube length and any rise (spacers and stem rise) over that, so again, it's not something you should just fit blindly because you've 'always ridden with them', after all suspension forks lifted the front end about 100mm compared to the old Rigid's (like my two 1997 frames).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Things I wouldn't ride without - eyewear (I have some cheap clear glasses and a pair of tinted glasses), a helmet, flat shoes and good pedals (I personally have 510 shoes and a decent but cheap pair of Wellgo pedals - I had V8's cant recommend them), full finger gloves.

Things I mostly ride with - phone with strava (sad but I like it), a camelback with a basic tool kit, pump, spare tube, water and a jacket if conditions require it.

My own personal bike must haves these days - dropper post, tubeless, 1x gearing
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Gonna say v8's not good value.. terrible value and performance. just get some superstar nano, they are good value to performance.

as to what else is cool.. Bacon and standing around in the car park debating wheel size is definitely cool!
  • The Rookie
    Bacon and standing around in the car park debating wheel size is definitely cool!
    Well you got that half right......and its not the car park bit
  • jamski
    The Rookie wrote:
    Bacon and standing around in the car park debating wheel size is definitely cool!
    Well you got that half right......and its not the car park bit

That's good news, I do like bacon, in fact pig in most forms is pretty good!
  • Chunkers1980
    You'll like it round here then
  • jamski
    Gonna say v8's not good value.. terrible value and performance. just get some superstar nano, they are good value to performance.

as to what else is cool.. Bacon and standing around in the car park debating wheel size is definitely cool!

Hummmm, they do look good. :) See, this is what I need! I know nothing!

Where can I buy them though, their site says not in stock and can't seem to find anywhere else selling them.
  • The Rookie
    Erm, own brand product, so from them only.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Carbon cycles and nukeproof sell the same pedals (branded differently but same factory etc.) nukeproof are generally a little more expensive.
  • jamski
    Antm81 wrote:
    Carbon cycles and nukeproof sell the same pedals (branded differently but same factory etc.) nukeproof are generally a little more expensive.

Very similar price on crc, thanks very much. :)
  • JBA
    Pieminister pies at FoD cafe are bloody cool!

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Chunkers1980
    JBA wrote:

Yeah, pies are better hot.
  • JBA
    JBA wrote:

Yeah, pies are better hot.

Indeed they are. Still cool though. 8)

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lancew wrote:

On the bike:
    - Dropper seat post
    - Handlebar lockout
    - Bigger wheels
    - Tapered Headtubes
    - Axles (no more 5mm QR)

I have none of that - I must be phucking uncool.

Handlebar lockout?

Handlebar lockouts are not cool, necessary or even good. I have put three in the bin which came with various forks.
    Tapered head tubes are pretty much standard now.
    Bigger wheels are a matter of taste. The choice is now 27.5 or 29. Both have their advantages/disadvantages.
    35/36mm forks have recently got a lot lighter and are well worth having if you like riding hard.