14 days before long race... advice needed

jameswilson
jameswilson Posts: 14
So I've been training for the wales velothon on june 14th. 147km and 1800m climbing and things have been going well. Up until this last month I've been out 3 times a week hrd and feeling fresh. The last month work had taken over and unfortunately I've only been out twice a week for quick fairly flat 50km to 80km rides. I managed the midlands monster 112km 140km climb last week although was tough and managed 5hrs.
Went out today climbing the northumberland hills and really struggled... felt very down about it when I finished and now sat here wondering if I can pull it around in 14 days time... what do people suggest I should be doing the next 14 days to be finishing well come june 14th? Any advice taken as never done a long ride like this before (most is 137km in april).

James

Comments

• Are you riding the Pro Race or the Sportive?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    So I've been training for the wales velothon on june 14th. 147km and 1800m climbing and things have been going well. Up until this last month I've been out 3 times a week hrd and feeling fresh. The last month work had taken over and unfortunately I've only been out twice a week for quick fairly flat 50km to 80km rides. I managed the midlands monster 112km 140km climb last week although was tough and managed 5hrs.
    Went out today climbing the northumberland hills and really struggled... felt very down about it when I finished and now sat here wondering if I can pull it around in 14 days time... what do people suggest I should be doing the next 14 days to be finishing well come june 14th? Any advice taken as never done a long ride like this before (most is 137km in april).

James

You won't have anything to worry about. You will get round just fine. You rode nearly as far last week and got around, what's the worrying for?

You say you have never done a long ride like this before, but you've ridden 137 km last month. That's as near as damnit the same as 147km.

Don't worry about one off day. Just keep on pedalling, don't go crazy in the week before the event and you will get around just fine.

You could go ride that distance tomorrow if you needed to. You have nothing to be worried about.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Don't panic train.
    Make sure you and your bike are in best possible shape. Eat well, get good sleep, keep the legs turning and stretching without hammering them.
    Check brakes, chain, tyres etc on your bike, they are probably more likely to let you down than your body.
    Don't make any big, unnecessary, changes to your position on the bike.

I've always used a rule of thumb of if you have done 60% of the distance recently, the full distance will be manageable, as you'll know how your pacing was and will be able to either sustain it for an extra bit if you finished feeling fresh, or know you need to throttle back if you finished on the ragged edge.
  • jameswilson
    jameswilson Posts: 14
    Thanks for advice everyone!!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    You'll be fine. If you're not completely confident then just make sure you don't start too fast and don't allow yourself push too hard on the hills. The first sportive I ever did was 140km and I hadn't done more than 80km prior to that. Most people worry when they haven't done the distance before but it generally works out fine. Pushing too hard for the first half is really the main thing to worry about in my experience. That and remember to eat and drink. Don't wait until a food stop 3 hrs in (assuming there is one) and then stuff your face. Something small liker a cereal bar or banana every half hour or hour will leave you in much better shape.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    taon24 wrote:
    Don't panic train.
    Make sure you and your bike are in best possible shape. Eat well, get good sleep, keep the legs turning and stretching without hammering them.
    Check brakes, chain, tyres etc on your bike, they are probably more likely to let you down than your body.

I've always used a rule of thumb of if you have done 60% of the distance recently, the full distance will be manageable, as you'll know how your pacing was and will be able to either sustain it for an extra bit if you finished feeling fresh, or know you need to throttle back if you finished on the ragged edge.
    interesting rule of thumb there. If I was doing 140k i would want to have done more than 84k in the build up. I would be aiming to do 120k solo the weekend before the event then once taking into account having wheels to sit on it would sit you in good stead for the event. That said I have never done a sportive and that is what I would for for a race, but i often struggle in races once past 100k mark
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    taon24 wrote:
    Don't panic train.

interesting rule of thumb there. If I was doing 140k i would want to have done more than 84k in the build up. I would be aiming to do 120k solo the weekend before the event then once taking into account having wheels to sit on it would sit you in good stead for the event. That said I have never done a sportive and that is what I would for for a race, but i often struggle in races once past 100k mark

80% of race distance the weekend before seems a lot.
    I guess I think of 60% as the minimum for an 'epic' one off event. The sort you have trained and focussed for months for. Turning up having never got past halfway would leave me edgy that someone wasn't going to finish, while if someone had done 80% of the distance in the build up I would be sure enough they will comfortably finish. 60% (over similar terrain) would be where I would be just confident someone will finish.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    1. It's not a race.
    2. It's not really very far.
    3. It's too late...

On the day, take it easy on the flat because the signature climbs are hard, keep eating and drinking. The crowds, the closed roads and the good surfaces of many of the roads used make it much easier than 'normal' riding.

So assume you will do well.

Paul
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    I managed the midlands monster 112km 140km climb last week although was tough and managed 5hrs... Went out today climbing the northumberland hills and really struggled... felt very down about it when I finished and now sat here wondering if I can pull it around in 14 days time... James

You were probably still fatigued from the Midlands Monster when you went out climbing on the Northumberland hills, so I don't think you should be worrying about that. The important thing is to arrive at start of the Velothon as fit and fresh as you can. Lay off the long rides completely in the last 7 to 10 days, otherwise you'll just build up more fatigue. Instead, between now and the event, do a couple of fast rides of an hour or so and mix in a few 5 or 10 minute intervals where you really hammer it. Also do a couple of slow 90 minute rides, just to turn the legs over and condition your body. Do your final fast ride 5 or 6 days before the event.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.