Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He's resigned. End of an era?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    coriordan wrote:
    He's resigned. End of an era?

He was forced, 3 of the biggest sponsors of FiFa pulled the plug monday, he steps down tuesday.
    No coincidence.
    Living MY dream.
  • Anonymous
    Well that's good news anyway. Didn't get to read the full story but good to see sponsors taking some action.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Some minor officials and past officials will be sentenced in the U.S.

The gravy train will roll on unabated.

:evil:
    Glad to see that I was wrong. :P
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Who's to say your wrong ? It's just the blind man going.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    This won't change anyone's fate; the FBI/State Department won't be flushing one scrap of the work they've done to date, the quarry are far too close to give up the chase now :twisted:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    plowmar wrote:
    Who's to say your wrong ? It's just the blind man going.
    Fair point but at least there is a chance of reform now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    Who's going to play Slap Better in the film?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    It is a good day, but it will take a long time and effort to change things. Corruption is so eradicated that I don't see things getting any different in the near future...
    Difficult decisions too... what's going to happen to the next 2 world cups, which have been clearly bought out by the hosts?

Also, who has a high enough profile and immaculate CV to take over? Platini's reign at UEFA doesn't seem to me so immaculate, given how European clubs are allowed to breach the fair play rules without consequences.

Is Luis Figo going to stand now?

My hope is that this is the beginning of the end for the billions showered football and that it goes back to being more of a sport than a business, but let's see...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Who's going to play Slap Better in the film?

Already been made, Tim Roth. Although being a FIFA funded movie it was not an accurate portrayal. Surprise surprise!

BARRY1-blog427.jpg
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I see that Uefa were hardly united in their opposition to Blatter.... 10 Uefa associations voted for him - including France, Spain and Russia, and 3 abstained.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Anonymous
    Corruption is so eradicated
    Are you sure?
  • ugo.santalucia
    coriordan wrote:
    Are you sure?

You have to bear in mind FIFA is a worldwide organisation... if you use national governments as a measure of corruption, then you can guesstimate that half of the folks on the board will have taken or given bribes in exchange for something. You will realise the extent once the investigation digs deeper, but it is quite clear... how can someone who is involved in such a scandal be re-elected? Clearly a good number of members were at it.
    Britain is an exception in a world of corruption.... you even get flustered when politicians fiddle a few thousand quid of expenses... an offence that would be laughed at in most other countries
  • briantrumpet
    coriordan wrote:
    Are you sure?
    I think Mrs Malaprop is in the running to replace Slap Better.
  • Anonymous
    coriordan wrote:
    Are you sure?

You have to bear in mind FIFA is a worldwide organisation... if you use national governments as a measure of corruption, then you can guesstimate that half of the folks on the board will have taken or given bribes in exchange for something. You will realise the extent once the investigation digs deeper, but it is quite clear... how can someone who is involved in such a scandal be re-elected? Clearly a good number of members were at it.
    Britain is an exception in a world of corruption.... you even get flustered when politicians fiddle a few thousand quid of expenses... an offence that would be laughed at in most other countries

Do you know what eradicated means?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I think people are misinformed about FiFa.

The organisation allows gifts, in some walks of life this isn't allowed because it is seen as morally wrong so the fact that they allowed candidates and members to receive gifts means no wrong was done.
    As an organisation they are free to set their own rules.
    I "think" the problem arrises from countries trying to win the various events and then realising that they were never in with a shout from the start due to the race being fixed, this then becomes illegal as its deemed as a form of corruption.

Also, most people voted for SB because the system under his control gave them a lifestyle, would any of you vote against your boss who allowed you to take home massive bonuses from company profits and free product ? Even if you didn't like them, most would hang in there for the life it yields.
    Living MY dream.
  • Anonymous
    I was aware about the gifts thing - the point being an organisation of that size and influence needs to be transparent, and allowing gifts basically authorises corruption.

I don't think people are disputing the rest. Of course they would continue to vote to SB...not only due to the lifestyle it continues to afford them, but if they voted in someone else/ethical, they would be voting for their own demise!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    VTech wrote:
    I think people are misinformed about FiFa.

The organisation allows gifts, in some walks of life this isn't allowed because it is seen as morally wrong so the fact that they allowed candidates and members to receive gifts means no wrong was done.
    As an organisation they are free to set their own rules.
    I "think" the problem arrises from countries trying to win the various events and then realising that they were never in with a shout from the start due to the race being fixed, this then becomes illegal as its deemed as a form of corruption.

Also, most people voted for SB because the system under his control gave them a lifestyle, would any of you vote against your boss who allowed you to take home massive bonuses from company profits and free product ? Even if you didn't like them, most would hang in there for the life it yields.
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    VTech wrote:
    ...The organisation allows gifts, in some walks of life this isn't allowed because it is seen as morally wrong so the fact that they allowed candidates and members to receive gifts means no wrong was done.
    As an organisation they are free to set their own rules....
    Organisations can set their own rules provided they also comply with the laws/regulations in the regions where they do business. It's up to FIFA to enforce their own internal rules but state regulatory/legal authorities are entitled to respond if local or international laws are breached regardless of the organisations own rules.
    I don't know if local or international laws were broken but if the FBI is involving itself then presumably they believe they were. I'm sure the FBI doesn't particularly care if FIFA breaks it's own rules, only if it breaks the law.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Got it. Entrenched.

yes, that's the one
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ai_1 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    ...The organisation allows gifts, in some walks of life this isn't allowed because it is seen as morally wrong so the fact that they allowed candidates and members to receive gifts means no wrong was done.
    Organisations can set their own rules provided they also comply with the laws/regulations in the regions where they do business. It's up to FIFA to enforce their own internal rules but state regulatory/legal authorities are entitled to respond if local or international laws are breached regardless of the organisations own rules.
    I don't know if local or international laws were broken but if the FBI is involving itself then presumably they believe they were. I'm sure the FBI doesn't particularly care if FIFA breaks it's own rules, only if it breaks the law.

It gets worse... I can see sponsors being in a position to sue FIFA for damage to their image/reputation... VISA, Coca Cola or whatever could easily decide that their image is tarnished as a consequence of supporting an organisation where votes were bought and sold... and they would have a case... in fact, they could easily send FIFA into bankrupcy and I hope they will
  • briantrumpet
    Got it. Entrenched.

yes, that's the one
    Glad to be of service :)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Ai_1 wrote:
    VTech wrote:

It gets worse... I can see sponsors being in a position to sue FIFA for damage to their image/reputation... VISA, Coca Cola or whatever could easily decide that their image is tarnished as a consequence of supporting an organisation where votes were bought and sold... and they would have a case... in fact, they could easily send FIFA into bankrupcy and I hope they will
    Yes, I find that prospect rather pleasing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Yes, I find that prospect rather pleasing.

A few years of chaos... Putin's Cup has to be postponed or cancelled... what's not to like... :mrgreen:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Love that Red Interpol notice - WANTED!! Those guys who had it (or thought they did) are now potentially criminals.
    M.Rushton
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Ai_1 wrote:
    VTech wrote:

More complex than that.

Plenty of rumours out that the sponsors were complicit in the corruption in order to ensure favourable outcomes for them.
  • briantrumpet
    More complex than that.

Plenty of rumours out that the sponsors were complicit in the corruption in order to ensure favourable outcomes for them.
    Where's Manc33 when you need him?

Maybe he's the man for the job.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'm shocked that these large corporations may be mired in all this :roll: . Those corporate lawyers must be rubbing their hands at the thought of the billing hours/business class flights that are coming up.
    M.Rushton
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Like I said before they only need to be able to convince some of the real threat of jail time and they'll soon be in a race to sell each other out. It has already begun with the $10m payment accuasations regarding South Africa. They are largely crusty old men who are moral cowards, there won't be any collective silence.

Hilariously FIFA is actually a registered charity so I guess it could well be dissolved and something new put in it's place. Probably a good way to sidestep any legal issues with Russia and Qatar when their world cups disappear.