Tips for more focused training.

AllezAllezAllez
AllezAllezAllez Posts: 207
Hi All,

For the last six months I've actively increased my mileage and been on a weekly club run which is increasing my fitness. I'm now more likely to be at the front of the group on the club run and overall I've dropped a stone in weight.

I'm starting to think I should look to increase my intensity rather than just tapping out the miles? My goals are to drop a bit more weight and also keep up with some of the stronger/fitter riders.

I'm guessing there comes a point that you can't increase mileage so better to add harder shorter rides? I also find that sometimes the long rides turn into very steady rides as I tend to pace myself round.

I was thinking of the following:

1, Local hill reps
2, Short rides with intervals

Is it better to have a training partner rather than going solo? I often find it easier to push myself if I'm trying to beat my mate!

Any tips welcome.

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    1, Local hill reps
    2, Short rides with intervals

Is it better to have a training partner rather than going solo? I often find it easier to push myself if I'm trying to beat my mate!

Yes, use your training time to best advantage. Sometimes that means doing very tiring workouts. Other times, a relaxing 'long pleasure ride' for enjoyment.

A training partner can be great, but sometimes it is difficult to find someone with similar ability and interests.
    For 'hard training' go alone unless you have a great partner.
    And when going 'hard' be especially aware of safety issues due to possible distractions.

For pleasure riding, a suitable partner makes it more enjoyable.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • My goals are to drop a bit more weight and also keep up with some of the stronger/fitter riders.

Any tips welcome.

Ride more with the stronger/ fitter riders.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Ride more with the stronger/ fitter riders.

+1 and have a go at a TT or two. Assuming, of course, that both are options where you're based. Otherwise set a target time for a local sportive and think what you need to do to beat it..........which most of the time lead you back to your hill reps.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Whatever you do keep the balance between enjoying it and training benefit. A good fast chain gang is a proven way of getting some hard training in and enjoying it at the same time - others can keep up solo intervals all year round which would have some riders putting their bikes on ebay come July - it really is a case of different things suit different people.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Get TT training plan, do some TT's, simple
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I've only done a couple of chaingangs so far myself but it seems like it would fit the bill - fast, fun and intense. Looking at the HR data from yesterday (first time at an APR-style chaingang) I was up around the top of Z4 most of the time during the laps, and hit MHR more than once. Certainly felt more intense than the turbo sessions I was doing over the winter (Sufferfest and Time Crunched Cyclist).

As SloppySchleckonds says trying to hold the wheels of stronger/fitter riders is pretty good.