Saddle sores...

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,480
Are there any effective remedies anyone would like care to share?

I appreciate prevention is better than cure and I'm hygienic and I use chamois cream and repair gel but I've significantly upped my saddle time during the last two months and in part the sore may be down to simply getting my body bike fit again.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    How often and how far are you riding?
    Where do you get the pain?
    Has anything changed, bike or clothing?

(sorry for all the questions!!!!)
  • slowmart
    100-125 miles a week. One large Sunday ride of 60-70 miles and a couple more smaller rides in the week.

I've got a small fluid like lump between my right ball and backside.

Other than the mileage nothing has changed, same shorts, cream and saddle.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • drummer
    drummer Posts: 246
    Slowmart wrote:
    100-125 miles a week. One large Sunday ride of 60-70 miles and a couple more smaller rides in the week.

I've got a small fluid like lump between my right ball and backside.

Other than the mileage nothing has changed, same shorts, cream and saddle.

I recently had a similar situation. I got measure and moved up a saddle width.... No problems since!
    chris
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    you could use some topical benzoyl peroxide cream to tackle the sore to reduce swelling.
    I have actually stopped with the expensive chamois creams and use instead the Sudocrem Care and Protect... the original tends to mark the bib pad quite a lot, this doesn't.
    Any rides over 2 hours I make sure I wear bibs with an 'endurance' pad... these tend to be the bibs on the costlier side but a saddle sore can have a very detrimental effect on training.
    Witch hazel gel is a lot cheaper for post ride treatment and very effective.
    Know that your saddle is giving you the best support and not causing any chafing.
    For me a full carbon saddle is actually good for summer, multiple days but too good for winter so sees me back to another saddle that I know works.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Use an antibiotic cream/ointment on active sores.
    Prior to riding use a liquid antiseptic on the general area - e.g. Betadine antiseptic.

After riding, wash thoroughly and reapply the above.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • slowmart
    The witch hazel gel has proved effective and after a days rest the lump has reduced and I'll look into a wider saddle.

I had s similar issue a few years ago which the vet suggested was caused by an ingrowing hair? It feels similar to that but in that case the lump was much larger and some antibiotics sorted the situation.

So does anyone wax their sack? I've had my back done occasionally which means is it worth the pain/benefit and the potential of another ingrowing hair and while John Bishop did a sketch on his experience......but really guys? :shock:

Desmond Tutu
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Slowmart wrote:
    The witch hazel gel has proved effective and after a days rest the lump has reduced and I'll look into a wider saddle.

I had s similar issue a few years ago which the vet suggested was caused by an ingrowing hair? It feels similar to that but in that case the lump was much larger and some antibiotics sorted the situation.

So does anyone wax their sack? I've had my back done occasionally which means is it worth the pain/benefit and the potential of another ingrowing hair and while John Bishop did a sketch on his experience......but really guys? :shock:
    I am similarly afflicted and have been for some time. I haven't found a cure yet! My bike fit is good but I still get an issue in the right side. Comes and goes but never to the point where you could lance the thing. I control it with a combination of acne gel (nicked from the Mrs and daughter), tea tree oil and various combinations of Sudocreme, Assos and Bag Balm. i am now also switched to a fizik Arione saddle away from my Spesh Romin. I'd like to up my training a bit but I fear that it will further aggravate the issue until it keeps me off the bike.

With regard the waxing. I am not convinced that will help. You are more likely to get ingrown hairs as it grows back and bacteria thrive in hot sweaty environments. Believe it of not thats why we have hair down there - to trap air and reduce sweating.

At this rate i can see me having to swallow my pride and visit the Dr!!! Not that he will be interested.
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    i suffered bad for the first time in years recently, slap loads of butter cream on your skin, a little on the pad and along the stitching where you suspect it may be rubbing. Make sure your shorts are on correctly, pull the legs around your legs and pull back on the pad. it will go in time.
  • slowmart
    WTF. :shock:

I'm applying copious amounts of witch hazel to the offending area, twice a day even when i'm not riding and the swelling and pain are reducing and as an individual I like to understand things but why? The skins not broken and it was out of desperation that I started using the gel so why is it working?

My wife, who is actually sick to death of listening to my comments about my third little sack suggests its working so I should forget about it which is logical but I subscribe to prevention is better than a cure and a improved understanding is required.

Thanks in advance.

Desmond Tutu
  • colinsmith123
    colinsmith123 Posts: 579
    Prevention is better than cure. Sometimes it is not obvious things that cause saddle sores. In my case, my saddle sore on one side of my perineum was being caused by my favourite bib shorts. A small 'blister' had formed on the chamois in the cloth material of the chamois right where the saddle sore lies. This small stretch in the material was a bit like sandpaper against my skin and this abrasiveness was enough to allow the germs in.

I still can't bring myself to bin my shorts, but they have been retired.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    are you using chamois cream or something else?
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Have you got fitter? Being fitter, losing weight and also being more flexible can result in you changing your riding position. It could only be a couple of mm or 1 or 2 degree angles, but it does make a difference. A slight alteration on your position can affect how you sit on the saddle. This is one of the reasons good bike fitters always recommend top up sessions, to account for changes in fitness etc

If this isn't the cause, then look at the saddle and also the quality and fit of your bibshorts.

It may surprise you, that if you're perfectly fitted to the bike, your shorts fit correctly and your saddle is the right shape and size, then you don't need to use chamois cream! Problem is most riders don't have all the above perfectly right. Unless you've got some grit in the pad, saddle sores are the result of movement and friction in that perineum contact area. One of the most common causes is people's shorts not fitting right – which results in unwanted movement.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    PTestTeam wrote:
    Have you got fitter? Being fitter, losing weight and also being more flexible can result in you changing your riding position. It could only be a couple of mm or 1 or 2 degree angles, but it does make a difference. A slight alteration on your position can affect how you sit on the saddle. This is one of the reasons good bike fitters always recommend top up sessions, to account for changes in fitness etc

If this isn't the cause, then look at the saddle and also the quality and fit of your bibshorts.

It may surprise you, that if you're perfectly fitted to the bike, your shorts fit correctly and your saddle is the right shape and size, then you don't need to use chamois cream! Problem is most riders don't have all the above perfectly right. Unless you've got some grit in the pad, saddle sores are the result of movement and friction in that perineum contact area. One of the most common causes is people's shorts not fitting right – which results in unwanted movement.
    Prevention is better than cure. Sometimes it is not obvious things that cause saddle sores. In my case, my saddle sore on one side of my perineum was being caused by my favourite bib shorts. A small 'blister' had formed on the chamois in the cloth material of the chamois right where the saddle sore lies. This small stretch in the material was a bit like sandpaper against my skin and this abrasiveness was enough to allow the germs in.

Similar issue here. My Castelli free Aero race are my best shorts, most expensive shorts and were most comfortable on longer rides. however having shed 6lbs in weight, dropped my bars 10mm and 12 months of washing them seems to have altered the fit. The chamois is is just a bit big and seemingly "baggy" now which leads to it creasing a bit. It pains me to say it but I think my favourite shorts are now vanity only! Did a 70 miler in my old DHB pair (with an injudicious smear of Sudocreme) on saturday expecting to have the zit flare up as per normal but low and behold no reaction!

The problem is that there are so many variables and if you have an issue underlying then its prone to flare up under any sort of irritation. However I would advocate well fitted shorts as the start point for avoiding such conditions.
  • PTestTeam
    Calpol wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:

Similar issue here. My Castelli free Aero race are my best shorts, most expensive shorts and were most comfortable on longer rides. however having shed 6lbs in weight, dropped my bars 10mm and 12 months of washing them seems to have altered the fit. The chamois is is just a bit big and seemingly "baggy" now which leads to it creasing a bit. It pains me to say it but I think my favourite shorts are now vanity only! Did a 70 miler in my old DHB pair (with an injudicious smear of Sudocreme) on saturday expecting to have the zit flare up as per normal but low and behold no reaction!

The problem is that there are so many variables and if you have an issue underlying then its prone to flare up under any sort of irritation. However I would advocate well fitted shorts as the start point for avoiding such conditions.

It could be that you need the next size down in shorts?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Not wanting to be rude about the OP or anyone else's personal hygiene routine and in fact i suffer from the same problem and this is what i do.

I ride 160-250 miles a week depending on the time of year and suffer more in the so called summer months, now my best guess is blocked pores and not because i havent washed my kit and dont keep myself clean, far from it, i shower before leaving in the morning and when i get to the end, however i have another 1-1 1/2 hours after i get to the station before getting to work, so i use baby wipes and when possible sudocrem in between sections of my ride to work.

when i out socially riding the first thing i do when i get in is shower, no messing around with food, bike or strava then again apply a light coating of cream.

its sounds over the top but i figure if this routine stops the really painful sores then i'm doing it, i'd rather that than the discomfort and potential enforced time off the bike.

good luck
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • slowmart
    edited June 2015
    itboffin wrote:
    Not wanting to be rude about the OP or anyone else's personal hygiene routine and in fact i suffer from the same problem and this is what i do.

I ride 160-250 miles a week depending on the time of year and suffer more in the so called summer months, now my best guess is blocked pores and not because i havent washed my kit and dont keep myself clean, far from it, i shower before leaving in the morning and when i get to the end, however i have another 1-1 1/2 hours after i get to the station before getting to work, so i use baby wipes and when possible sudocrem in between sections of my ride to work.

when i out socially riding the first thing i do when i get in is shower, no messing around with food, bike or strava then again apply a light coating of cream.

its sounds over the top but i figure if this routine stops the really painful sores then i'm doing it, i'd rather that than the discomfort and potential enforced time off the bike.

good luck

Thanks for the input and the sore has greatly reduced in size. Witch hazel seems to have done the trick and I pay much more attention in ensuring a good scrub up rather than a quick shower which is an outcome of increased awareness and part desperation in wanting a satisfactory solution. As I'm home after a ride, i shower first, bike and kit are next. My kit is always clean and i wear Assos bib shorts and one adjustment I've made is to ensure the shorts are seated correctly. I'll be happier when the lump/has disappeared completely but it's slowly reducing and the main outcome for me is I'm not losing riding time.

Desmond Tutu
  • PTestTeam
    Slowmart wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

good luck

Thanks for the input and the sore has nearly reduced great in size. Witch hazel seems to have done the trick and I pay much more attention in ensuring a good scrub up rather than a quick shower which is an outcome of increased awareness and part desperation in wanting a satisfactory solution. As I'm home after a ride, i shower first, bike and kit are next. My kit is always clean and i wear Assos bib shorts and one adjustment I've made is to ensure the shorts are seated correctly. I'll be happier when the lump/has disappeared completely but it's slowly reducing and the main outcome for me is I'm not losing riding time.

If you're struggling you could use the corn ring type plasters. Stick it on the area, making sure the 'sore' is within the ring, this should help. I've not tried this myself but a mate has, and it did give some relief.
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    Riding over 250 mile a week and sometimes closer to 300 mile over this past 2 months and the biggest problem for me lately is saddle sores. I have one that comes and goes but it feels like is a little ball under the skin now. This means that anytime i have a long day in the saddle it flares up! Could there be an ingrown hair in it or something?
  • slowmart
    ilav84 wrote:
    Riding over 250 mile a week and sometimes closer to 300 mile over this past 2 months and the biggest problem for me lately is saddle sores. I have one that comes and goes but it feels like is a little ball under the skin now. This means that anytime i have a long day in the saddle it flares up! Could there be an ingrown hair in it or something?

Sounds like my affliction. Get some witch hazel gel and apply twice a day.

This has reduced the size to a small ball, rather than a lump and its pain free. A good scrub in the shower post ride and chamois cream for the ride and it seems manageable. So far.

God luck as they're a painful annoyance.

Desmond Tutu
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Get to to the gym

Goblet squats
    One Leg deadlifts
    Bridges

Get some muscle in that butt !
  • sutbags
    sutbags Posts: 45
    Preparation H seems to work best for me for getting shut of them.
  • sven_jto
    sven_jto Posts: 183
    Panoxyl 10% hard to get nowadays(try online) but extremely effective.. have tried preparation x and witch hazel gel this was better, have in mind though that it has sort of a bleaching effect on your underwear... :shock: :?