B'Twin Rockrider 560 - Good first bike for £500?

2»

Comments

• Came home tonight with a missed not from DHL :( Five minutes later buzzer goes the guy came back on the off chance ,Boost so not the very proud owner of a very nice and inexpensive bike fixed my own grips and flat peddles,changed the brakes round the other side of the shifters and let a bit of air out the front.

Avery happy chappie :)
    Mine is due tomorrow fingers crossed :)
    For me a well worth bike hope all goes well,i received two packets with tools :roll: set of peddles and a nice cheap set of lights :D .
    Picture from decathlon doesn't do it justice matt black.
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    That reminds me to look in the jiffy bag.

I'm thinking the tyres are the weak link here, though I probably wont replace them for my kid. Are Kenda nevegal's still the default 3 season tyre of choice? I did notice the brakes were a bit over spaced, but for my sons use its probably a good thing that they are a bit soft to start, providing I brief him to keep his fingers out of the way.
  • Well the XL is out of stock now anyway. Is it likely to come back in stock at that price?

Definitely think about the L. No idea the equivalent brand/bike you could try in your local Halford's, or LBS or something. Even though you are a bit bigger, you might actually prefer the more compact frame position anyway. Worth a look.
  • Just ordered a small for my son, as stated previously this is belting value at £339, it should last him a long time.
    Its a Christmas present and it's very unlike me to buy this far out, I just couldn't risk them selling out though.

Personally the 26" wheels are a bonus for me, it means i have some emergency spares for my bike (only half joking here :wink: ), I can also swap kit over if / when I upgrade.

I'll be riding 26" wheels for a long time, this shouldn't put anyone off, I've noticed that the the prices for 26" forks & wheels are finally startling to drop, there's some good deals on high end kit out there now.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'd try the large, just breaking down the value of the components, you could easily upgrade the frame for something cool off ebay.

I reckon the full groupset is worth 250 - 300 on its own.

£30 mechs
    £35 crankset
    £45 brakes
    £70 forks
    £30 shifters
    £5 bars
    £5 stem
    £10 seat n post
    £5 bits (chain, cassette)
    £30 wheels
    £5 pedals
    £25 frame
    £295
  • Well the XL is out of stock now anyway. Is it likely to come back in stock at that price?

Definitely think about the L. No idea the equivalent brand/bike you could try in your local Halford's, or LBS or something. Even though you are a bit bigger, you might actually prefer the more compact frame position anyway. Worth a look.

If I could try it out I definitely would but the nearest store is at least a 3 hour drive from where I live :(

Seems such a good offer to miss though. Suppose I could order the L to try but not sure what I'd do if it didn't feel good. My current (old Raleigh, probably not comparable) is a 22" frame.
  • Mine has just turned up. Really pleased. Feels reasonably light, looks fantastic, didn't even realise it was coming with SPD peddles so that is a bonus. It seems to have been setup okay, but I'm not too bad with bikes so can give everything a tweak. Can't wait to get out, beautiful day too!

Goes without saying, but word of warning to anyone, don't use the free tools that come with it, they are bad and likely to round out any bolts you use them on.
  • Still deciding whether to go for the large frame or wait for something else to come along.

Any chance someone with the L size could measure a couple of things for me so I can compare it to my current bike, like the height from the ground to the seat, seat to handle bar, er, anything else that would be important. Not as good as actually sitting on it I know but should give me an idea at least.
  • Still deciding whether to go for the large frame or wait for something else to come along.

Any chance someone with the L size could measure a couple of things for me so I can compare it to my current bike, like the height from the ground to the seat, seat to handle bar, er, anything else that would be important. Not as good as actually sitting on it I know but should give me an idea at least.

I've got the L.

Saddle fully extended to max height, top of seat to ground vertically is 1065mm.
    Front of saddle in mid position to the back of the stem is 490mm.
    Top of handle bar grips to ground vertically is 1018mm.

My inside leg is 860mm (nearly 34"), I'm 6' and without realising it I've been out and adjusted the seat to the max position for height, without a new seat post I can't go any higher. That said, if anything the reach is slightly too long so I will be adjusting the saddle forward to reduce that 490mm above. That has room in the saddle adjustment to be increased too.

So at 2" taller than me, you may find the seat post height on the limit or not quite enough. I suppose a longer seat could be bought cheap enough, the one supplied is dia 29.8mm has a usable height range of 200mm, the actual post is 326mm in length.

Hope that helps!
  • [quote="bold seagull"

I've got the L.

Hope that helps![/quote]

Yes. But maybe no :) I'm 2" taller with an inside leg about 1" longer (don't think I've ever measured that before). I'll see if I can compare it to my current bike later but thinking now I wouldn't risk it just in case, think the XL would have been better.
  • Yes. But maybe no :) I'm 2" taller with an inside leg about 1" longer (don't think I've ever measured that before). I'll see if I can compare it to my current bike later but thinking now I wouldn't risk it just in case, think the XL would have been better.

I was going to reply to you anyway once I realised I had got to the full extent of the saddle height out on a ride this morning. I'm happy as the reach would be too much for me on the XL which is fine for me on the L. At least I've given you the max extension height so you can see how that relates to your current bike.
  • I was going to reply to you anyway once I realised I had got to the full extent of the saddle height out on a ride this morning. I'm happy as the reach would be too much for me on the XL which is fine for me on the L. At least I've given you the max extension height so you can see how that relates to your current bike.

That's great, thanks very much. I'll see what I think tonight when I get home from work. If I do decide to get one it'll probably be out of stock just as I go to order it anyway.

Is there any point checking stores for stock of the XL or does their online stock level take that into account?
  • I was going to reply to you anyway once I realised I had got to the full extent of the saddle height out on a ride this morning. I'm happy as the reach would be too much for me on the XL which is fine for me on the L. At least I've given you the max extension height so you can see how that relates to your current bike.

That's great, thanks very much. I'll see what I think tonight when I get home from work. If I do decide to get one it'll probably be out of stock just as I go to order it anyway.

Is there any point checking stores for stock of the XL or does their online stock level take that into account?

Worth checking as I think the online store is different stock to stores... I just looked and they have stock of the XL in Coventry, Giltbrook, Sheffield and Stockport.
  • Oohh, how do I do that. I could potentially get my sister to pick one up from the Wednesbury store if they have one in stock.
  • Oohh, how do I do that. I could potentially get my sister to pick one up from the Wednesbury store if they have one in stock.

On the Decathlon site, click XL (even if its greyed) and you can then click 'reserve in store', don't allow it to use your current location, you then get a map of the UK where you can view stock in different stores.
  • Thanks. I had to do it on my laptop, wouldn't work on my mobile. Interestingly the XL is available to buy online again. Think I might have to make a purchase :)
  • Glad I didn't go for the L. Got an XL on the way now :)
  • Glad I didn't go for the L. Got an XL on the way now :)

Great. I think you'll be very pleased! :D 8)
  • fool
    fool Posts: 1
    My order for the Rockrider 560 was cancelled and they've offered me the 27.5 version instead. It looks like it shares many of the same components except for the fork, would there be much of a difference between the two bikes or indeed the Rockrider Big 8 which I could perhaps ask for instead of the Rockrider 27.5.
  • Woo hoo. It arrived today and it is lovely. Looks nicer in the flesh than on their website. And I'm glad I went for the XL, the size seems perfect. Needs a bit of adjusting before I go out for a spin.

Only problem is where one of the gear cables comes out of the outer casing the bit that covers the end is broken. Picture attached. What can I do about that?
  • A closer up picture. The cable outer casing isn't going into the, er, grommet? and has broken it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Replace that section of outer cable and the end cap. If it came like that the shop should sort it out but it's a five minute job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'd email the pic in to Decathlon customer services given you don't live close to a store. They may give you some money to get it done. You could temporarily get the cable back in the grommet and tape it with some gaffer tape to secure the housing.and stop it popping out.
  • Thanks. I'll send the picture to Decathlon and see what they say. I've managed to put the cable back into the end cap but it has split so not sure how long it will last.

Anyway, been out for a quick spin in the lovely Welsh rain. This bike is awesome. Think the gears need a bit more adjustment though. So much lighter than my old Raleigh bike and the 10 cogs at the back made the hills around my house far easier to climb. Love it. Can't wait to have a proper go on some trails now. If not before then going out a week Sunday :)