Garmin cadence sensor rubber band

Phil562
Phil562 Posts: 73
edited January 2016 in Road general
The rubber retaining band on my garmin cadence sensor ( the crank mounted type) has started to fray and one part has snapped ..... :( Can't seem to find replacements anywhere, anybody used anything different or shall I resort to the mark 1 leggy band or a piece of gaffer tape .... Many thanks

Comments

• telesv650
    telesv650 Posts: 59
    Mine is cable tied on.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Have you contacted Garmin?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Was thinking about this the other day and I reckon one of the rings you get for the Garmin stem mount might do the job.

The OP is talking about the new cadence sensor.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Not 100% on what you are describing but....i have the Edge 500 package from a couple of years ago. The tie wrap on cadence magnet came off and got lost so i replaced it with a £0.50 magnet from Ebay, that attaches to the inside of the pedal spindle. Works perfect, is secure and looks much neater (well its invisible)
  • Phil562
    Was thinking about this the other day and I reckon one of the rings you get for the Garmin stem mount might do the job.

Yes its the new type of sensor, cable tie would work, however would be a pain when I'm swapping it between bikes
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I'm not sure how you'd persuade a cable tie to work on the new sensor as I didn't think there were holes to pass the cable tie through, instead there are hooks to hold the band on.

When I first got mine I was wondering if there's a better system than the rubber band as it does seem a little flimsey.

I would contact Garmin as someone said above.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • ScudULike
    ScudULike Posts: 19
    I use a strip of velcro that was on an old computer power cable (that you normally use to keep the cable tidy when not in use).Works great.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    Calpol wrote:
    Not 100% on what you are describing but....i have the Edge 500 package from a couple of years ago. The tie wrap on cadence magnet came off and got lost so i replaced it with a £0.50 magnet from Ebay, that attaches to the inside of the pedal spindle. Works perfect, is secure and looks much neater (well its invisible)

Was just about to say the same...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-2-HIDDEN-ST ... 2350ee2fe7

And they work but more importantly they stay put.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    yes magnets on pedal spindal back works a treat and looks so much better.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    The new cadence sensor doesn't use a magnet. The whole system is magnet free.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Couple of O rings would do the job wouldn't they? Not sure what size would be needed, but various kits with loads of sizes online for not a lot of money.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Phil562 wrote:

Yes its the new type of sensor, cable tie would work, however would be a pain when I'm swapping it between bikes

Use a releasable cable tie .

F05832-20Pcs-8x150-mm-Releasable-Nylon-Cable-font-b-Tie-b-font-font-b-Zip-b.jpg
  • Phil562
    I've emailed Garmin, no reply as yet .....

I found 2 of the smaller handle bar mount O rings in my box of cycling bits, used 2 just in case one breaks mid pedal ..... so ordered some more from China via eBay....

Many thanks for your replys .... :-)
  • Did anyone find a fix for this. One of mine has started to snap and I would like to replace it before it falls off.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    As above the ebay ones that fit on the inside of the pedal axle. They even come in 'invisible' black
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Hahaha, 6 months later and people still can't be bothered to read the posts!

They're both talking about the new cadence sensors that don't use a magnet-based system. He can stick a magnet on his pedal spindle if he likes, but it's going to do bugger all.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    A normal O-ring will do the job, take off the one you have, measure the diameter, order a new one off ebay etc and bobs your mothers brother.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The OP is referring to the type below and not the old GSC10.

Garmin-Latest-Speed-Cadence-Sensor-Garmin-ANT-Bicycle-Bike-Speed-Sensor-fenix2-Edge-510-810-1000.jpg
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A normal O-ring will do the job, take off the one you have, measure the diameter, order a new one off ebay etc and bobs your mothers brother.

Years ago I was after a new O-ring mounting band for my Sigma computer so toddled off to the LBS who couldn't oblige but did say did try a heating and plumbing shop that was literally across the road from my flat who obliged for a few pennies opposed to the few pounds that a Sigma band would have cost.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854

Years ago I was after a new O-ring mounting band for my Sigma computer so toddled off to the LBS who couldn't oblige but did say did try a heating and plumbing shop that was literally across the road from my flat who obliged for a few pennies opposed to the few pounds that a Sigma band would have cost.

I would just go in the garage as no doubt ill have something knocking about.

But not everyone knows where to look/go, and tbh ebay has everything and you dont even need to leave your armchair.

But yes, places like that are a good start. :D
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • I've got a couple of spares - pm me your address and I'll post one on to you if you want?
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    I need a new one of these...anyone found a good source of them yet?

Cable ties def won't work. It's a fancy 3 pronged rubber band. 1 of the 3 has gone on mine.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    would electrical tape work?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Found a replacement rubber band here for $10. Don't know what postage would be though? Surely they'll fit in a small envelope and the weight would be negligible.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-bike-speed-and-cadence-sensor-band-replacements.html

I noticed the website shows the part number as 011-03548-00 . This might help searching.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I might give Garmin a call tomorrow about this. Surely they must sell spare elastic bands?!
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    Wait until you try and replace the casing for the new speed sensor... My cat ate mine, contacted Garmin who referred me to the local distributor. No joy whatsoever, so ended up having to buy a new sensor unit entirely :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I snapped the fig 8 shaped band that came with mine(BTW you get different sized ones in the pack) and just stuck a normal o shaped band on instead. It hold just as well and not had a single problem. The ring I am using now was a band that was used to hold the garmin mount onto a stem before I got an 'out in front mount'.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Electrical tape/gaffer tape
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Electrical tape/gaffer tape

As much as I am sure it would probably work, I doubt many people want to wrap gaffer tape around their pride and joys crank arm.