Lost motivation for riding

Robo1964
Robo1964 Posts: 4
After working my butt of during the Winter I seem to have lost my motivation for riding.A couple of people mentioned I'd lost a lot of weight which spurred me on to hit the weights,since January I've put on about ten pound,which,while helping me with power on the bike,is obviously detrimental when it comes to power/weight ratio.
I have to say I feel better for carrying at bit more weight (now 92k),but still have a yearning to ride to the best of my ability.Should I phase out my weight training until Winter and concentrate on my cycling or just use cycling to burn a bit of fat?

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Robo1964 wrote:
    After working my butt of during the Winter I seem to have lost my motivation for riding.A couple of people mentioned I'd lost a lot of weight which spurred me on to hit the weights,since January I've put on about ten pound,which,while helping me with power on the bike,is obviously detrimental when it comes to power/weight ratio.
    I have to say I feel better for carrying at bit more weight (now 92k),but still have a yearning to ride to the best of my ability.Should I phase out my weight training until Winter and concentrate on my cycling or just use cycling to burn a bit of fat?
    Surely there's no right answer to that!
    It depends entirely on your priorities. If you're looking for motivation surely the most important thing is to work towards your own goals not something one of use suggests?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Just go out and ride, forget about strava and targets. You will soon gain fitness and get back into it. The rest such as diet will then follow. If you prefer weight training do that instead, you can always do a bit of cycling in the gym to keep you ticking over.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I tried to juggle playing rugby and cycling for a couple of years. While I was committed to rugby I kept my weight up and did a lot of upper body strength work. The result was that my cycling didn't improve - I enjoyed it but I reached a level and couldn't improve on that. When I retired from rugby and committed to cycling I dropped 20kg in a year and my cycling came on massively. I probably enjoy it a little more than I did previously but not massively so, I'm just better at it.

It's about deciding what you want
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    you sound a little like me, in the fact it sounds like you like the feeling of achievement from getting faster etc? im a guy guy...more fat then muscle and have always thought i didnt want to be really skinny, even though i know that would help my rubbish climbing a lot. the way i am looking at it now is i might try my hand at some TT's where all that power could be used better....sense of achievement and something to work on without going too serious but also maintaining a long ride once a week.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    I think it's easy to lose perspective. Some guys get so obsessed about losing weight to climb better that they end up looking ill. Being the fastest in your club up any climb is great, but when you end up looking so frail that little old ladies give you their seat on the bus and you weigh less than the Mrs, is it really all that ?
    Just ride and enjoy it.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Origami02 wrote:
    ... is it really all that ?
    When you are getting your ars3 kicked in a bike race, yes it really is.

OP what makes you think gaining 10lb has improved your power on the bike?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you enjoy weight training then don't give it up. You could switch to short faster rides just to keep the cardio up. I do a fair amount of weights too (probably 50:50 in terms of time spend) and you can get pretty lean while packing some decent muscle.

Unless you have a goal of winning races or hitting a certain performance target, I'd go with the mufti-discipline approach.
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Origami02 wrote:

With respect, I'm not sure that the OP has stated any aspirations to race.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Origami02 wrote:
    I think it's easy to lose perspective. Some guys get so obsessed about losing weight to climb better that they end up looking ill. Being the fastest in your club up any climb is great, but when you end up looking so frail that little old ladies give you their seat on the bus and you weigh less than the Mrs, is it really all that ?
    Just ride and enjoy it.

It's all subective - I'm not super skinny myself but I wouldn't say any of the lads I know who are look ill - they look fit and I suppose to a non-cyclist maybe strikingly slim but not unhealthy.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Origami02 wrote:

Are you a pro?
  • Robo1964
    Thanks guys,a lot of interesting and helpful comments there.ive been on leave this week and concerntrated on work in the gym,and God am I missing my bike,even told the misses I was gonna sell my S Works much to her dismay as it was a present for my 50th.Think weights have definitely got a roll with n my training,but not at the expense of my cycling.i just seem to be lacking the inspiration I had before,maybe need to set myself some goals to keep my interest going.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    styxd wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Origami02 wrote:

Are you a pro?

Why do you have to be a pro to want to ride a bike fast, most people who race do put a huge amount of commitment into it, seems silly to put the hours in and then not want to hit a decent racing weight because you think you wont look as good on the beach.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    No reason why you cant do hills or be fast at 92kg - I am just under that and beat most skinny people I ride with up the hills and on the flat, I just lose time on the downhills because I am a chicken... You just need to develop stronger legs through more training. Even better, if you then do lose some weight you get super fast!!!
  • apreading wrote:
    No reason why you cant do hills or be fast at 92kg - I am just under that and beat most skinny people I ride with up the hills and on the flat

LAFFIN
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    apreading wrote:
    No reason why you cant do hills or be fast at 92kg - I am just under that and beat most skinny people I ride with up the hills and on the flat

LAFFIN

SPELLIN
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Origami02 wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Origami02 wrote:

With respect, I'm not sure that the OP has stated any aspirations to race.
    He didn't express any insecurity about looking ill or comparing his body with old ladies or his wife either...
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Robo1964 wrote:
    but not at the expense of my cycling.i just seem to be lacking the inspiration I had before,maybe need to set myself some goals to keep my interest going.

You seem to be pulled in 2 directions - on 1 hand you say cycling is important, but then you say you've lost inspiration for it.

There's a limited amount of time each day - use it wisely!
    And it's OK to realize that 'things have changed'.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Enter a long ride challenge, something like the Fred Whitton. For that you'll just have to ride. And ride more. But once it's over you'll be the fittest you've ever been on a bike.

IMO all this "weights to pack on muscle" and "short cardio sessions for top-end power" is a bit overrated and is creating a new breed of amateurs who have the speed but not the strength and mental fortitude for long-haul challenges. Much like the gym generation who think if they go to three insanity/zumba classes a week it'll magically improve their ability to set a PB at the likes of the Great Manchester Run. There is no substitute for simply getting out there and doing more. I dropped my run intensity this past winter, did less interval sessions in favour of simply "doing more miles" (half of which were done at 6am in "fat burn" mode on a cup of coffee and nothing else) and knocked over a minute off my 10k PB in my "triathlon season warm-up" event at Market Drayton. Go out there and enjoy that S-Works - I wish I could afford one of those :P
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I like cycling because; a) It is just so enjoyable.
    and b) It keeps me fit.

If your(my) motivation is "b" then eventually it becomes a chore. On the other hand it's "a" then "b" takes care of itself.

In summary - try not to get too bogged down with fitness, just enjoy the ride.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Robo1964 wrote:

If you have lost motivation for riding then i doubt phasing out weight training will change that - if anything, by concentrating solely on bike training you may find it even harder to get on the bike (it may become a chore).

I go through stages like this. At least once a year i lose motivation to ride and will do anything i can to avoid going out on the bike - even if i have an event to train for.

For me a couple of things seem to work to reignite my motivation;

- Make sure you get enough rest days. TBH I struggle to do this but if your body is tired and not rested enough riding (in fact any type of aerobic exercise) will be hard and may not be enjoyable, thus you will not look forward to your next ride.

- Treat yourself to a new accessory/part/gear for the bike (its surprising how much a new gps or even a new jersey can spur you on)

- Arrange a ride with a few friends (rather than training solo)

- Go out on the bike without any consideration for speed or where you are going and just enjoy the ride/countryside.

- Watch some pro races (especially the GTs)

- Do a different sport for a few weeks (running, swimming etc)

Hopefully you might find these useful and one may work for you.

Chin up.
  • Robo1964
    redvision wrote:
    Robo1964 wrote:

If you have lost motivation for riding then i doubt phasing out weight training will change that - if anything, by concentrating solely on bike training you may find it even harder to get on the bike (it may become a chore).

I go through stages like this. At least once a year i lose motivation to ride and will do anything i can to avoid going out on the bike - even if i have an event to train for.

For me a couple of things seem to work to reignite my motivation;

- Make sure you get enough rest days. TBH I struggle to do this but if your body is tired and not rested enough riding (in fact any type of aerobic exercise) will be hard and may not be enjoyable, thus you will not look forward to your next ride.

- Treat yourself to a new accessory/part/gear for the bike (its surprising how much a new gps or even a new jersey can spur you on)

- Arrange a ride with a few friends (rather than training solo)

- Go out on the bike without any consideration for speed or where you are going and just enjoy the ride/countryside.

- Watch some pro races (especially the GTs)

- Do a different sport for a few weeks (running, swimming etc)

Hopefully you might find these useful and one may work for you.
    Started commuting to work over the last few weeks and seem to have re-discovered my mojo.Have to agree I don't rest easy and don't enjoy my rest days,and as such I am probably pushing to hard.Even considered selling my 4k S Works until a couple of jokers offered me peanuts for it.
    Now considering joining a local club as,as much as I enjoy the solitude of riding solo sometimes,riding in a group might offer that extra motivation.Thanks for your advice.
    Chin up.