what to do

lmcamoes
lmcamoes Posts: 51
I am cycling for 2 months and I have being on this routine for the last 2 moths.
I lost weight and I feel in general much healthier but I feel constantly discomfort on my legs muscles.
Monday - 4 + 4 miles road
Tuesday - 4 + 4 miles road
Wednesday - 4 + 4 miles road
Thursday - 4 + 4 miles road
Friday - 4 + 4 miles road
Saturday - rest
Sunday - 15 miles off road

I think I should increase the numbers of miles per day and have at least 2 days of rest so I am thynking in changing my routine to:
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - 4 + 4 miles road + 10 miles on gym
Thursday - 4 + 4 miles road + 10 miles on gym
Friday - 4 + 4 miles road + 10 miles on gym
Saturday - 15 miles off road
Sunday - 15 miles off road

And increase the mileage every two weeks.

What do you think?

Comments

• lmcamoes
    The routine that I thought to use will make me loose 2 days of commuting and will make me use the Bus... I do not want that...

What about this weekly routine:
    Monday - 4 + 4 miles road (Easy pace)
    Tuesday - 4 + 4 miles road (Easy pace)
    Wednesday - 4 + 4 miles road + 10 miles on gym
    Thursday - 4 + 4 miles road + 10 miles on gym
    Friday - 4 + 4 miles road + 10 miles on gym
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - above 15 miles off road

Increasing every two weeks miles in the Gym and Sunday rides
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you're being a bit cautious there unless you have reasons for it ?

My wife went from 0 to 50mile rides in about a month or two.

How 'off road' is off road ? If its a path then its only marginally harder than road riding - if its through mud then 15 miles could be 3 or 4 hours riding ?

I've been riding decades and my legs still hurt after a decent bike ride. Don't worry about it.
  • lmcamoes
    The off road ride is a mix of path, mud, loose rocks, steep hills... normally takes me about 2h

My worries is that they are hurting for the last 2 months... 2 days rest are not enough and 8 miles a day is not that much.
    Is it normal to feel the legs like that?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well I guess you're new to it - they're just getting used to it. Its so long since I started that I cant honestly remember - but what are your options ? Get the bus to work ? You don't want to do that.

Does the bike fit you properly ? Tyres inflated properly ? Really 8 miles a day is nothing to cycle and that shouldnt be hurting you. The two hours at the weekend - maybe more so.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Just a couple of suggestions.
    The commute distance is fixed obviously, but if you're going to increase the distance I'd be inclined to suggest more variation with that additional distance. You'll likely get bored very quick doing similar rides the whole time. So I'd suggest you use your additional distance for some fast rides, some longer easy rides and maybe some interval training or hilly rides. IMO, a bit of variety is better for you both physically and mentally. If you do a hard cycle one day, take it easy the next - whether this means knocking the pace back a little or shortening the ride. I think if you're taking two days off a week for recovery then it probablyu makes more sense to spread them out rather than taking them back to back. Also maybe consider moving your longer cycle to Saturday so you can rest Sunday or else leave it Sunday but take it easy on the Monday commute. The distances you're doing are not very long but they'll still take a little getting used to if you're new to it. Especially if you're not coming from other sports or depending on your age, etc. I'd suggest not worrying too much about using the cycles for weight loss. They'll help but food is far more important. Just worry about improving fitness. That way you'll see results whether you lose weight or not and you'll improve health whether you lose weight or not. That'll surely help you keep it up and in time you'll figure out the sort of cycling and schedule that suits you.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    After 2 months a 4 mile each way commute shouldn't really be making your legs hurt.

Unless the bike's really too small for you or badly set up?

Or you're pushing too large a gear and grinding away slowly and painfully rather than spinning the pedals at a comfortable cadence?

Or there's a massive hill involved at some point in the commute?

Or you're doing the rides flat out sprinting all the way?

Flat tyres or brakes dragging?
  • lmcamoes
    I think it was me not using the right gears.
    On my way to work It is all most all the way down hill, I just have a stretch close to the end that is up hill, in 1.2km goes from 108 to 140m.
    Going back home It is almost always up hill where I have in 4km to climb from 105m to 182m.
    I always used the front large gear... I am trying since this week to use the small front gear and it is much better
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    lmcamoes wrote:
    I think it was me not using the right gears.
    On my way to work It is all most all the way down hill, I just have a stretch close to the end that is up hill, in 1.2km goes from 108 to 140m.
    Going back home It is almost always up hill where I have in 4km to climb from 105m to 182m.
    I always used the front large gear... I am trying since this week to use the small front gear and it is much better
    I'd suggest you aim for a cadence of 80+ rpm. So 4 revs every 3 seconds. Most new riders tend to use very low rpm. If you intentionally keep your rpm up for a couple of weeks you'll probably then find your natural preference adjusts in that direction. It'll unload your legs and allow you go faster more easily as you get fitter.
    Don't worry about watching what gear you re in. Just make sure your legs aren't slowing down unless you've run out of gears. Change gears as and when necessary to keep the pedals moving at a brisk pace.
  • lmcamoes
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I'd suggest you aim for a cadence of 80+ rpm. So 4 revs every 3 seconds.

What is the best way or equipment (cheap and simple) to count revs?