Garmin Vector pedals - training with power

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
Morning all,

I have a pair of Garmin Vector 2's on order, and want to use the few weeks/or month before delivery to try and ascertain how best to put them to use.

I realise I could pay for a coach, but working this kind of stuff out is half of the enjoyment for me.

I already have this one, which I have used to good effect and will likely continue to do so:
books_timecrunchedcyclist.jpg

But am wondering if either of these two would prove useful - any recommendations for one over the other or something else entirely?
51N2WlCkMuL.jpg
PMH_96dpi_400pw_stroke.jpg

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Get them both.
    Then just do the TCTP anyway.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Both the Friel (it was the training bible though) and the Hunter books were good. The Friel one was more about planning out / creating a yearly training programme. The Hunter one was more about understanding power. How to test, fatigue profiles. Benefits of a PM. If you were to buy one I'd get the Hunter one, it should better compliment the time crunched book assuming that is a training programme in itself.
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou gents!

I have also stumbled on this book coming out in a couple of months too, but of course no reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Power-Meters-Rob-Hayles/dp/1847978975
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • joe2008 wrote:
    I have a pair of Garmin Vector 2's on order, and want to use the few weeks/or month before delivery to try and ascertain why I need a power meter.

FTFY

Whenever I catch myself thinking about a power meter, not very often, I re-read rule #74 which includes:

"...round to the nearest number you can understand, and guess what? You still suck. Now log on to Strava and let the rest of those morons know how much you suck in comparison to them.

The Prophet didn't ride with a computer, mainly because they weren't invented, granted, but all he needed to know was how much more pain he could endure as he crushed the opposition. He could feel it. If it's hurting and you're not getting anywhere, you need to hurt a bit more.

There's only one number you need to know, and a computer, or power meter or heart rate monitor isn't going to tell you that. The only number that matters is the number that tells you if you can go just a little bit harder. And, unless you're passing out, the answer is, predictably, yes."

People who refer to 'the rules' are generally twats. Please post some more so its clear what category you are in.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • daniel_b
    Thanks chaps, I ended up ordering both books - left the new one for the time being - out of interest I incorrectly assumed Amazon would be cheapest, but in fact Wordery.com were.

I definitely do not 'need' these pedals, like I don't need a carbon bike or nice groupset, but I want the pedals and a nice carbon bike and groupset :-)

I'm a sucker for numbers and stats to crunch on when not on the bike, so am of the opinion this will increase my enjoyment of my hobby, and hopefully give me the opportunity to increase my performance as well.
    I always enjoy my cycling more when I feel I have some real (for me) power in my legs.
    Planning to start some TT's later this year as well, so think it will prove useful for that if nothing else.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    This is relative to my interests!