Pain in the knee...

andrewthomas197
andrewthomas197 Posts: 117
Hello,

I have developed a pain in my right knee (outside of the knee cap) after about 2.5hours riding.

I have been told it is my IT Band, no idea what that is or what it does, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what I can do about it.

Can't really think of anything different with the bike or setup, it just seems to have appeared.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    What pedals are you using? Having you taken a couple of days rest? Do you stretch / foam roller?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Yes it's most likely your IT band. Get a foam roller as that will release it. Generally it's due to saddle height, but cleat position and saddle fore/aft can play a role. Make sure you have adequate float and you don't feel your feet pushing against the inside or outside of your shoes. After that start adjusting your saddle height a few mm at a time (I'd start by moving it down) and pay attention on how your knees feel during and post ride.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    ITB issues are VERY common, especially with runners. Foam rolling and stretching is the usual solution.
  • Grill
    Core strength? Really? I can't barely do a sit up but have no ITB issues since sorting my position.
  • Grill
    Your physio wants you to do squats too? Does he have a degree or simply a placement with 'I'm a physio' written on it in crayon? Get rid of him and get one who's actually a cyclist and understands the corresponding biomechanics.
  • Grill
    I stand by my statements. I have zero ITB issues (even on 400 mile rides or a century a day for a week) despite have bad knees (no cartilage), zero flexibility and a super weak core. Proper position first, seeing someone that makes excuses for a poor position second. ;)
  • Grill
    joe2008 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Core strength? Really? I can't barely do a sit up but have no ITB issues since sorting my position.
    Grill wrote:
    I stand by my statements. I have zero ITB issues (even on 400 mile rides or a century a day for a week) despite have bad knees (no cartilage), zero flexibility and a super weak core. Proper position first, seeing someone that makes excuses for a poor position second. ;)

hmmm, zero flexibility and a super weak core, I wonder why you have bad knees?

Core strength is not defined by being able to do a sit up; core strength is the strengthening of all the muscles which attach to the spine and the pelvis, and that includes the IT band.

This is a great IT band stretch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYM3KWwrGY

Did my knees running actually. At the time my core was at it's strongest as I was an avid gym nut. When I started cycling I had huge ITB issues. Since sorting my position I've had none. It doesn't take a degree in deductive reasoning to see why that is...
  • I've had on and off ITB pain, since returning to cycling a couple of years back. Having given a local physio a go, and being proscribed lots of squats and rollering with little appreciable benefit, I went for a bike fit which did help. It also picked up a few issues with me that I'm trying to address, namely inflexible ankles and a lack of hip strength.

Annoyingly, after some time off the bike, I seem to be getting ITB problems again. My feeling is that I will try a physio with experience of cycling issues.
  • Not a day goes by without recommendations of stretching or foam rollering to cure all pains.

Get you position on your bike sorted first.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Not a day goes by without recommendations of stretching or foam rollering to cure all pains.

Get you position on your bike sorted first.
    There's space for both.
    Improved bike position may address the cause, or part of it, as may core strengthening and stretching.
    Stretching and foam rolling may also help alleviate the symptoms.
    They're not mutually exclusive!
  • Thanks everyone.

Bikefit now booked for next week so we will see what happens then.

My wife is a runner and she has been telling me of the virtues of foam rolling, so will persist with that as well.

I hate getting old....