Resistance with power based training

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
I use Trainer Road and have my turbo set on the second lowest resistance. To me this feels most like the road and the speeds I put out are about the same too (not that that matters).

What I'm assuming is it doesn't really make too much difference what the resistance is as it is going to be the gearing / cadence that determines the power - and x amount of watts is x watts.

Is this correct?

Whilst I'm typing it has just occurred to me that if my FTP jumps up another 100 watts I might need to up the resistance so that I'm not having to spin at 100rpm in top gear to put out my FTP.

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    The trainer profiles dropdown menu should have the level listed beside the turbo model. Just go up a level and change it, otherwise you're cheating yourself :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • CptKernow
    NeXXus wrote:
    The trainer profiles dropdown menu should have the level listed beside the turbo model. Just go up a level and change it, otherwise you're cheating yourself :)

But power is power isn't it?
    TR level is set to me turbo level.
  • CptKernow wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

All Virtual powers aren't equal.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

All Virtual powers aren't equal.

Care to elaborate?!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    CptKernow wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

If actually measuring power, what TR does is guesstimate it based on known curves of trainers and speed.

Air temp, viscosity and temp of fluid trainers, pressure and condition of tyres all affect the outcome.

The simple solution to not doing 100rpm is increase resistance
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Have been using TR since 2012... and yes the VP function is good but on the whole it will overread your power output when compared to an actual PM. Not by much... but enough to give false sense of your abilities.
    Having said that, training is training... so everyone is a winner at the end of it.
    I would stick to that resistance that mimics your road sense and carry on.