SRAM WOW!!!

2»

Comments

• meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Are hoods really that much of a problem for people? I've got Red, Ultegra and Record on different bikes and can't say I've ever finished a ride thinking that the shape of the hoods was either good or bad...

The method of shifting, perhaps, although even then I adapt to any of them pretty quickly.
    I read the book Bike Fit by Phil Burt and he was saying how different people are in sensitivity to set up. Some would notice the slightest change and complain, whilst others could just get on almost any bike and just ride. I'd say you are not hyper sensitive to small changes, thankfully neither am I.
    Good book, worth a read.

Maybe. I can tell when my saddle is a couple of mm too high or too low but I never really gave the shape of the hoods a second thought.

I'll have a look for that book though - thanks!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I thought that 9001 had resolved the cable snapping issue? Certainly not had an issue with mine. The dura cassette definitely has a design flaw, lots of people tend to run the ultegra one or you can run the Red 22 cassette (which I do) which is lighter but pricey.

On Saturday at the end of a 65 mile ride i had my first cable snap on my left Dura Ace 9001 shifter. i was using the original Dura Ace polymer cable for around 9 months. So no, the problem still exists. :evil:

i've also been using the Dura Ace 9001 revised cassette for 1000+ miles, no problems whatsover.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Ok tested latest SRAM 22 group yesterday for 2 hr ride, shifter ergonomics big improvement over previous 10 speed version but still rather Shimano. :lol:
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    neilr4 wrote:
    Ok tested latest SRAM 22 group yesterday for 2 hr ride, shifter ergonomics big improvement over previous 10 speed version but still rather Shimano. :lol:

Have you thought about their(Shimano) electric group to get around the reported cable issues ?
    :idea: Mate of mine had DA and was forever using the ET option.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Origami02 wrote:
    Have you thought about their(Shimano) electric group to get around the reported cable issues ?
    :idea: Mate of mine had DA and was forever using the ET option.

I have.... Almost went with Ultegra di2 but found the shifting buttons too small and sensitive plus a mate of mine had someone accidentally brush against his left shifter in the last bend in a crit and he ended up in the small ring :roll: Another guy (himself a mechanic) arrived at a race and his FD wouldn't work, bye bye race :evil: :x

The appeal of adding satellite shifters was certainly appealing but rather the simplicity of mechanical.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    trailflow wrote:
    I thought that 9001 had resolved the cable snapping issue? Certainly not had an issue with mine. The dura cassette definitely has a design flaw, lots of people tend to run the ultegra one or you can run the Red 22 cassette (which I do) which is lighter but pricey.

On Saturday at the end of a 65 mile ride i had my first cable snap on my left Dura Ace 9001 shifter. i was using the original Dura Ace polymer cable for around 9 months. So no, the problem still exists. :evil:
    Er one cable failure after 9 months is hardly indicative of a major flaw is it?

I dunno, perhaps you only ride your bike once a month. Do you store it in the little ring to relieve tension on the cable?

Quite honestly if you're spending dura-ace money I don't know why you wouldn't just get an electronic groupset, everyone I've spoken to raves about them.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015
    TimothyW wrote:

No not at all but when there are multiple reports it is abit of a coincidence that it has happened. Reading up on it, it could be a problem with a batch of Shimano polymer cables. My right shifter is running a stainless cable from a different brand with no problems. i have now installed a normal stainless cable on the left so time will tell. I will add though that in over 15 years of mtb'ing and 4+ years of road cycling i have never snapped a cable, ever. i've frayed and ruined them through over clamping but never had one snap right at the head within the mechanism. Like what happened here. I have a feeling it is the polymer cables myself.
    I dunno, perhaps you only ride your bike once a month. Do you store it in the little ring to relieve tension on the cable?

i ride 2 to 4 times a week with distances between 20 to 70 miles. i use the bike for getting around as my main form of transport. So it gets used quite often. i always store the bike with the chain on the small front ring and i shift the RD into 11t.
    Quite honestly if you're spending dura-ace money I don't know why you wouldn't just get an electronic groupset, everyone I've spoken to raves about them.

i have owned DA7900, Campag Veloce, Ultegra 6800, Ultegra 6870 Di2, DA9000, Sram Red 22 and DA9070 Di2 part/groupsets and i have gone back to DA9000 because i prefer the tactile feel and feedback of the shifting and also the shape of the brake levers feel better to me on 9000. Di2 is good but it isn't for everyone. Plenty of criticism of it is in this thread. If you want to read viewtopic.php?t=13007044&p=19331128
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Have Red on one bike, 105 on another and had Force on the one before. I like the feel and the shifting system of SRAM more, but I find Shimano slightly better for dropping down rear gears when climbing.

The SRAM front mechs are slightly more tricky to set up, I've found with both Force and Red a high cable tension gives perfect shifting every time. (Just pointing that out as a lot of people seem to criticise/struggle with SRAM front mechs).

I do really like SRAM, and my next groupset will almost certainly be their wireless offering (when it drops a bit in price and any initial problems after release have been ironed out).

My thoughts exactly - Force 22 on one bike and a 105/Ultegra mix on another and i much prefer my SRAM. Have ridden DA9000 and still preferred my F22. However i couldnt get the front mech working initially as cable tension wasnt high enough.

It can also be a bit clunky out of the saddle going uphill. But IMO this is finding a fault as opposed to a real issue

What i love is the mechanical feel to the shifting. Its a very definite feel and thats what i prefer
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Cables snap, that's life. Had one go on my bike with 6800 shifters after 5000 miles of bad weather riding. C'est la vie. Funny enough, I haven't yet managed to snap a Di2 cable...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I always liked all lever shapes I've tried (Shimano, old SRAM & Microshift) but anyway I think SRAM Rival or Force would be a great choice. Personally I'd go for Wi Fi.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    trailflow wrote:

i've also been using the Dura Ace 9001 revised cassette for 1000+ miles, no problems whatsover.

My 9001 right shifter cable was failing every 3 months. I had read somewhere that the 9001 shifter change had nothing to do with the cable routing thought that was an assumption made by many including me.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    TimothyW wrote:
    trailflow wrote:

It is a flaw when it's a common problem being experienced by many. I train 6 days a week which is probably why I was experiencing the cable snapping much more frequently than the 9 months.