BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• PBlakeney wrote:
    today I came home to find an EU citizen rifling my drawERs in my bedroom. Apparently there is a limit to my physical response.

The sooner these immigrant scum are kicked out the better
    FTFY. One wonders if the immigrant scum can spell. You also missed out the capital T and a full stop. Plus there are too many uses of the attributive adjective. Must try harder. :lol:

yes sorry I made grammatical errors and also I shouldn't have beaten the thieving shit up, it was too much. #nottooworried
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rowena Mason
    (@rowenamason)
    Damian Green, leader of the One Nation caucus of MPs, says Boris Johnson told him at meeting:
    - he will not go into election promising no deal Brexit
    - he will not make a pact with Nigel Farage.
    "We looked each other in the eye. I accept and believe the reassurances," says Green

October 9, 2019

Perhaps this should be in the intriguing thread, but what makes people think that just looking someone in the eye allows you to determine whether they are lying? Especially someone so practised in the art.
    Oh, Damian. It appears the PM just said what you wanted to hear.

Nicholas Watt reporting that no. 10 sources saying no deal could be manifesto policy.
    Interesting Australian article on BJ that looks at the way he chooses to operate - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-25/ ... a/11341660 . Why anyone would believe a word he utters is beyond me...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Watching an old Mock the Week from what seems to be about 2015.

Its a different happier place.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    PBlakeney wrote:
    today I came home to find an EU citizen rifling my drawERs in my bedroom. Apparently there is a limit to my physical response.

FTFY. One wonders if the immigrant scum can spell. You also missed out the capital T and a full stop. Plus there are too many uses of the attributive adjective. Must try harder. :lol:

yes sorry I made grammatical errors and also I shouldn't have beaten the thieving shoot up, it was too much. #nottooworried
    Mocking the grammar was the only way to go as no one believes the rest of the content.
    About as believable as BJ or Trump so you could claim vaulted company.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

yes sorry I made grammatical errors and also I shouldn't have beaten the thieving shoot up, it was too much. #nottooworried
    Mocking the grammar was the only way to go as no one believes the rest of the content.

Troll.

Anyway, we are all EU citizens at the moment.
  • silvers
    silvers Posts: 16
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I was reading today somewhere some analysis on how various comments about a no deal impact people's voting intentions. Apparently

Food/medicine shortage -> increases no deal appeal
    It is not what people voted for -> decreases no deal appeal

Therfore, to increase the acceptability of no deal the government needs to portray it as the only option, and therefore it is what people voted for. The BoJo/Merkel call helps with this.

Bizarre but believable. Presumably if Labour want to stand a chance they need to put across a clear and achievable alternative way of leaving. I'll not hold my breath.

Labour has been losing the war while winning all the battles for some time. The problem they have is there is no move they can make that will appeal to voters. Cummings/BoJo have known this since the summer and planned accordingly.

"Project fear" just brings out the rebellious nature in people. "Is it fair" makes them actually think about it.

I’m not sure that I agree with this ... the Pro-brexit lobby have been playing on people’s fears for the last 40 years:
    Loss of sovereignty
    EU army
    Health tourists damaging the NHS
    Etc.

It’s just the real future issues don’t resonate half as much as dialling in to existing prejudices and the ability to blame “someone else” for their own shortcomings.
  • robert88
    Nothing to do with Brexit of course, but I see that Nissan Sunderland are ending their night shift.
    Unite said it believed no jobs will be lost at the plant in Sunderland as a result of the decision, but workers will lose a shift allowance.

The move follows a decline in car sales and has raised fears of a knock-on effect in firms that supply Nissan with parts.

The plant employs about 3,000 workers on the night shift.

It's said the displaced staff will move to day work and an extra production line will commence.
    Reports last week claiming that Nissan was looking at taking Qashqai production away from Sunderland in the event of a no-deal Brexit were denied by the company which said it had no plans to move it.

I guess they are entitled to say that in good faith since the alleged government have no plans for Brexit (allegedly).

WRT the car industry generally, the availability of easy credit is likely to dry up. All those zero interest offers on the way out?
  • The Saturday sitting of parliament on the 19th will vote on May's deal.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    today I came home to find an EU citizen rifling my draws in my bedroom. Apparently there is a limit to my physical response.

Too right, good job there are no British burglars.
    Tw@!
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    today I came home to find an EU citizen rifling my draws in my bedroom. Apparently there is a limit to my physical response.

Tw@!

Probably doesn't help to point out that a British burglar would also be an EU citizen.
  • robert88
    Veronese68 wrote:

Tw@!

Probably doesn't help to point out that a British burglar would also be an EU citizen.

You would be feeding the troll (who is unlikely to be an EU citizen). I did it but I think I got away with it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:

Tw@!

But it probably wouldn't be a British burglar - they don't really tend to have the work ethic or competence.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Tw@!

But it probably wouldn't be a British burglar - they don't really tend to have the work ethic or competence.

Why do you run this country down? British jobs for British burglars.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Tw@!

Why do you run this country down? British jobs for British burglars.

You know how it is - you just can't get the burglars these days and when you do they just rifle through your draws instead of actually nicking stuff. Much better off getting a good honest Polish burglar who burgles tidily and politely and actually nicks stuff worth nicking.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Phillip Hammond has for some reason waited two years or more to point out the obvious fallacy behind the claim that the right to set our own trade policy will deliver some huge advantage.

Benefit from all significant new trade deals +0.5% GDP. Loss from leaving CU for 'Canada minus' FTA -4% GDP.

Better late than never, I suppose.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652

Drawers please. Other than that 10/10. Except for limiting your physical response.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    rjsterry wrote:
    Phillip Hammond has for some reason waited two years or more to point out the obvious fallacy behind the claim that the right to set our own trade policy will deliver some huge advantage.

Benefit from all significant new trade deals +0.5% GDP. Loss from leaving CU for 'Canada minus' FTA -4% GDP.

Does it even consider population change?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    rjsterry wrote:

Over what period is that?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    edited October 2019
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Benefit from all significant new trade deals +0.5% GDP. Loss from leaving CU for 'Canada minus' FTA -4 to -7%% GDP.

Over what period is that?

By 2030. Figures from Treasury and NIESR, I believe. More details on Peter Foster's twitter feed and interview with PH in the Telegraph.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pmdfoster/st ... 0741114881
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Not to mention the decade or so it normally takes to actually agree to these trade deals.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Listening to an old Matt Forde Party Political podcast and was reminded of this.

I just remember they were in a warehouse full of Tilda rice but have no idea why

3500.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=bd4bdf0b8f5d62366f72a8718d2039bd
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Listening to an old Matt Forde Party Political podcast and was reminded of this.

I just remember they were in a warehouse full of Tilda rice but have no idea why

3500.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=bd4bdf0b8f5d62366f72a8718d2039bd
    I'm surprised bj hasn't been to fudge and jam factories yet.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

well believable or not its up to you. I couldn't care less. Though I note that someone found the prospect of it being an EU citizen irrelevant and offensive. and so did admin
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Tw@!

Britain hating twat
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nothing wrong with hating Britain - it's a sh1t country. All the evidence you need is in the news...
  • Britain is great we just need self belief and pride.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Britain is great we just need self belief and pride.

Won't be long before you're advocating 'Strength through joy'...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    I guess this would be kinda big for Sunderland... did they vote for this? https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ness-model
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

My troll-o-meter is reading 3/10 - it's just not up to your usual standards.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rolf_f
    Britain is great we just need self belief and pride.

And grammar.

But more importantly, how does standing in the corner with your back to everyone and sulking equate to self belief and pride? How does sucking up to the Orange Shitgibbon equate to self belief and pride? How does ceasing to have a huge influence across the whole of the EU equate to self belief and pride?

Just saying "Britain is great" doesn't mean it is - it has to be backed up by actions and behaviours. We seem to be pretty dismal at both right now.